Time To Bring Proper Names For Locomotives

...If some 'proper' names are fitted to a loco how soon will it be before the franchise ends?

Or the company it is named after gets taken over?, or the industry body it commemorates gets renamed,

or the celebrity becomes discredited etc etc...

I can fix that, selected examples from a suitable list:

The Sovereign

Prince of Wales (those two have precedents!)

Governor of the Bank of England

Primate of All England

England Football manager

And if the need is great enough so that the barrel has to dredged to its very bottom;

Prime Minister

For the record, here's the list of current FGW HST names:

Isambard Kingdom Brunel

First for the future/First ar gyfer y dyfodol

First transforming travel

David Austin - Cartoonist

Christian Lewis Trust

Driver Brian Cooper 15 June 1947-5 October 1999

TravelWatch SouthWest

Bristol St Philip's Marsh

University of Worcester

Sir Peter Parker 1924-2002 Cotswold Line 150

We Save the Children, Will you?

Driver Stanley Martin 25 June 1960-6 November 2004

University of Plymouth

Dartington International Summer School

Porterbrook

Prince Michael of Kent

The National Trust

Pride of Laira

Great Western

The only ones I could take issue with there are the two "First" names (but then they are the operator so only natural for them to name at least one PC after themselves) and "We Save the Children" - surely the only nameplate with a question mark?

Of course we've lost quite a few classic names in recent years, "City of Truro", "Sir Felix Pole" and "Sulis Minerva" being obvious ones (I wonder why "namers" get "de-named"?).

Would be nice to see more of the Universities recognised though - perhaps there should be a "University Class"?

And it would be nice to see a more logical arrangement of names.

Interestingly, none of the Adelantes seem to be named....

• RMweb Premium

PLURAL???

Sureley those nameplates could be a different shape to normal, perhaps a silouhette of some long lost experimental loco.  And if we ever couple two of them together would they then be "Twin Peaks"

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Northern Ireland Railways named its three 111 class GM Co-Cos after the constituent former railway companies.  I believe the nameplates were sponsored by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland:

111 = "Great Northern"
112 = "Northern Counties"
113 = "Belfast & Co. Down"

Back to racehorses for inspiration I think. All the following can be found in the downloadable list from the British Horseracing Authority at:

http://www.britishhorseracing.com/resources/media/ratings/

A Bridge Too Far
A Little Swifter
Absolute Shambles
Combustible Kate
Dont Be Late
Dont Do Mondays
Electrickery
Eleven Fifty Nine
Euro Trash
First Rebellion
Flexi Time 
Follow The Tracks
Get Home Now 
Get Me Out of Here
Oscilate Wildly
Overpriced
Slip Sliding Away
Slow Train Coming
Tram Express
Whaleweigh Station

Why not name coaches, like the old Pullman cars ?

Pendolino's, Voyagers, HST etc. A  The name prominently painted (or stick on vinyl) mid coach. Now themed train sets might not work, as sets often have coaches swapped etc, but how about the following themes, which could be freely mixed.

Posh girls names etc, Pullman style. See this link http://www.britishrailways.info/pullman_cars.htm

Sights along the line, Mountains, Rivers, Noted Buildings, Villages, Towns and Cities etc

Keep it simple - Names that can be readilly identified, and no inter-corporate meaningless tosh.

GNER had a nice "The Route of the Flying Scotsman" logo on their stock, alas now gone, but it was a start in  the right direction.

Lets also bring back a bit of style, and have "Car No xxxxxx", instead of just a plain number. We need a bit (well, a lot really) of individual personality on our modern corporate boring railway. This would cost very little and I'm sure would be well received.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

the list of current FGW HST names...

May I ask where that list is from, there seems to be quite a few missing, unless FGW have had a massive name call recently?

MTU Power

Great Western Society

IRO

Glorious Devon

Penydarren

The Royal British Legion

The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment, Royal Logistics Corps

Newton abbot 150

Reading Panel Signal Box 1965-2010

Stroud 700

Exeter Panel Signal Box 21st Anniversary 2009

GWR 175th Anniversary

Oxfordshire 2007

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the Westerns are a good example to cite as potential inspiration for improving on some applied nowadays.

Admittedly, some sounded quite impressive if read out loud, but most were just unused Warship names with 'Western' plonked in front and a lot of them were utterly meaningless to anyone using English as one of their first four languages.

Western Duke? Named after John Wayne, perhaps?

And why was there no "Western Accountant" - no dafter than most of the rest and "Western Auditor" sounds quite impressive!

John

• RMweb Premium

Northern Ireland Railways named its three 111 class GM Co-Cos after the constituent former railway companies.  I believe the nameplates were sponsored by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland:

111 = "Great Northern"

112 = "Northern Counties"

113 = "Belfast & Co. Down"

Some of The Peppercorn A2's were named after the main constituents of the LNER, Great Central, Great Eastern, Great Northern and North Eastern. As an April fools spoof the Railway Magazine a few years ago suggested that it was intended that the locomotives would be painted in the colours of the companies whose names they carried. An A2 in GER blue with red connecting rods and a white cab roof rather takes my fancy.

May I ask where that list is from, there seems to be quite a few missing, unless FGW have had a massive name call recently?

MTU Power

Great Western Society

IRO

Glorious Devon

Penydarren

The Royal British Legion

The Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment, Royal Logistics Corps

Newton abbot 150

Reading Panel Signal Box 1965-2010

Stroud 700

Exeter Panel Signal Box 21st Anniversary 2009

GWR 175th Anniversary

Oxfordshire 2007

It came from a file I found on my PC from when I was trying to photograph as many as I could during the summer! I thought as I was copying them across that there should be more. I must have corrupted my file somehow :-(

Thanks for providing the missing ones! However there still don't seem to be many in that list that I would call "silly" names - most are either fairly logical choices or have precedents from earlier locos.

Archived