Class 47 photos

what would the 47s have been used for from Kings cross? I didn't think there would have been many services that weren't electrically hauled by then, but there always seemed to be a couple stabled there. We're they just thunderbirds for failures?

Edited by GordonC

• RMweb Premium

what would the 47s have been used for from Kings cross? I didn't think there would have been many services that weren't electrically hauled by then, but there always seemed to be a couple stabled there. We're they just thunderbirds for failures?

It was a mixture. At least one would have been a thunderbird, but some mail trains were still diesel-hauled. I have a rather indifferent picture of 47777 'on the blocks' at Kings Cross with a mail train. Missing from the first picture was yet another 47 and a 90 (hiding behind the two 47s).

47851 & 47854, at Plymouth on 20.8.16.

20 years earlier, 47854 was journeying towards Plymouth. 

29317053215_c026f34bab_z.jpg47854 by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

47854 leaves Dawlish Warren - late summer 1996.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

No it's not.

The shadow beneath the 47 is different (meaning it was taken at a different time of day), and there is clearly steam in the background of the first picture...

And Andrew s would appear to be slightly taller than Trainshed Terry.

EDIT: look at the depth of window visible on the Mk2 air con between the peak and Class 37.

Edited by brushman47544

• RMweb Premium

No it's not.

The shadow beneath the 47 is different (meaning it was taken at a different time of day), and there is clearly steam in the background of the first picture...

Good Spot (I should have gone to Spec-savers)

Gone to find gun to kick start brain.  

• RMweb Premium

Class 47 variety - of a 1990s 472xx variety.

All taken between 1993 and 1996 at Eastleigh.

28694254574_f2770b1982_b.jpg47228 by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

47228 heads north with an evening freightliner (taken into the sun I'm afraid).

29209067682_92a934659f_b.jpg47276 by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

47276 stands light engine at the platform.

28694253734_6558a02a7d_h.jpg47283 by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

Tatty 47283 heads north.

29209065832_2d1cf3602d_h.jpg47285 by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

47285 rests at the stabling point.

29317062895_e9f5fa71a3_h.jpg47299 by Claude_Dreyfus, on Flickr

47299 arrives at the down platform, ready to shunt into the depot

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

post-10582-0-59729400-1484682115_thumb.jpgpost-10582-0-69205400-1484682148_thumb.jpg

Seen earlier today, shuttling around the yard at Leicester; and very good it looked, too - sounded nice as well.  A welcome encounter ( I had gone down there looking for one of my last couple of 56s 'for sight'.)  Been a long time since I saw a 47 wandering about on the big railway.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So that's where you've been today Paul. You certainly been out and about this week.

Nice photos. I've seen a couple of 'Spoons' on the MML on charters and empty stock but they are in silly liveries but, if you squint a little, this looks almost right ;)

• RMweb Premium

So that's where you've been today Paul. You certainly been out and about this week.

Nice photos. I've seen a couple of 'Spoons' on the MML on charters and empty stock but they are in silly liveries but, if you squint a little, this looks almost right ;)

Back to work tomorrow for a rest.  I went down to the bridge at Leicester 'on spec', just to see what I could see.  I was amazed just how much was there. albeit it is quite difficult to see anything up close.  Said 47 was towing around a Europhoenix 37 initially (37884).  Quite made my day!  :-)

• RMweb Premium

I'd have thought now the company name is on the side of the loco they would give up with the silly headboards

I'm no fan of personal headboards

Personally I don't mind it.  Just happy to see some traditional traction moving about, particularly in what is almost a 'proper ' livery.  Mind you, given that 47/8s had long-range fuel tanks - Extended Range - perhaps the operator should consider incorporating this feature into their branding and label their locos 'ROGERs'.     :jester: T

Taxi for one!.......

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifrsz_20170117_090030.jpgattachicon.gifrsz_20170117_090120.jpg

Seen earlier today, shuttling around the yard at Leicester; and very good it looked, too - sounded nice as well.  A welcome encounter ( I had gone down there looking for one of my last couple of 56s 'for sight'.)  Been a long time since I saw a 47 wandering about on the big railway.

Best wishes,

Paul

Looks like there might another 47 in shed, in the line to the right of the tall mast? And what's 37670 in DB colours doing there?

• RMweb Gold

24 years ago, 47121 passes Reading light engine. Quite a nice selection of cars in the background; do they now count as period road vehicles?.

I parked there for years but can't see my motor in that picture. I know who the Ford Sierra belonged to, though.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like there might another 47 in shed, in the line to the right of the tall mast? And what's 37670 in DB colours doing there?

There were indeed two other 47s on shed on Tuesday: 47847 in large logo blue (looking very tidy); and a further dark blue/yellow one, which I took to be another ROG-operated loco (ex-DRS perhaps?) but unfortunately, without binoculars I was unable to read the number.  ( - were they always that small or did my eyes just deteriorate?   :O )  As for 37670, it was certainly parked there but I know not why. I am not local: I just popped down there 'to see what I could see'.  

Best wishes,

Paul

• 2 months later...