eHattons may be better than eBay for Bachmann MK1 coaches?

Anyone who bought some of the Hachette MK1 SK coaches and is now looking for a brake end or other maroon MK1 coach to form a rake may find that eHattons is currently much cheaper than ebay.

Today there are some Bachmann maroon MK1 coaches on eHattons website for 20 quid or less. Added to that is that a buyer will receive brand-new goods instead of 'ebay new'. Hattons postage rates are much better than many ebay sellers. Not many ebay sellers can offer a mail order service comparable to Hattons.

It is assumed here that if someone is happy with the Hachette coaches he or she will not worry too much which region or numbers are painted on the Hattons offerings.

Im not sure if its got to do with the Hachette coaches, but would expect that its rather Hattons reducing prices to shift the Bachmann coaches quickly, before the new Hornby ones arrive in. Its only coaches reduced that Hornby are making in that livery that are effected. Predominately the Marroon stuff, which is in demand most for transition modellers and thus Hattons would have had them to make money on, but with the Hornby stuff due, cut the price and sell them so you have the cash in and not stock on shelves when many switch to buy the Hornby one.

• RMweb Premium

Anyone who bought some of the Hachette MK1 SK coaches and is now looking for a brake end or other maroon MK1 coach to form a rake may find that eHattons is currently much cheaper than ebay.

Today there are some Bachmann maroon MK1 coaches on eHattons website for 20 quid or less. Added to that is that a buyer will receive brand-new goods instead of 'ebay new'. Hattons postage rates are much better than many ebay sellers. Not many ebay sellers can offer a mail order service comparable to Hattons.

It is assumed here that if someone is happy with the Hachette coaches he or she will not worry too much which region or numbers are painted on the Hattons offerings.

Precisely what I did - but I have repainted both the Hachette SKs and the Bachmann (Inter-city) BSKs in matching lined maroon ..... and they match VERY well.

(Photos when the undreframe truss mouldings etc. finally arrive)!

Regards,

John Isherwood

• RMweb Premium

Certain Bachmann Mk1s are being reduced by many retailers.  They might be slower sellers or there  could be an element of deck-clearing before new product arrives.  It's getting close to Warley and to Christmas making this a time when there is sometimes a rush of new products to the marketplace.

As always let the buyer beware.  A little reserach will often bring forth a better price than some offered by online auction sites.

• RMweb Gold

Certain Bachmann Mk1s are being reduced by many retailers.  They might be slower sellers or there  could be an element of deck-clearing before new product arrives.  It's getting close to Warley and to Christmas making this a time when there is sometimes a rush of new products to the marketplace.

As always let the buyer beware.  A little reserach will often bring forth a better price than some offered by online auction sites.

Both Hornby and Bachmann have been having a bit of a clearout hence stuff appearing at reduced prices from various retailers.  Whether it's to make room for new stock or simply to get some cash into the bank while new arrivals are only trickling in I don't know but it does explain why 'bargains' are appearing from some retailers.

• RMweb Gold

Had the opportunity to handle the Hornby Mk1's at the Great Electric show at Gaydon. To be honest whilst obviously made to a higher quality than the Hachette offerings by the same reckoning they aren't to the same quality as the Bachmann product. Most noticable to me were the moulded water pipies and a slight prismatic effect of the glazing.  If Bachmanns can be had for around £20 I can't see the point of getting the new Hornby Mk1 which is only available in 3 types and almost inevitablly will be a different shade of maroon to the Bachmann. Even at full rrp Bachmann Mk1's are good value compared to other rtr coaches on the market.

• RMweb Premium

Can't offer a picture, but I do have the weathered maroon BG. The weathering in terms of what is sprayed on is reasonably good, but what let's the overall effect down, at least to me, is that the maroon finish is too glossy so the overall effect, of a weathered ex-works coach, is less convincing. A matt maroon finish under the weathering would look better.

Can't offer a picture, but I do have the weathered maroon BG. The weathering in terms of what is sprayed on is reasonably good, but what let's the overall effect down, at least to me, is that the maroon finish is too glossy so the overall effect, of a weathered ex-works coach, is less convincing. A matt maroon finish under the weathering would look better.

Thanks for that most helpful. 

That reminds me, now my Hachette coach has its new underframe trussing I need to do pictures of it! and of course make a start on modding my couple of Bachmann coaches that are going with it

edit: oh and sorry to add as well Hattons arnt the cheapest, as I got my RFB and brake from modelzone bot hat around £12, so it pays to shop around

NL

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That reminds me, now my Hachette coach has its new underframe trussing I need to do pictures of it! and of course make a start on modding my couple of Bachmann coaches that are going with it

edit: oh and sorry to add as well Hattons arnt the cheapest, as I got my RFB and brake from modelzone bot hat around £12, so it pays to shop around

NL

If you are in the process of refinishing Hachette Mk.1s, this may be relevant; it's the reason that I designed the Mk.1 transfer sheets :-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/77937-new-coach-and-wagon-transfers-from-cambridge-custom-transfers/

Regards,

John Isherwood,

CCT.

Archived