Tales from the Treatment Room

Mike Boucher

It's always annoying when you have to undo work that took a while to complete, sorry about the brake rigging. Sometimes kit instructions are not the greatest guide.

But the news on the health front surely outweighs that! Hope you continue to do well!

Hi Mike, the cattle wagon looks good. Just one point which may not be a problem. As far as I know black and white, Friesan, cows didn't come into the UK until 1947.

Jamie

A common error often repeated in model railway circles, but Friesians have been imported into Britain since the 19th century with a short break from 1892 due to a serious outbreak of foot and mouth on the continent. Granted they weren't as common a breed here back then as more home-grown ones, but (what became known as) the British Friesian is a perfectly acceptable occupant, particularly in the East of England and Scotland. It was the American Holstein-Friesian breed (a different bloodline) which appeared here just after WW2. Edited by Buckjumper

A common error often repeated in model railway circles, but Friesians have been imported into Britain since the 19th century with a short break from 1892 due to a serious outbreak of foot and mouth on the continent. Granted they weren't as common a breed here back then as more home-grown ones, but (what became known as) the British Friesian is a perfectly acceptable occupant, particularly in the East of England and Scotland. It was the American Holstein-Friesian breed (a different bloodline) which appeared here just after WW2.

You know, when I was buying the cows, I held packages with both brown and black cows in them (the only two options).  Flipped a coin, and took the black ones.  Glad to hear it was a reasonable outcome...

BTW - my 9 year old son asked why I didn't put in "oreo cookie cows".  (or as you folks may know them, "Belted Galloways")  Wish he had asked me before I glued them in, I would have painted all 4 of the cows... ;)

OK, now for the question...

If you look back a bit, the previous 7mm kit I was working on (before the cattle mutilation) was a GWR container flat.  I seem to remember someone sending me a message about a trader who sold cast brass tie downs for said flat, but I can't find the message.

Does that ring a bell with anyone?  Or does anyone know who that supplier might be?

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday morning the weather was in the low 40's, with a forecast of winds and rain in the afternoon, with colder weather on Sunday and the temps dropping even further by Monday AM,  Seeing a short window, I took the opportunity to weather the completed wagons.  Here are the results:

The MR cattle van:

post-7591-0-28785000-1395625068.jpg

Not too happy with the roof here, I wiped the water based paint off several times while it was still wet because it didn't look right, and eventually came out like this.  To me, it looks "skunkish", where there are two darker streaks on either side of the centerline, which is about the same tone as the edges.  I think it needs to be a darker in the middle, so the middle is darkest and edges lightest.  Couldn't get it looking right with the airbrush, so I might try some brush applied washes, drybrushing, or weathering powders.

The GWR Fruit van, showing lighter weathering on the roof…

post-7591-0-83618300-1395625102.jpg

The GWR open wagon, both the sides and looking down at the dirty floor…

post-7591-0-91038100-1395625121.jpg

post-7591-0-01369700-1395625137.jpg

All 3 of these are now officially moved to the "finished" list.

Still have one to complete: the GWR container flat.

post-7591-0-93534600-1395625184.jpg

Weathering is done, but the I found the trader I couldn't recall: CPL products.  I've had a conversation via email with Pat, and he's expecting my check for some shackles to hold down the container.  When they arrive I'll permanently attach the container.

That's all for now.  I still don't have a definitive date for the transplant, and I'm curious to see what restrictions on modeling I'll be under.  Doubt I'll be able to solder due to the fumes, and the fumes from the solvent glues are probably going to be verboten as well.  I suspect there will be a while where my only work will be in designing stuff.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some work done in the 7 days I'll be in the hospital before the actual transplant...  I still have a few projects to finish "in the treatment room", and a few still waiting in the pile...

Edited by Mike Boucher
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Well, the treatment room is closed for quite a while.  I'm at "Day -4".  Day 0 is May 8th, the day I get the transplant.  I checked into Boston's Brigham and Women's hospital on Friday, and I'm getting chemo to remove what's left of my immune system.

The doctors have told me no modelling until further notice.  Solvent fumes aren't good, and using sharp knives is also forbidden (lest a cut gets infected).  I tried to bring the container flat into the room so I could attach the screw couplings and the tie down chains, but they were more through than airport security and didn't even want me to have tweezers in.

With all this, it means no modeling at all.  Solvent fumes - bad.  Solder fumes - worse.  Sanding wood - bad.  Accidentally cutting my finger - bad.  Keeping my sanity - optional.

Thanks to all for your well wishes and support over the past few months.  When I'm back modelling, I'll let you know!

• RMweb Premium

All the best Mike.  I hope it all goes well.  You will just have to take vicarious pleasure out of watching other peoples modelling from the treatment room.  It could be like when I got promoted at work and had to let the people I supervised do the job that I loved, and eventually learned to get great satisfaction from doing that.  So think of it as a kind of promotion.

Jamie

All the best. I recall the operation I had some 15 years ago to have two cervical disks fused, too much pain before the op to model, impossible for months afterwards while I had to wear a neck brace while it all meshed together.

But sometimes the project on the bench is your own health and well being, and you have to put yourselves in the hands of those who, like us, wield tools and instruments to do a bit of kit bashing.

Go into that room knowing we're all pulling for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks,

Quick update to the thread...

The transplant was May 9th, so I'm almost 50 days out.  Thanx for all the well wishes!  Still recovering, but doing much better!  Up to walking about 1/2 mile day, and trying to keep busy with non-modelling stuff.

But, I took some time this week to finish the GWR container flat.  Before undergoing the transplant, I prepped all the parts for Slaters screw couplings and CPL tie downs, filing everything to fit and blackening the brass.  Over 3 days this week, I attached these to the kit.  I now consider this kit finished.

The CPL tie downs were among the fiddliest things I ever worked on.  Probably took 2.5 hours to get the 4 of them assembled and attached.  The instructions say they should only be 1 chain link from the shackle to the hook, but even that was too long to attach to the outer most hooks on the flat, way too much slack.  So, I decided to attach to the inner hooks and add 5 links of chain.  Probably not prototype, but it was the best compromise.  I wasn't able to get them as tight as I wanted to, but the kit looks MUCH better with them on the without!

Here's where it sits now.

post-7591-0-50486700-1403903855.jpg

I'm still not allowed to do any work with solvent based anything, no plastic glue nor paint.   But, I can use acrylic paint, so I'll be painting up a D&S horsebox I was working on in my "home workbench" thread.  I'll be updating that (hopefully soon) after that's painted up.

• Like 10

Hi Mike,

If you think the CPL tie downs are fiddly, you should try their corridor connectors as you also have to be an expert in origami :O .

You have made a nice job of the container flat, you just need the layout to put it on now. Great to hear your recovery is going well and like Dennis said we are all     " rootin for you" over this side of the pond.

ATB,

Martyn.

Edited by 3 link

I have only just discovered this inspirational thread Mike. Like you, I have CLL, but currently it is only Stage A, or watch and wait. Your positive attitude is a real tonic. All the best for the future.

Hi Paul,

Good luck!  I'll be thinking of you!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi folks,

I noticed that it was exactly 1 year ago today I opened this thread, so I thought I would give a quick update as my "closing" post…

I'm now over 4 months from my transplant.  Recovery has been going well, the doctors have overall been happy with the progress, but that's not to say there haven't been some bumps in the road.

Related to Model railroading, the doctors recently gave me clearance to start working with plastic models again.  I can use glue on plastic, but I'm still not allowed to solder or use my machine shop.  I'm not supposed to be painting with anything but using brushes and acrylic, but I have done a couple of quick spray paint jobs (standing outside in the yard, with a respirator on, and keep the item in the garage until dry, no fumes inside the house)

I've continued work on the N scale factory kitbash, working on the roof.  I'm not sure I'm happy with the painting, I have to figure out what to do to better merge the colors, or repaint a few things so they're not pitch black.  Here's what it looks like as of this morning.

post-7591-0-83693900-1411677362.jpg

Most of the details on the roof aren't glued on, they're just sitting there by gravity.  As you can see, I've also started making a diorama, just enough track so a 50' boxcar fits while there's a 40' car aligned with the loading bay door, but I'm planning on scratchbuilding a loading dock the length of that bump out.  The factory will be removable from the diorama for future use on an Ntrak module…

However, since I'm not in the treatment room anymore, I'm going to post more details, and all future updates and pictures of what I'm working on in my "regular" workbench thread.  That can be found here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/18405-bouchs-7mm-workbench/

Hope you continue to follow my work over there!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Hi folks,

Unfortunately, the Treatment room is opening up again.  A little while ago, the doctors found that my leukemia has relapsed.  I'm going to be starting new treatments, which involves both a daily pill and 10 infusions over 6 months.  Depending on a few factors, I'll either start the infusions next Thursday (11/3) or a month later (12/1)

So, after processing this for a while, I starting thinking, "what am I going to build this time?"  I went back and forth between either a bunch of "easy" Slaters or Parkside kits, or something more complex, like the C&O Caboose (which still isn't finished, but if you look at my workbench thread, its close!) or the N scale factory (which I did finish!  Here's a picture)

post-7591-0-45385000-1477671709.jpg

I've decided to stick with O scale, but I've chosen two somewhat challenging kits.  The first many will recognize, a Slaters 7mm Midland 57' full brake.

post-7591-0-65647700-1477671752_thumb.jpg

I bought this kit because this photo captivated me from the moment I first saw it.

post-7591-0-99273600-1477671783.jpg

Can't explain why, but it did.  It's probably a combination of really liking Stanier designed locos, plus the "modelable" length of the train, plus the passenger brake, and then the angle of the photo somehow gives it a sense of motion (looks like its leaning), plus the fog give a certain atmosphere (no pun intended) to the picture.  Just a wonderful image.

I've also acquired Slaters kits for the 3 3000 gallon and 1 2000 gallon milk tanks.  (but still need the Black 5!)  So, I'll have a prototype train.  (although it doesn't look like the tanks are in the blue "Express Dairies" paint scheme, the transfers which came with the kids, but close enough!)

The other is a US prototype, so its 1:48, but its significantly smaller.  An On3 (NOT On30!) Porter side tank with tender, both from Grandt Line kits.  I've had these kits for probaby 20+ years, and they're now discontinued at Grandt, so hopefully I don't mess anything up!  I've started building modules for a 18' x 30" On3 switching layout, and building these kits seems like a good motivation to work on that more and start laying track.  Hopefully I'll have track laid so I can test run when I get to that point.

post-7591-0-45781800-1477671819_thumb.jpg

post-7591-0-08035000-1477672036_thumb.jpg

The drawing shows the tender with a slightly different Porter than I have, I have the square side tank version, as shown here.

post-7591-0-22475700-1477672051.jpg

So, wish me luck, and I'll post updates as I go along.  If I don't start treatment for a month, then there will be a bit of a pause before my next update.  I also don't expect both kits will be finished within the 6 months, but I'll burn that bridge when I get to it...   ;)

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Unfortunately, the Treatment room is opening up again.  A little while ago, the doctors found that my leukemia has relapsed.  I'm going to be starting new treatments, which involves both a daily pill and 10 infusions over 6 months.  Depending on a few factors, I'll either start the infusions next Thursday (11/3) or a month later (12/1)

Sorry to hear the b4st4rd has come back, Mike - wishing you all the best!

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Premium

I ticked like but also wanted to tick friendly/supportive Mike but really do wish you well. Those Slater's kits are very good, I've built a few so if you get stuck feel free to ask. Also if you look for Powsides they do several alternative liveries for the Slaters tank wagons. I also have a vague idea that Slaters may have some alternative sets of transfers on their website.

Good luck and I look forward to further updates.

Jamie