Autumn Pictures

Shadow

I remember the previous threads being in the wheeltappers section? Perhaps that would be best for this thread so it gets more exposure (no pun intended..!)

I'm not sure when Autumn officially starts but these are all from september:

9673382575_9288a67c84_b.jpg

9676622990_8733849440_b.jpg

Love this one but it is a shame about the noise...

9656495127_62a51d7a6c_b.jpg

9741723823_0c14aa3320_b.jpg

Andy

I love all the seasons, but the trees are gorgeous if we get a nice indian summer, the later summer helps the trees and sugars with the yellow and red leaves.

med_gallery_17883_2913_969427.jpg

we also  benefit from some lovely skys............. red sky at knight sheperds delight............

med_gallery_17883_2913_275529.jpg

salix britensis

med_gallery_17883_2913_419658.jpg

also salix britensis but with more shelter and not so late in the day

med_gallery_17883_2913_413888.jpg

parrotia persica.

If you modelled these prototypes people would say, "You never get that colour in England." but there they are

Felt like Autumn for the first time at the park this evening. I snapped this as I got back to the car. Didn't have much time as they lock the gates at 8pm.

9922288665_babe8b2645_b.jpg
Blackroot by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

Loving my ND filters but, I'm getting rather annoyed at the low ISO poor noise performance of my Camera (Canon 7D).

Andy

9922288665_babe8b2645_b.jpg
Blackroot by Andrew_S84, on Flickr

Loving my ND filters but, I'm getting rather annoyed at the low ISO poor noise performance of my Camera (Canon 7D).

Andy

Without getting into any debate about Canon products, I sort of have to disagree Andy:  very gently.  These are simply lovely landscapes, great colour effects etc.  Yes, I have gone to Flickr and looked at full size images to see the noise.  It is just that (with reference to our comments over on the trains at speed thread) the resulting "grain" is nothing against what might have come from using HP3 film a generation or more ago.  We should count our blessings that you can get results like this really, don't you think.  I wonder if you could name anything which could do better:  for example do you have experience of a Nikon product.  I don't mean in those comparative tests on the web but in practice?

Anyway, I wish I could do as well!  Still using my "old" 450D.

Richard

Boston Ivy and purple beech

med_gallery_17883_2913_917263.jpg

spider I thought this was focused and yet the hint of autumn colour and the subject still have some merit

med_gallery_17883_2913_726554.jpg

Butterfly and pear nectar, the fruit has fallen and started to rot but the butterflies and wasps are moving in

med_gallery_17883_2913_9341.jpg

Without getting into any debate about Canon products, I sort of have to disagree Andy:  very gently.  These are simply lovely landscapes, great colour effects etc.  Yes, I have gone to Flickr and looked at full size images to see the noise.  It is just that (with reference to our comments over on the trains at speed thread) the resulting "grain" is nothing against what might have come from using HP3 film a generation or more ago.  We should count our blessings that you can get results like this really, don't you think.  I wonder if you could name anything which could do better:  for example do you have experience of a Nikon product.  I don't mean in those comparative tests on the web but in practice?

Anyway, I wish I could do as well!  Still using my "old" 450D.

Richard

No problem at all Richard..!

Perhaps I should count my blessings in regard to past options - that is something I have no experience of unfortunatly (lucky enough not to be old enough..!) and I can only compare against the general consensus and reading product reviews of newer equipment such as the 5d MkIII 70D/6D which all have significantly improved noise performance. A lot of the review websites such as DP review or photozone.de do a lot of side by side and graphical comparisons to make a judgement.

The 7D is a known low performer when it comes to image noise. This is partly because of its high Megapixels on an 1.6x crop sensor partly because technology has moved on as this is a 2009 camera. It was not a problem when I mainly shot sports with fast shutter speeds but it really is accentuated when you take exposures of 1 minute or more and I am finding that is the limiting factor of my photography now.

The only other method of comparison I have at this stage is looking at pictures taken with similar exposure times, similar ISOs etc on Flickr and I appreciate that these are very much subjective with regard to the post processing done etc. I will be going on holiday with a friend in the near future (time not decided yet) to the lake district in order to shoot some landscapes. He has (IIRC) a Nikon D3X so comparison will be interesting at that time.

Technique does come into it too - I'm learning at slightly over exposing in the fading light, by perhaps half a stop and always shooting at ISO 100 (maybe stretch to 200) is helping, plus there is an on camera feature called long exposure noise reduction where the camera will automatically take a second exposure with exactly the same settings as the original but against the back of the shutter curtain. It then subtracts the noise from the original - but obviously that means double the exposure time for 1 image and when its a 2 minute exposure for the clouds or because of the light conditions it is a pain. It also doesn't help that my "big stopper" 10 stop filter is (through testing) closer to 11 stops than 10, so when I use it if its a 2 minute exposure at 10 stops its 4 at 11 and that limits your options to increasing the ISO (or compromising the apature). My only other 2 filters are a 2 and 3 stop - stacked 5 stops which gives you 5 seconds or so.

Andy

anything we can do to get this moved to wheeltappers to hopefully get more pics posted and a bit of a thread going? :)

Andy

No, please leave it where it is... In Wheeltappers, it will disappear come spring time when everyone stops posting.

That's what happened to last year's excelent Autumn thread... :umbrage: :resent:

Trouble is - only a couple of people have posted pics but loads of people did when it was in wheel tappers!

Trouble is - only a couple of people have posted pics but loads of people did when it was in wheel tappers!

Can you move it to get a larger interest then request a move once it would wain there?

edit= Any railway / autumn pictures would be great. Unfortunately I don't have any.

med_gallery_17883_2913_93021.jpg

August a bit of a stretch

Nov Boston Ivy behind the white roses

med_gallery_17883_2913_342827.jpg

Fungi

med_gallery_17883_2913_849327.jpg

edit= Any railway / autumn pictures would be great. Unfortunately I don't have any.

OK then, all from today.

The light was pretty bad, but I saw these first leaves turning, so used the low light to pick a low shutter speed:

post-6971-0-95863900-1380816989.jpg

And for the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, I can definitely do mists. Was it ever dull this morning:

post-6971-0-59334600-1380816991.jpg
post-6971-0-36093100-1380816993.jpg
post-6971-0-85679100-1380816994.jpg

Tornado at Rotherham, going from Barrow Hill to Grosmont.

...but the mellow fruitfulness will have to wait, at least until I work out what it actually means.

Like them all, the first one having the autumn colours and the 'fast' train passing is very arty.

Interesting with the speed limited? Does that mean HST can do 100 but anything else restricted to 90? Is that common?

Hopefully being more Model Train orientated will encourage more. The mist is another great feature associated to autumn (and spring)

Interesting with the speed limited? Does that mean HST can do 100 but anything else restricted to 90? Is that common?

Basically, yes and yes. Fairly common, and the definition of HST may include more than just the Inter-City 125 as they were once known. Differential speed limits I think is the term. Sometimes for freight versus/passenger, other times certain types of passenger train versus others. 

Here

I'm loving these pictures  .....  

I can't compete, so must get a life and get out there with a camera  ...........

In the meanwhile, I can do Spring, Autumn and Winter all in one shot  ...............

10073018543_a72e3250ef.jpg
DSC_0738 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

Well, sort of  .........................

J

PS. Any questions about which is Winter and which is Autumn will be simply taken on the chin   .............

OK then, all from today.

The light was pretty bad, but I saw these first leaves turning, so used the low light to pick a low shutter speed:

attachicon.gifIMGP7419.jpg

And for the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness, I can definitely do mists. Was it ever dull this morning:

Tornado at Rotherham, going from Barrow Hill to Grosmont.

...but the mellow fruitfulness will have to wait, at least until I work out what it actually means.

I've always wondered how people know (accurately) when and where to be to see steam on the mainline. I was leaving work for a hospital appointment last wednesday and when when I went over the railway bridge at Water Orton in warwickshire I saw a bloke with a camera and a few kids looking over the bridge - a bit further on I saw a trail of smoke and I later checked uksteam to see that it was Britannia (although the times quoted on the site were 10 minutes before i passed the same section) travelling from tyseley to the south.

it was Britannia (although the times quoted on the site were 10 minutes before i passed the same section) travelling from tyseley to the south.

It seems that steam has lost  the old timetable routines  .............................   :prankster:

J

Archived