Autumn Pictures

Shadow

Hi Julian,

I like the calm water, so seldom seen in the UK.

I have a couple of pictures of some DofEd kids against a Welsh Lake, which has not a single ripple to be seen.

I told the kids to turn round and look at a sight they might never see again  .....   got some quizzical looks until I asked them how often they had been in Wales, with no wind.

Sure enough, about a minute later the ripples very gently spread again.

It isn't Autumn so not really fr posting here though.

J

I can relate to that. I was in Scotland around the West Coast in late February this year. The weather was exceptionally good for the time of year - bright sunshine, snow on the hills and not a cloud in the sky. Whilst driving across Rannoch Moor one of the lochs was as calm as a mirror with a fantastic reflection of the snow capped hills perfectly displayed on the water. I had my camera with me but alas there was nowhere safe to stop the car :(

Julian   

Or, as we are talking photography, you can always cheat and shoot a long exposure. Most of the time a few seconds will be enough to freeze the water and give it an almost glass plate or mirror like feel. Of course, you need an ND filter (dark piece of glass) to do this during the day time, as in some of my photos.

OOooooohhh!!!

A_S  ........   :O

Can I have you as an Expert Witness when I next trigger one of those ******* speed camera thingies  .....  with my brick shaped car, that reflects more radar pulses than the ones the Guns are calibrated for  .. 

J

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. I love this time of year.

The best day is when we get our tree cutting permit and a flask of Glen Levit then go on the anual family christmas tree hunt in the snow!

Our house is down there just left of center!

• RMweb Premium

This is Emegrent lake to the east of Ashland where we used to live. The pic is looking west towards Ashland taken end October 2010 on the top of Songer butte in the center of the lake.

The snow capped mountain is Grissley Peak, Where Mrs. Sasquatch and I tied the knot! 

post-8964-0-07348000-1385316891_thumb.jpg

OOooooohhh!!!

A_S  ........   :O

Can I have you as an Expert Witness when I next trigger one of those ******* speed camera thingies  .....  with my brick shaped car, that reflects more radar pulses than the ones the Guns are calibrated for  .. 

J

You've totally lost me on your post up there J! I can honestly say I have no idea what you mean..!

Anyway - Wales last weekend and this I was back up north to see family. The oportunity presented itself to go back to the Bridges and try and improve on my previous attempt(s) a couple of months back. One of which was posted here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76468-autumn-pictures/?p=1167520

I also took one with the Anchor seen below (Its on my flickr if you want to have a look) and missed the focus on the bridge a little which despite some nice clouds, i felt ruined the photo a bit. This was during a period where I was questioning the quality of my Canon EFS 10-22mm lens.

In the intervening period I've had a bit of GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome). The theory of which is that your heart says you want a new peice of kit and your head justifies it by suggesting it will significantly improve your photography, it rarely does.

However in this case the replacement (Canon 16-35 F2.8L II) definitely has the x-factor, despite a few typical post GAS doubts whether I did the right thing (and that is one expensive peice of glass..). I'm really pleased how these came out but not sure whether I like the long exposure water (as described above, glass plate effect) or whether the natural calmness with a little ripple in my initial exposure test shot gives a better effect:

11016340596_07e6278af2_c.jpg

11016237865_bfab8cb099_c.jpg

11038576223_929bd6d44a_c.jpg

The lens produces some really nice sun star effects:

11016407844_427f625fae_c.jpg

P.s Fingers crossed these work ok. I'm a big fan of the new flickr as some of you may remember from that discussion but one thing has really hacked me off tonight - the way they have changed it these last few days, there is a massive bug when trying to pull out the BB code (with link to photostream etc). its all pretty icons but it isnt clear whih icon i need, no roll over tips either to help me find out to get the bb code which puts your photostream details and picture in... and I cant see the options for resolution as the drop down hides itself behind the photo..!

edit:

looks like I failed. not what you want at 23.55.... ffs flickr. It also doesnt help that this forum sw shows me the pictures and not the code... I'm editing it, what logic is it to show me the picture?! :s i want to edit the link... grrr.

Good Job I know how to manipuate the flickr source code to download photos which the author has blocked downloads on..! Managed to fix it that way without the need for the buggy interface.

/rant over!

Andy

You've totally lost me on your post up there J! I can honestly say I have no idea what you mean..!

Anyway - Wales last weekend and this I was back up north to see family. The oportunity presented itself to go back to the Bridges and try and improve on my previous attempt(s) a couple of months back. One of which was posted here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/76468-autumn-pictures/?p=1167520

I also took one with the Anchor seen below (Its on my flickr if you want to have a look) and missed the focus on the bridge a little which despite some nice clouds, i felt ruined the photo a bit. This was during a period where I was questioning the quality of my Canon EFS 10-22mm lens.

In the intervening period I've had a bit of GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome). The theory of which is that your heart says you want a new peice of kit and your head justifies it by suggesting it will significantly improve your photography, it rarely does.

However in this case the replacement (Canon 16-35 F2.8L II) definitely has the x-factor, despite a few typical post GAS doubts whether I did the right thing (and that is one expensive peice of glass..). I'm really pleased how these came out but not sure whether I like the long exposure water (as described above, glass plate effect) or whether the natural calmness with a little ripple in my initial exposure test shot gives a better effect:

11016237865_042641d8f3_b.jpg

11038576223_f05157d235_b.jpg

The lens produces some really nice sun star effects:

11016407844_fbb2eec51b_b.jpg

P.s Fingers crossed these work ok. I'm a big fan of the new flickr as some of you may remember from that discussion but one thing has really hacked me off tonight - the way they have changed it these last few days, there is a massive bug when trying to pull out the BB code (with link to photostream etc). its all pretty icons but it isnt clear whih icon i need, no roll over tips either to help me find out to get the bb code which puts your photostream details and picture in... and I cant see the options for resolution as the drop down hides itself behind the photo..!

edit:

looks like I failed. not what you want at 23.55.... ffs flickr. It also doesnt help that this forum sw shows me the pictures and not the code... I'm editing it, what logic is it to show me the picture?! :s i want to edit the link... grrr.

Good Job I know how to manipuate the flickr source code to download photos which the author has blocked downloads on..! Managed to fix it that way without the need for the buggy interface.

/rant over!

Andy

Simply..... stunning!

Thank you - I posted them on Talkphotography and got a bit of a pasting (well not quite but some criteque) that the horizon's werent perfect so I have reuploaded and corrected these. Plus I added a slighty different perspective shot without the anchor as people said it took away from the bridge! They can be harsh :P

Well I thought the juxtaposiotn of the red smooth bridge (3rd version) reflected in the water and the fact it picks up black which draws your eye to the anchor at the front and its textured surface which takes your eye nicely across the whole picture instead of focusing you onto only one area.  in fact the different textures give it complexity. The grey in the cloud goes nicely with the pavement in the foreground, and the orangey tones on the land to the left echo the highlights of the bridge. Theres echoes and more echoes beyond the reflection / echo. 

• 9 months later...

Archived