RMweb

Restored Prototype HST power car

Southernman46

Not seen a thread for this (I think) ?

Isn't this just a splendid thing to be happening..................

http://www.projectmiller.org.uk/

Another Prototype model for Heljan to be getting their teeth into............?

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 2

I must say I agree........I remember the one that wasn't saved in the scrap line at Derby Works open day in 82'.......it would have been fantastic to have the pair, and a couple of the original MK3's, which are still knocking around, as a unit. The Valenta sound was awesome, even though it wasn't something that you conciously thought about back in the day.

A proper pioneer for sure. 

• Like 1

I think a preserved HST set is an ideal preservation project, especially if it can be maintained in full main line condition. These units are approaching 40 years old and it is amazing that they are still in front line service doing what they were designed to do. I don't recall any other trains being in service that long except the 1938 tube stock and the a stock! (waits for barrage of other units to arrive)

I must say I agree........I remember the one that wasn't saved in the scrap line at Derby Works open day in 82'.......it would have been fantastic to have the pair, and a couple of the original MK3's, which are still knocking around, as a unit. The Valenta sound was awesome, even though it wasn't something that you conciously thought about back in the day.

A proper pioneer for sure. 

Agreed.  Many moons ago I did my A-levels at Bridgwater College and so, for two years, I was regularly regaled with the glorious turbine howl of Valentas running full chat as the HSTs accelerated away from Bridgwater station.

• RMweb Gold

Indeed and there's a very good article about it in the latest issue of Rail Express. Personally I think that this project is more worthwhile than yet another Deltic, 50 etc being preserved.

A worthwhile project for sure. However I'm not aware of yet more 50s and 55's that have been found to be preserved. Surely those that survive have already been preserved.

Definitely!  

I'm not normally that worked up about non-steam motive power, but the IC125 is special.  Brilliantly successful,  it looked great, -  still does.  This is largely due to the work  of Kenneth Grange who also designed the Instamatic camera, Kenwood Chef, 1997 London Taxi.  Read more here:

http://www.interestingtimestours.co.uk/index.php?mact=CGBlog,cntnt01,default,0&cntnt01category_id=14&cntnt01returnid=87

I have no connection with this page.. It's large and to save scrolling through for ages, you may wish to search the page for the term "chef."

The IC125 proves once and for all that large pieces of functional machinery can be beautiful even in the modern era.

Think about that for a moment and then think about the grotesque Class 70!

The Class 52 Westerns looked great and they were also breathed on by someone who wanted to make them look good.  I can't remember who that was.

Edited by Stringfingerling
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Look forward to seeing it pushing the improvised Mk 1 control trailer back from Rushcliffe...does it run yet? What happened to the other one?

Dava

Look forward to seeing it pushing the improvised Mk 1 control trailer back from Rushcliffe...does it run yet? What happened to the other one?

Dava

Not sure what they are using for that, do you know? There was Laboratory 1 in the Yard, but I doubt that will be in action any time soon.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Premium

Will it ever be allowed out on the mainline - didn't they have to have side windows or something?

IIRC that was a union objection  (like the central driving console - i.e. designed for a single driver) rather than a safety one per say though the end result was the same - BR were forced to change it on the production models as a result.

As regards having no side windows their is a president for this on the UKs railways in the form of the Eurostar cabs which despite having no side windows, a central driving position and a much more restricted view forwards had no significant problems being accepted for use on the classic UK network in Kent.

Dava

Hi

A little further information regarding how we will operate the Prototype HST at GCRN, the basic plan is to operate in top and tail form with the class 56 on the other end (or indeed any air braked loco) with the coaches being the predominantly blue and grey air braked mk2 set which currently consists of 4 coaches with a further coach requiring some restoration.

Hope this clears up the plan a little..

mike

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

'125 Group is very sad to announce that unique Prototype Power Car 41001 will be returning to its owner, the National Railway Museum at York in early November, at the end of the current operating agreement. Despite best efforts, 125 Group and the Science Museum Group have been unable to reach a new agreement and the Science Museum Group has made the decision to terminate the loan.'

I posted on an existing  thread yesterday which has mysteriously disappeared, but there is a good deal of controversy about this announcement, including 'reasons given' by the NRM and responses by the 125 Group.

https://www.125group.org.uk/

https://twitter.com/125Group

• AY Mod locked this topic