Acacia Avenue - BR parcels and stabling SOLD

mudmagnet

Hi Richard, well it really does look the Dog's mate,  so so nice, well done.

On the down side if I may be super critical, (and remember I haven't seen it in the flesh so to speak) and that is the star style lights appear to give funny shadows on the backscene.

Please tell me to sod off if I'm wrong, I wont be offended. :O

• RMweb Gold

Superb MM, superb. Acacia Avenue is a lovely layout, great modelling. It is nice to see photos of the finished layout and with stock running. Well done Sir, I look forward to seeing more photos.

It sounds like you had a good time today.

Nice pics Richard, looks really good.

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Still plenty do to, so not finished yet.

Main jobs to do, in no particular order.

1) Finish fiddle yard

2) Fix faulty point motor

3) Add signs to pub

4) Finish shop

5) Finish main depot building

6) Make more Brutes and add parcels / newspapers to platform

7) Finish office

8) Finish fuel tank and add pipe work

plus quite few other jobs ....

Hope to get most sorted ready for next show in Barnstaple (26th July) and Minehead (2nd August). Also, one booking for next year and possibly one other, so far.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard, well it really does look the Dog's mate,  so so nice, well done.

On the down side if I may be super critical, (and remember I haven't seen it in the flesh so to speak) and that is the star style lights appear to give funny shadows on the backscene.

Please tell me to sod off if I'm wrong, I wont be offended. :O

Hi Andy,

The 'star' lights are no quite so obvious in real-life to be honest and from 'normal' viewing aren't so visible.

More obvious is some photos more than others.

The lights, at the moment, are not finished as I would like to add more, so that I can vary the 'light' levels on the layout, but as ever, all takes time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yard Lamps - Part 1

A few photos and description for the construction of hte yard lamps to follow.

When I was looking for yard lamps, I wanted to have working lamps, having previously used the Wizzard / MSE lamps on Orchard Road, I could not see an easy way to make these operational.

The commercial lamps that I've seen did not fit the bill, as far as I'm concerned and the only ones that I had seen are not currently being made. The only alternative was to make them myself.

So, starting with 3/16" dia Evergreen tubing and cut to length. One lamp is shorter than the rest. The top is chamfered on opposite sides.

Then, two holes are drilled right through the tube, a little larger than the diameter of the wires off the LED. The LEDs used have a small lens. The wires are carefully bend to shape, with the longer one at the top.

The photos show the LEDs fitted into the tube. The shade is 10 thou plasticard, cut using a hole punch and then a small hole drilled to suit the LED lens.

post-7854-0-51810800-1398791522.jpg

post-7854-0-37330600-1398791523.jpg

post-7854-0-06890100-1398791524.jpg

More to follow ...

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Next, comes the tricky bit ....

The outside of tube is scored with a scaple and then glass paper up and down the tube to create the grain. Tube is sliced carefully between the two opposite holes, thus leaving three tube sections (1) bottom, (2) middle and (3) top.

Then I soldered thin wires (in this case blue to the top and buff to the bottom leg, using DCC decoder wire from such sources as Railroom Electronics etc) on the LED, with the excess LED wire being trimmed to suit. Then the ends are bent down so that the two wires can be fed down the tube, yet leaving the 'lamp' at the required distance from the tube.

So, the LED / wire assembly is then fed into the bottom tube. Now the fiddly bit - the middle section is sliced down the middle to leave a front and rear section. It is worth pencil marking to make alignment easier before slicing. Then the front and rear sections are re-fitted, wrapping around the LED wire and flooding with liquid glue (e.g. MEK). Then the top section can then be fitted and again flooded with MEK. Aligning the sections is the difficult bit.

Then leave overnight, before gently running a file round to achieve a round and straight pole. A cap is fitted from two small sections of 10 thou plasticard.

post-7854-0-53386400-1398793321.jpg

The shade is glued in place with a drop of super glue around the top.

The pole and shade are then painted - using acrylics before a hole is drilled through the baseboard and then the lamp can be glued in place.

The only two things left to do are (1) add foot holds and (2) wire the lamps via a switch to a power supply.

I'll take some clearer photos later.

Forgot to mention that the two ends of the 'rods' from the 'lamp' at the rear are represented with short sections of plastic rod, pushed into the holes, glued and trimmed to length.

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

http://www.directtrainspares-burnley.co.uk/page13.html here does something like you were after Richard you dont need the ladder on as he makes them himself from brass and he also has some fine coated wire also that is thinner than decoder wire but just as strong

hope this helps   ps looks great

cheers ian   

Thanks for the link Ian.

Hi Richard

This looks really atmospheric, it really captures the feel of a run-down depot at that time. Because of the simple track plan it also has an air of space - less is more and all that! I'm very pleased that you're bringing it to Exmoor Rail as well on 2nd August. Really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

All the best & see you soon

exmoordave

• RMweb Gold

I've been following this layout and it's looking fantastic ! Hope I'll get to see it sometime if you have plans to venture to the London area?

Well done :no:

Many thanks for your comments.

It would be great to bring Acacia Avenue up to London, but as ever is reliant on an invite from an exhibition manager. Plus, having only shown Acacia Avenue once so far (RMWeb Day Taunton last Sunday). I have two more exhbitions in the South West this year. You never know.

However, I am bringing Orchard Road up to Hoddesdon (Herts) July 12th

Hi Richard

This looks really atmospheric, it really captures the feel of a run-down depot at that time. Because of the simple track plan it also has an air of space - less is more and all that! I'm very pleased that you're bringing it to Exmoor Rail as well on 2nd August. Really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

All the best & see you soon

exmoordave

Thanks Dave,

You can see it at Barnstaple and then the following weekend in Minehead - but you know that !!!

Thanks for the comments on the exhibition thread ....

plus quite few other jobs ....

Hope to get most sorted ready for next show in Barnstaple (26th July) and Minehead (2nd August). Also, one booking for next year and possibly one other, so far.

Iron Maiden etc on the sound for the music shop!!!

hehehehe

Simon

Yard Lamps - Part 1

A few photos and description for the construction of hte yard lamps to follow.

When I was looking for yard lamps, I wanted to have working lamps, having previously used the Wizzard / MSE lamps on Orchard Road, I could not see an easy way to make these operational.

The commercial lamps that I've seen did not fit the bill, as far as I'm concerned and the only ones that I had seen are not currently being made. The only alternative was to make them myself.

So, starting with 3/16" dia Evergreen tubing and cut to length. One lamp is shorter than the rest. The top is chamfered on opposite sides.

Then, two holes are drilled right through the tube, a little larger than the diameter of the wires off the LED. The LEDs used have a small lens. The wires are carefully bend to shape, with the longer one at the top.

The photos show the LEDs fitted into the tube. The shade is 10 thou plasticard, cut using a hole punch and then a small hole drilled to suit the LED lens.

attachicon.gifDSC_0006.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0008.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0009.JPG

More to follow ...

Hi Richard

The lamps are fantastic Mate, a work of art.

Edited by RAY NORWOOD

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the photos Ray, looks like DLT is enjoying himself !

Thanks Andy. The layout is primarily to be designed across the front corner, but the end view does work well.

Any sound fitting locos will need to wait for quite awhile ....

No touched the layout since un-loading the car on Sunday !

Need to get on with finishing off the buildings before starting on some bits and pieces for the layout. Oh, need to the get the fiddle yard and point sorted as well ....