Acacia Avenue - BR parcels and stabling SOLD

mudmagnet

Morning Richard, Thanks for the advice on a chip for my 08, nice to see the layout is taking shape, l used to spend hours watching class 33s shunting parcel stock around at Portsmouth and Southsea station in the late 70s would see lots of different parcel stock plus BR Blue 33s and sometimes the odd 73, great days

George

post-7716-0-22925500-1393313996_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-97144100-1393314008_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Looking good Richard, coming together nicely.

Thanks Rob, good to hear from you.

p.s. I like your new project. I always liked Pallet Lane and the new layout is looking good.

Morning Richard, Thanks for the advice on a chip for my 08, nice to see the layout is taking shape, l used to spend hours watching class 33s shunting parcel stock around at Portsmouth and Southsea station in the late 70s would see lots of different parcel stock plus BR Blue 33s and sometimes the odd 73, great days

George

Thanks George.

The photos are great. The weathering on the Crompton in the first photo would look good on a model!

Anyway, the layout has been on the move tonight! Took a short trip to the club so that the guys could pass comment!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've been trying to decide positions for some of the possible buildings to be added along the front and find it useful to take a few photos of the various options.

Then, a day or two later come back to re-evaulate which looks best or indeed start again.

Fortunately I have a few small buildings that I can 'play-around' with.

One thing that this process has helped with though, is I've decided that the fuel tank (although not finished) does look right anywhere!

It'll find a use somewhere else in the future on another layout - if fact I've already something in mind ......

Anyway, a few photos to give you an idea of what I'm thinking. I think that I've made my own mind up, but not going to share my preference (s) just at the moment.

Any thoughts?

post-7854-0-96463000-1393758818.jpg

post-7854-0-66671400-1393758819.jpg

post-7854-0-62997000-1393758820.jpg

post-7854-0-18513100-1393758821.jpg

post-7854-0-75036000-1393758821.jpg

post-7854-0-42425600-1393758822.jpg

post-7854-0-87010300-1393758822.jpg

I've also been working on the ground covering a little more, particularily around the puddles. So this area is making some slow progress.

post-7854-0-37288700-1393758818.jpg

Next task will be the main parcels depot, which will sit atop the platform and this is a crucial part of the scene, so I need to get it right.

I will have a look at a mock-up before deciding finally how it will look, but I do have a few ideas and certainly a few criteria that I want to meet ....

• Like 16

Looks nice Mudmagnet, good to see the Rat and the Gronk on the rails :) I like the temporary block wall you've built while your building the future extension ;) GWR gates look nice too!

I like the position of the timber style yard office in picture 4, seems more logical having the office closer to the gate. And the prefabricated concrete SR style shed looks good in picture 3, helps to break up the scene, but at the same time it's closer to the yard office.

Just a suggestion but the tank looks okay in picture number 2 slightly away from the baseboard edge. But it could look more interesting if the brick hut were next to it - the left of it, this could also fill the gap at the front. The SR concrete hut for the PW should remain where it is away from the main yard close to the bridge.

Always hard to think where buildings might go could go. I like to think there's a reason for the building to be where it is.

Not sure try it and keep trying
Cheers, Reece

A building located by the entrance gate looks right, especially the wooden one.

A second building further along the baseboard edge also looks OK. 

The building between the tracks looks wrong to me.

just my thoughts......

cheers 

Looking good Richard, I like the two huts and the Tank along the front as it makes it look like there is more land in front of them, (viewing side) and its NOT the edge of the yard.

Nice whatever you do,

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

I have to be honest, I like the building by the gate - this just seemed to fit in ok.

I had though about the brick office, but thinking some more, then the timber would look best.

There does need to be something between the tracks, but perhaps does not look right with the concrete hut.

I do like this one (copied from a photo take at Barnstaple Junction Station), so perhaps along the front would be the best place.

Also, thinking about the tank - this does not look right, so thinking about either a smaller tank or simply running a couple of pipes across to give the impressuin that there is a storage tank 'off-scene'.

Now you see I like the Tank because it can have Oil Spills, men working, pipes, all sorts of junk that your good at.

I agree, the Wooden hut by the Gate and the Concrete hut half way along, actually that's what I said earlier, never mind, I like repeating myself, I said, I like repeating myself.

Andy Andy :no: :no: :no: :no:

• RMweb Premium
mudmagnet, on 02 Mar 2014 - 19:23, said:

There does need to be something between the tracks, but perhaps does not look right with the concrete hut.

As a thought how about a couple of yard lamps between the tracks? Not the huge tall flood light type, but the older type fastened to a wooden "telegraph" pole. It will add a bit of height and "fill" that gap. One of them might have a signalling type "relay box" on legs along side it for the electrical control gear. Something like this one http://westonmouth.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/saturday-afternoon/ on my Mortimore's Yard layout. That one came from Express Models, and is one of a row of three. If Express no longer do them (I can't see them on their web-site) something similar could be kit-bashed from the offerings of Ratio etc I'm sure.

I agree it needs something, but I feel a building is too big. Less is more!

• Like 2

Hi Mudmagnet,

After reading some of the posts above some yard lamps could look nice, Eckon/Berko used to make telegraph pole style proper yard lamps. Not too sure if they still do. Here's a picture taken at Burngullow of some similar lamps :)
Could be some inspiration Mr Mudmagnet if you go with the lamp idea.

post-13630-0-19752300-1393819428.jpg

Look forward to your next update.
Cheers, Reece

• Like 2

Hi Richard,

Looking good sir
Re the positions of buildings;
I like the brick hut just where it is in the 1st pic

I too am unsure of including the fuel tank
But have you tried it on the left hand side,
immediately after the embankment drops down?

I was also thinking you could "chop" a bit of that embankment away,
and put a retaining wall there - maybe a horrid, drab, breeze-block wall,
looking suitably dull and shabby......
A bit of high security fencing, surrounding the tank....

I think I'd leave the rest of the front clear of buildings - especially in the centre
That way, you leave an area clear, for getting some nice lineside shots
You could always make 1 or 2 buildings in the foreground "removable" as another option re photography....

I too thought that those buildings somehow "cluttered" the area between the tracks
But I do think the more you look at it, the more "something" should be there....
Although, exactly what, I'm not sure yet

Like me, you place buildings and scenic items in a few different spots, and decide later just where they look "at home"
and I've always thought this is the best approach - even for the tiniest hut, or pile of rubbish...

One suggestion for you though;
Where your wall has been built across the truncated line
How about an old level crossing gate, looking battered and distressed
plonked against the wall, on the yard side of course?

Cheers again
Keep up the good work

Marc

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As a thought how about a couple of yard lamps between the tracks? Not the huge tall flood light type, but the older type fastened to a wooden "telegraph" pole. It will add a bit of height and "fill" that gap. One of them might have a signalling type "relay box" on legs along side it for the electrical control gear. Something like this one http://westonmouth.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/saturday-afternoon/ on my Mortimore's Yard layout. That one came from Express Models, and is one of a row of three. If Express no longer do them (I can't see them on their web-site) something similar could be kit-bashed from the offerings of Ratio etc I'm sure.

I agree it needs something, but I feel a building is too big. Less is more!

Thanks Adrian for the suggestion and link.

I have planned to add working lights, but as you suggest, something more in keeping with the period. The 'telegraph-pole' type look great and will have a look at these.

The relay box is a great idea!

• RMweb Gold

Now you see I like the Tank because it can have Oil Spills, men working, pipes, all sorts of junk that your good at.

Andy Andy :no: :no: :no: :no:

Andy,

I can see where you are coming from, but the tank proportions seem wrong to me, plus being too high.

That's not say that a tank could appear somewhere ....

Hi Mudmagnet,

After reading some of the posts above some yard lamps could look nice, Eckon/Berko used to make telegraph pole style proper yard lamps. Not too sure if they still do. Here's a picture taken at Burngullow of some similar lamps :)

Could be some inspiration Mr Mudmagnet if you go with the lamp idea.

attachicon.gif30671_105279766187568_6038835_n.jpg

Look forward to your next update.

Cheers, Reece

That's a great lamp there Reece! Quite unusual .....

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard,

Looking good sir

Re the positions of buildings;

I like the brick hut just where it is in the 1st pic

I too am unsure of including the fuel tank

But have you tried it on the left hand side,

immediately after the embankment drops down?

I was also thinking you could "chop" a bit of that embankment away,

and put a retaining wall there - maybe a horrid, drab, breeze-block wall,

looking suitably dull and shabby......

A bit of high security fencing, surrounding the tank....

I think I'd leave the rest of the front clear of buildings - especially in the centre

That way, you leave an area clear, for getting some nice lineside shots

You could always make 1 or 2 buildings in the foreground "removable" as another option re photography....

I too thought that those buildings somehow "cluttered" the area between the tracks

But I do think the more you look at it, the more "something" should be there....

Although, exactly what, I'm not sure yet

Like me, you place buildings and scenic items in a few different spots, and decide later just where they look "at home"

and I've always thought this is the best approach - even for the tiniest hut, or pile of rubbish...

One suggestion for you though;

Where your wall has been built across the truncated line

How about an old level crossing gate, looking battered and distressed

plonked against the wall, on the yard side of course?

Cheers again

Keep up the good work

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm going to do a bit more thinking about the building positions, but the wooden office seems to suit it better - just needs more weathering!

I'm wondering about making a new tank - different shape / configuration and could site at the end of the embankment. Like the idea about the grotty concrete blocks!

Great idea about the level crossing gates - I scratch built a pair ages ago, so could find a use!

The space between the tracks, also be general comments, needs something, but not a building! A lamp, plus relay box is likely, plus I've another idea .....

• Like 1

I've often thought we don't model enough rusty, overgrown, disused sidings
but you also don't see many half-demolished buildings on layouts too....

Perhaps there isn't room for a hut,
but would you think the site of a former hut could work on Acacia Avenue?
I was thinking about a concrete base, the first 3 or 4 courses of bricks,
and a pile of bricks and stone nearby?

Like the idea of a lamp and relay box.....

Marc

EDIT: Something like this could also add interest..... ?
Again, Not the sort of thing you see modeled too often....

post-2973-0-38657200-1393864177_thumb.jpg

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hello Richard, Just dropped in to see how things are going, l am really impressed with the progress, really nice looking layout with atmosphere..

George

Thanks George,

I've had a look at the level crossing gates that I made before, but made them with the posts attached, so will need to make a new pair.

I'll post some construction photos.

I've also glued down the first office, but not much else .....

• RMweb Gold

A few photos follow showing the construction of the 'level-crossing gates'. These are 'scenic' items, rather than detail items - such as the level of detail is reduced. Plus, most will be hidden ...

Firstly, start with a drawing. In this case an article from Railway Modeller Nov 1978.

post-7854-0-64377100-1394391854.jpg

From this, I produced a simple drawing, which is then used as a template. The top, bottom and end sections are 2mm sq, but only having 40thou x 80thou Evergreen, I've glued two strips together. When dry, the lengths are cut, marking off the aforementioned drawing.

post-7854-0-50224500-1394391850.jpg

Then assembled.

post-7854-0-24240800-1394391851.jpg

Next, the centre upright is added, again 2mm square.

Next, the two intermediate added from 40thou square.

post-7854-0-91112800-1394391851.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Then, the cross timbers and 'metal' strapping are added from 20thou x 40thou Evergreen strip.

post-7854-0-98871200-1394392341.jpg

The diagonal strips are 10thou x 30thou. One end is first glued and the other trimmed to length, then being glued.

The hinge blocks are represented simply with 40th cubes.

post-7854-0-02498500-1394392434.jpg

Next, each gate is lightly weathered by dry-brushing acrylic paint.

post-7854-0-84527300-1394392519.jpg

Finally, the gates roughly positioned on the layout.

post-7854-0-39772400-1394392549.jpg

I've made a start on the 'tarpaulin' and will post photos later in the week, when I get this completed.

Also, the wooden office has been glued down.

Edited by mudmagnet
  • Like 8