EP samples of the CCT, LMS CCT, 12T fish van and SPV A vans....

Multiple identity account 2

• RMweb Gold

Pick up a LMS CCT today Hornby never seem to fail these days upon opening the box out drops the coupler hooks tried as I might to fix them back without falling out the couplings went in the bin I replaced them with some Bachmann ones, then I removed wheels the put a small amount of silicone grease in the bearing cups then check the BTB on the wheels before fixing them back they were 12.5mm again tried to open them out with a gear puller to no avail these also ended up in the bin they were buckled too and fitted a spare set of Bachmanns from the spares box.

I gave the model a final check to find one of the buffers has been glue in on the skew apart from that a fair model 4/10 for this one Hornby. :nono:

Looks like I need to be careful when I pop in for mine in the coming few days!!

• 2 weeks later...

If 4/10 is for a 'fair' model, I need to recalibrate.   :O

Anyway, supported my local shop yesterday and cleared them out of the BR CCT plus a couple of white Fish vans.  Nothing amiss with the packaging or the models themselves, beyond what's already been mass debated.  Body detail and moulding crisp and convincing, well executed and a credit to the Red Team.  So much so that a couple of deep discounters got orders for an LMS brown and a triple pack of blue-spots this afternoon.

And yes, I have compared both types with their Parkside equivalents, before the home brew brigade jump to the conclusion I am a non-discriminatory box-opener.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Do all the models have this on the underside ?.

Darren

That looks like it has been melted. Usually I would say, it's underneath so does it matter, but that is something I have never seen before!

Hi 

Do all the models have this on the underside ?.

Darren

Nah!!! Or at least I hope not. :O

Maybe I should have made it clear in my post (Sorry but I thought it may have been obvious) that I had removed the centre rib and representation of the vacuum pipe with a rotary burr, as a first stage of conversion to P4.

I've moved the conversion on a bit since then with the test fitting of sprung W irons (to check ride height) & sprung drawhooks but I've not been able to post an update as I've been otherwise disposed over the last three weeks or so.

Nice to see my phot being put to good use though. ;)

P

• RMweb Gold

Pick up a LMS CCT today Hornby never seem to fail these days upon opening the box out drops the coupler hooks tried as I might to fix them back without falling out the couplings went in the bin I replaced them with some Bachmann ones, then I removed wheels the put a small amount of silicone grease in the bearing cups then check the BTB on the wheels before fixing them back they were 12.5mm again tried to open them out with a gear puller to no avail these also ended up in the bin they were buckled too and fitted a spare set of Bachmanns from the spares box.

I gave the model a final check to find one of the buffers has been glue in on the skew apart from that a fair model 4/10 for this one Hornby. :nono:

The wheels and couplings on mine were fine but they got (spares) binned anyway. Fortunately, I have found somebody who actually wants a coffee jar full of tension lock couplings........ :jester:

Seriously, though. Adjusting the b-t-b on Hornby coach wheels is dead easy, without tools. Just grip one wheel in each hand and twist.

Dunno where you got 12.5 from, I've just measured the ones I took off and they are 14.05mm over the treads.

In my experience, Hornby's 14mm coach wheels are generally more consistently true than the r-t-r alternative. However, the b-t-b was only 14.2 which is way too tight for good running.

John

Funny how we modellers find things different. I bought Bachmann coach wheels by the bucketload at one time but standardised on Hornby's a couple of years back because the pinpoint axle is more closely matched to Romford brass bearings and so Hornby coach wheels are much free-er running.

• RMweb Premium

I saw and bought one today. It looks much better in reality than in the photos I've seen. The paint seems to be a type that doesn't photo well. It could do with some weathering to tone down the slightly plasticy appearance.

• RMweb Gold

Funny how we modellers find things different. I bought Bachmann coach wheels by the bucketload at one time but standardised on Hornby's a couple of years back because the pinpoint axle is more closely matched to Romford brass bearings and so Hornby coach wheels are much free-er running.

Maybe not just Romford bearings.

I have one rake of Bachmann Mk1s with Romford wheels that is an easier pull than a similar one with the original Bachmann wheels. I must try some Hornby ones!

John

I saw and bought one today. It looks much better in reality than in the photos I've seen. The paint seems to be a type that doesn't photo well. It could do with some weathering to tone down the slightly plasticy appearance.

I didn't think they were painted except for the roof and ends so I agree about needing weathering.

Has anybody read the very nice small print btw which gives the width over the body as 8'13"?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the brake rigging needed some work on my BR CCT and the wheelsets seemed quite loose also. I used my Alan Gibson drill, inserted some brass bearings (Gibson also) and replaced the wheelset. This gave me a nice free running wheel with little or no slop.

I then considered how to tackle the brake gear being too far for my liking from the new wheels. I came up with the radical (for me) solution of using evergreen strip wedged into the underframe to cause the brake gear to bend slightly to where I wanted it.

I also added some rigging between the sets of brake shoes.

After adding some weight and plenty of weathering I think I will have a great looking wagon.

• 6 months later...

How far did the "LMS" CCT get re-distributed to other regions in British Railway days ?

Can I mix the "LMS" one with Southern Region passenger and parcel trains ( or only inter-regional ones :scratchhead: )

Thanks.

Yes, you can! I have noted photographic evidence of both LMS CCT (dia 1872) and Southern CCTs on the Buntingford Branch (ex GER). If you need corroborative evidence I am happy to provide below. As far as I see things the first is an ex-SR CCT of a SECR design (seen, I think at Braughing) The latter, after much peering into dingy photographs, seems to be a dia 1872 LMS CCT based on an ex LNWR 6 wheel chassis sitting in the Buntingford branch bay platform of St Margarets behind an N7.

Of course, if anyone knows more...

Best,

Marcus

post-6357-0-46662400-1409363555.jpg

post-6357-0-30798400-1409364007.jpg

Not sure if there's another thread on these but release of the Hornby's 4 version's of the LNER long CCT is imminent.

EDIT

There is, just spotted it

Hopefully these will be as good as the Southern BY etc..................

Archived