My initial impression...

hahughson

Wow 2/6d - those were the days, no one to complain about magazine content other than the post bag and editor's censoring of the mail. Have we lost that era when we were simply the victims of the magazine staff and were served (well) with what they wanted. Now we have the instant discussion of content in minute critical (and personalised) detail, frequently declared before everyone has had even chance to see it for real. Along with the self-advertising topics on forums almost inviting same comment and review whilst secretly hating what emerges as reader's opinions. Oh, for the good old days ... when 2/6d bought a magazine and (lasted) was all you could read on the subject until the next month.

There's an interesting nugget in here; are editors' desks and email inboxes littered with derisory comments such as some seen on forums? Not with respect to imagery, typos, quality thresholds or content balance as far as I'm aware with conversations with several editors. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some pretty ranty letters about minutiae or errors of fact within an article but not really on the stuff that appear to be targets of derision within this topic.

By the same token writers of articles within magazines don't get as much positive feedback in response to a magazine publication in comparison to the encouragement received by many on forums. 

Is it "instant gratification". Or is it to do with the fact that a forum membership is more like chatting away to others with similar interests as if in the pub/down the club/in the street. I don't get "gratification" in typing a response (and my responses are far from "instant" by the time I respond often minutes/ even days later to a previous post/conversation.

We also have to remember the origin of this topic. This invitation to discuss long before most had the opportunity to actually get their hands on the subject matter. I doubt very much if many of the topics discussed on various magazines would ever compel us enough to put old fashioned quill and ink to paper as a letter to the editor. Assuming there was ever any hope of those simple opinions ever being published. I have, in the past, written to the editor of other magazines. But these days prefer to take the forum route as it bypasses the censor and immediately is open to inspection and rebuff/reply.

There's an interesting nugget in here; are editors' desks and email inboxes littered with derisory comments such as some seen on forums? Not with respect to imagery, typos, quality thresholds or content balance as far as I'm aware with conversations with several editors. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some pretty ranty letters about minutiae or errors of fact within an article but not really on the stuff that appear to be targets of derision within this topic.

The stuff in here matches typical conversations I think - maybe this is the risk with a forum with such close ties to a magazine? It becomes very easy to pass comment and know it will be read by employees of the magazine and company?

By the same token writers of articles within magazines don't get as much positive feedback in response to a magazine publication in comparison to the encouragement received by many on forums.

If I know the author and have enjoyed their book or article, I often e-mail to let them know :)

• RMweb Premium

The difference about this discussion is that it is actually demonstrating the wide range of views held by us 'webbers'. This could not take place in a mag.

If it took place in a pub then after some time the chairs would start flying and the tables would collapse as in a classic western brawl. This, of course, would not be the case if Doom Bar was on the tap as no one would be able to stand up for long enough to actually throw a chair or fall on a table!

Press that red button someone, I need my pie and mash............ :crazy:

P

Having ploughed through 5 pages on messages, mainly about photos and the art of photoshopping, I did not see a single one about the main part of any magazine, the text. Photographs are secondary.

The magazine has a new style cover and the new condensed font throughout makes it very difficult to read for those of us with less than 20/20 vision. As a result, I have written the following letter to the editor and his colleagues to inform them accordingly.

Sir,

I have just received my subscriber’s copy of BRM for November 2013.

In your editorial you are talking about hoping ‘you like the fresh new look’, let me be amongst the first to complain.

Firstly, the red masthead. It makes the magazine look like one of the tabloid newspapers.

But more important, secondly, the change of font to a fine (thin), condensed variety throughout, makes it very difficult to read for those of us with less than 20/20 vision as the words fuse into each other. Clearly no consideration was taken here.

I wear reading glasses and attempted to read a few pages but then gave up as I was having to screw up my eyes to read the text.

Further more, it was even more difficult to read text on a coloured background, especially on page 39 where the picture continues into the text.

I assume the condensed font has been chosen so as to get more words per line but I’m afraid with this subscriber, the idea has failed miserably and now, after many years, I am in danger of cancelling my subscription. Why buy a magazine that I can’t read? I’m not buying it just to look at the pictures.

Yours disappointingly

Since I wrote the above, I have received the following automated replies from John Emerson (Editor): 

Hello!
Guess what? I'm not in again! Don't think I'm ignoring you because I'm not. I will be re-visiting the office on Monday and all being well I will peruse your instructive missive.

and from Steve Cole (Brand Editor):

Hi.

I am now out of the office until Thursday, October 10th.

Does anyone else on this forum have similar problems? We aren't all in the flush of youth with perfect eyesight. Maybe a block complaint will have effect.

Thank you for reading the above

Kestrel

Does anyone else on this forum have similar problems? We aren't all in the flush of youth with perfect eyesight. Maybe a block complaint will have effect.

Thank you for reading the above

Kestrel

Thanks for your input; we will discuss this in our planning meeting tomorrow and come back to you in due course.

Understandably you'll have received the out of office replies as both recipients were 'out of office'.

and the new condensed font throughout makes it very difficult to read for those of us with less than 20/20 vision.

I think this is a problem with a number of publications - it affects those who may have issue with their sight (such as requiring reading glasses) as well as those like me who have dyslexia and visual sensitivity issues.

Despite the availability of the Wills product it's still a time consuming task and one that involves a lot of planning and consideration of conventions dependent on geography which is currently one of OG's headaches on BCB; in future he'll only model single lines in the middle of nowhere.

As an aside, I have just about finished  a single line station in the back of beyond, and it has given me plenty of head scratching and accompanied grief, so don't think it would be any easier :no: :scratchhead: .......

• RMweb Premium

Having seen a copy today I am quite pleased with the way Tickhill & Wadworth looks in the photos. The colours are a bit "iffy" though, which does make one or two things look as though they jar colourwise when they don't in real life.

They were taken a few years ago now and as far as I can tell any photoshopping has been minimal, to replace background clutter with some blue "sky".

I tend to agree that the visual style of the magazine is rather too "bitty" with all the little quotes and snippets of article repeated as if they are some sort of headlines.

I would much prefer the text to be broken up into sections with headings and seeing text over photos isn't something that I like. I prefer my text to be clear, easy to read (I agree that the font isn't too clever) and against a white (or at least a plain light colour) background. Maybe that is because I am over 50 and the eyesight ain't as good as it used to be.

I am not sure about some of the rather cruel full page "in close" shots, which show far more than the naked eye can ever see. They don't flatter many models or modellers. The only thing that such photos emphasise to me are the little bits that aren't quite right.

To me, a good article is like a short story and if it needs breaking up into smaller sections to make it look better on the page, this could be done with the photos. Whether a box with details of my age, occupation or other hobbies has any relevance to my modelling is not for me to say but I don't really see it.

I don't know about me being the saviour of Buckingham (was it really difficult to get Peter Denny's name right? He was quite well known in the hobby.) as there were a good number of people who were willing and able to take the layout on and I was just the lucky one! It would certainly have been saved without my involvement. I am not sure about me being a "major" modeller either. I don't even know what that means but my achievements (such as they are) pale into insignificance compared with a good many people.

It goes back to the discussion about who gets to be a "Senior" member of the hobby. I really don't think that it is up to a magazine to grant people such descriptions.

Overall, I still think that the new version of the magazine is OK but is not a patch on the style and presentation of the issues from when it first came out. If the modelling on show in the current issue had been presented in a similar style to the first issues of the magazine I am pretty sure that we would all be saying how good an issue it is.

Ah well, it is early days. I would have to say that there would probably have to be something of direct relevance to my own interests before I would be encouraged to buy a copy. It will be interesting to see what sorts of articles are in the pipeline for future issues and I will await developments with interest.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Clearly no pleasing folk - but then it was ever thus.  As it happens I do have 20/20 vision - but only at long viewing ranges, my close up vision is nowadays entirely dependent on the skill of the optician in analysing the defects and the manufacturer of the lenses in producing something which corrects it.  And I have found the new layout easier on the eye and the text more readable - for example Tony Wright's review of 10000/01 is a pretty meaty piece of writing and quite lengthy (with not a word wasted) and I simply sat and comfortably read it, no problems.

My conclusion - it takes all sorts ... etc, etc

(But then I also like the new cover design - the various 'sticker' type items apart, although I realise they ain't going to go.)

• RMweb Premium

Well my subscription copy arrived at Spam Towers yesterday and I had a good look through last night.

I enjoyed the articles, particularly the layouts that I've seen on the circuit. I must admit that I'm not overly bothered what the mag is called (BRM or British Railway Modelling or Train Mag Monthly). However I do agree with the comments about all the 'stickers' shovelled in to this and most other mags these days. I'd quite happily do without the quotes in bubbles, daft 'one we made earlier' and 'turn page' instructions. A personal preference. 

OK, firstly thanks for the improved track plans. Personally I would like them to be the first thing in the article and bigger, and I agree with other comments about the orientation.

Photography. Isn't it strange that we all strive to make our models as realistic as we can, and then want the photo's to make them look like models! I thought the photo of the WD taken from under the screens was brilliant.

Reviews. I don't really want umpteen pages devoted to a model of something that I don't want. Conversely, there isn't much point in a lengthy review of something I do want, because generally it's Hobson's choice. If I want a 52xx tank it's a Hornby or DIY. What would be useful is back-to-back comparisons where different manufacturers make the same model, for example the Bachmann 4F against the Hornby one. I realise that this is unlikely because it is likely to upset one of them!

In any case having reviews duplicated across mags means that I'm much less likely to buy more than one, so I'm back to choosing on content and the plastic bag question.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

I don't have the new BRM, (but happen to have the October British Railway Modelling, bought the other week in Blighty). What I do know, however, is that the magazine business is a jungle as never before, not unconnected with the Internet and its influences, and visual impact in the presence of rivals is everything at the bookstand, where conquest sales may be made. Those most disposed to be swayed are probably rather younger than some of us, and for them bright, lively and glitzy may be necessary qualities.Those seeking classic simple-but-effective covers may be disappointed for quite some time to come.

I believe that magazine would see itself appealing to a very different section of the market, perhaps.

That's very true and I suspect the loyalty of its readers may reflect that - many would buy without seeing what the content is because of its reputation for quality content.

BRM's new cover is quite in line with many of the 'busy' covers seen all across the news stands, regardless of the subject matter. I actually think that a simple, stylish cover would now be a way to really stand out!

• RMweb Gold

That's very true and I suspect the loyalty of its readers may reflect that - many would buy without seeing what the content is because of its reputation for quality content.

BRM's new cover is quite in line with many of the 'busy' covers seen all across the news stands, regardless of the subject matter. I actually think that a simple, stylish cover would now be a way to really stand out!

That was what I had hoped might be coming - the new 'red block' BRM masthead (which I happen to like and see the marketing point of) plus a hopefully fairly 'clean' (of extraneous clutter) cover picture which would indeed set it apart even though its style might be redolent of 'Model Railway News'/'Model Railways' in its later years.  Accompanied too by an editorial move which would set it into a different market area where 'inspirational modelling' was going to be the key phrase.

Maybe that sort of market area was not seen as the one to aim for, maybe some elements of 'mass market' style won out over the inspirational angle and affected the design which has in turn influenced perception of the magazine and its market placing?  I realise I'm only a simple, cynical, old railwayman who dabbles in model railways and not a magazine design or marketing expert but to me it looks as if it could have been more distinctive because some of the articles and writing are clearly heading more to where I hoped I might see it.   But then I don't have to justify my salary on the basis of sales figures.

• Administrators

For those like me that are finding that the link to my Crosti 9F build article is not working as published in the mag here's a "proper" link

https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/Articles/385/Creating_a_Crosti-boilered_9F_-_Ian_Mellors/

:)

The magazine link is now working too. Sorry Ian - my mistake. See you next weekend.

Accompanied too by an editorial move which would set it into a different market area where 'inspirational modelling' was going to be the key phrase.

Ah, there's the rub, but it's not easy to see amidst the other magazines and the multiplicity of various forums and websites and Society magazines etc, what that 'different' market area might be. I'm a cynical old crustie as well, and not a typical magazine consumer (except for being loyal to MRJ, gawd knows why, the consumption of the whole of #224 lasting an unsatisfying 3.72 minutes - haven't got round to #225 yet), but I guess RM, MR, BRM and Hornby Mag are all fighting for substantially the same market, with potential or wavering buyers tending to have a quick flick through in Smiths and buying whatever takes their fancy on an adhoc basis. Like James, I'd like to think that a classic simple stylish cover would stand out on the shelves, but 99.9% of the magazine industry seems to be of another mindset, unless they're all following each other like lemmings chasing an ever-dwindling audience.

As a small child, I couldn't get home fast enough with that December '64 MRC (and all the Constructors of that era) - the cover was simply the icing on what I knew to be a substantial and wondrous cake, and I'm rather glad there was nothing inside that was proclaimed to be achievable in '2 hours'. No doubt an infantile hair-shirt that has never quite left me, but I'll leave that to the therapists to debate!

Archived