RMweb

BR 4 Wheel Flatrol Scratchbuild

Update.

After a nine month wait for some buffers I have revived this project and hope to see it through to the finish fairly soon.  I have fitted the buffers and added reinforcing plates behind the coupling hooks on the bufferbeams.  I've made up some brake gear from some bits of brass wire and plasticard, plus some brake shoes I had left over from a kit. I finished making the springs and fitted them, including some pieces on the bottom of the spring hangers.

post-1855-0-54134300-1402417554_thumb.jpg

post-1855-0-52808500-1402417571_thumb.jpg

post-1855-0-22652200-1402417595_thumb.jpg

I've also experimented with the Archer rivet transfers, just onto a scrap of plasticard and given a blast of grey primer.  I think they look pretty good, although possibly too small.  I have a pack of the next size up too, so I might use them for the top where they will be more noticeable. I bought the smallest ones because I wanted them to look fine and fit inside some of the angle strip on the model.  I've now started the long process of fitting them all over the model.  I'll leave the tops to last as they will be the most likely to get disturbed by handling.

post-1855-0-03672900-1402417896_thumb.jpg

post-1855-0-09837600-1402417915_thumb.jpg

post-1855-0-30171300-1402417936_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll continue with the rivets this week, although I have to do it in small batches because I don't have the patience for doing too much at once!

Rick

Colin,

Thanks for the kind words.  The buffers came from Model Railway Developments http://www.emardee.org.uk/ and they are 'GWR self contained wagon buffers'.  They are quite nice castings, but I'm afraid I cannot recommend the company based on my experience of them.  Perhaps I was just unlucky.  If the supply was more reliable I would be interested in ordering more parts from them, because the range is an interesting one.

Rick

Progress from today.

I've fitted the handbrake wheels and I've done all the rivets on the sides and bufferbeams.  I have started the rivets on one of the ends.  I noticed that on the prototype that there's actually two different sizes of rivet on the ends, so I've represented that with the bigger rivet decals I have.

post-1855-0-92855900-1402588563_thumb.jpg

post-1855-0-27478000-1402588607_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll finish the rivets off in one more session, then get a coat of primer on to seal then in.

Rick

Who's etch have you used for the handbrake wheel

The handbrake wheels are Wizard Models, be careful when ordering as some etches have a hole in one of the spokes for a handle.

I hope the Rivet Decals don't come off during the painting process.

Yes, I had thought about that. I'm hoping to put a light coat of primer on with my airbrush without blowing them away. Then once they have some paint on they should be stuck.

Rick

Hi Rick,

The latest pictures are superb - a rivet counter's paradise! It is particularly impressive how you are following the prototype's rivet/bolt head spacings.

I have read about Archers rivets needing to be laid on a primed base (Ron Heggs scratch-building of his EMUs). However, if you have got this far with applying them and have had no trouble, then there isn't areal problem. It would seem logical that having the rivets sealed under as many coats of paint as possible without losing definition of detail, i.e. primer, top coat and varnish would be ideal.

Looking forward to seeing the end result.

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rick,

That's really, really nice.  I too am looking forward to seeing it painted.

And if I may just hijack for a moment to reply to Colin Parks - GWR 18" long by 13" head self contained buffers are available from ABS - catalogue number F329, or Lanarkshire Model Supplies catalogue B022, if that helps.

I really am have going to have to get a life, one day.

Best Regards,

ZG.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rick

When I first looked at this post last October I hadn't realised it was a Flatrol MVV diagram 2/512 you were building. I came accross one of these a couple of years ago at a preserved railway in Derbyshire and got permission to get up close and take a lot of photographs of it. If you think these would be of use to you PM me and I'll let you have copies.

By pure co-incidence I was planning to build one of these myself and I sent a set of drawings off to the etchers just a couple of weeks ago so I expect to get the etches some time next week. I like the way you have made the springs, I was planning to try to make a master and cast some in resin for mine, but the springs are quite short and as they have 9 leaves they will be quite difficult to replicate. 

Congratulations on your model so far, I shall continue to follow the thread with added interest.

Ian

Ian,

I'd be very interested to see your photos, I'll drop you a PM. I'd also be very interested to see your etches and how your wagon comes together, hopefully you will have time to write it up on here. Yours will be a much more scientific model, mine is quite simple and has been made without many proper drawings or dimensions!

Rick

Emma,

The rivets are an Archer product. You have to order them from America www.archertransfers.com . I have used .008 inch/.2mm and .011 inch/.28mm on the Flatrol.

Rick

Thanks Rick. I have some of those but they seemed too small (they are from the HO series) I'll get some of the others now I know what's what

Emma

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

I'd be very interested to see your photos, I'll drop you a PM. I'd also be very interested to see your etches and how your wagon comes together, hopefully you will have time to write it up on here. Yours will be a much more scientific model, mine is quite simple and has been made without many proper drawings or dimensions!

Rick

Hi Rick

Here is a pic of the first test etch as you requested, I've already had a few ideas about how to make it easier to build, but as with all projects of this nature, it is very difficult to get it right first time around.

post-6711-0-26910200-1403114810_thumb.jpg

When I get a bit further down the line I'll start a thread for it. As I have already said, the springs and axle boxes will be the difficult bit. 

Ian

I've now painted the wagon. And as I feared, the rivets aren't very noticeable! I think they might stand out a bit more with some dry brushing over them and general weathering. Lettering and weathering are the next jobs.

post-1855-0-73750600-1403208641_thumb.jpg

I'd be interested to know what people think and any suggestions to enhance it further.

Cheers,

Rick

Emma,

The rivets are an Archer product. You have to order them from America www.archertransfers.com . I have used .008 inch/.2mm and .011 inch/.28mm on the Flatrol.

Rick

For anyone interested they are currently in stock with DCC supplies!

Mark Saunders

Archived