Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Hi Graham and Mark,

Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully Dallam will be attending its first show at the Wigan Model Railway exhibition 1st & 2nd October . Got quite a bit to do as you can see so need to get a move on I think!

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 1

Managed to get a bit more done on the layout over the past few evenings. Made a start on forming the embankment between Bewsey Road overbridge and the CLC overbridge. Used polystyrene for the base then built up with some spray expandable foam.

Just in the process now to carve to a suitable shape - still quite a bit to do but the foam cuts easily.

Work in progress.

post-6834-0-57921400-1456938008_thumb.jpg

Had to pose some stock aswell.

08 heads towards the sidings on the trip working with some VGA's and is easily overtaken by the 86 hauled XC service. FNW 158 passes overhead on a Liverpool to Manchester working.

post-6834-0-81611900-1456938145_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Thanks for comments Jeremy and Christian. Yes the pressure is definitely on now to have it ready for Wigan in October. Looking forward to the overhead masts going up and the two signal gantries that are required (one part started) going in.

I have just been thinking how good a pair of 86/4's on BBA/BAA loaded steel coils would look held at the signal which is in front of the CLC overbridge awaiting a path down to Warrington for a loco change to Cardiff 37/7 or 37/9. Hmmm. :sungum:

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for comments Jeremy and Christian. Yes the pressure is definitely on now to have it ready for Wigan in October. Looking forward to the overhead masts going up and the two signal gantries that are required (one part started) going in.

I have just been thinking how good a pair of 86/4's on BBA/BAA loaded steel coils would look held at the signal which is in front of the CLC overbridge awaiting a path down to Warrington for a loco change to Cardiff 37/7 or 37/9. Hmmm. :sungum:

Cheers

Simon

Well, if you want to borrow some stock ......

;)

• Like 1

Thanks Guy's, need to focus 2001....

Regards stock the recent Farish announcent is quite good with the promised class 319. Going to hold off building any 325's now and wait till the 319 arrives and convert some of those - I know this will be a couple of years off though!

Cheers

Simon

Aswell as working on the layout the past few days, I received my first 47 for the layout this morning. Its BR Blue 47404 with its high ride height and grounding issues. Following the guide on RMweb, this has now been lowered. I may look at adjusting the bogie frames aswell to correct the axlebox alignment.

post-6834-0-92485600-1457219213_thumb.jpg

The plan is to change this into a Fragonset liveried 47/7 as both Virgin XC and West Coast shared 3-4 of these during 2001 for both service and thunderbird/weekend drags.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

Hi,

The embankments on the layout are continuing to take shape slowly. Its taking longer than hoped as the wood glue securing the polystyrene to the baseboard is taking longer to cure due to the temperature in the garage.

Progress shot of ground work continuing.

post-6834-0-51335100-1457353929_thumb.jpg

Embankment between Bewse Road bridge and the CLC overbridge almost ready for covering.

post-6834-0-75120400-1457355671_thumb.jpg

I have also been looking at wagons available to model the Freightliner services. Been looking at BH Enterprises as they list KQA/KTA pocket wagon but so far I cannot find a picture of the finished kit.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

If you can get hold of one or two (from Ebay) the ATM kit (or ready finished) of the KQA/KTA is very nice.

The Farish Multifrets should be in period for you as well. I'm still surprised that no one has done the FSA/FTAs yet - 700 wagons built in the early 90s.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

I can remember seeing a 'thing' on the Banbury thread ref a pocket wagon being made up for the freightliner services on that. Maybe worth asking Roundhouse where he got it/if it's the same one.

It's a 3D print off Shapeways. Makes up very well but does need quite a bit of weight.

Wow that's a lot of messy polystyrene carving there! I went away from using that stuff years ago in favour of insulation board. It's still pretty messy though I must admit but I feel it cuts cleaner and there isn't a snow storm of white balls everywhere when you're done! I will be keen to see some colour going on those though. It's surprising how a layout suddenly transforms when scenic start going on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses everyone.

Mike, yes think a rake of Intermodals will do for a EWS service. Also just found the Worsley Works do an etched brass FFA/FGA kit - although looking at the pictures and Youtube footage, these would probably been in limited use in 2001 due to the FSA's/FTA's.

Ian, thanks, I may look at the Shapeways version - take it you don't run it empty?

Cheers

Simon

Hi Cav,

Its a bit of the old recycling going on, had quite a bit of packaging left to dispose of following Christmas, so thought why not. Agree the other type of Foam is far better as it make a lot less mess as used that on a previous layout.

Cheers

Simon

Yeah don't blame you. Use what you can. Up-cycling is the way forward.

Like the 47 btw, Would look good on BoT, obviously not after you paint it the wrong colour of course! ;)

Yeah don't blame you. Use what you can. Up-cycling is the way forward.

Like the 47 btw, Would look good on BoT, obviously not after you paint it the wrong colour of course! ;)

Ha Ha, it certainly would look good on BoT. Whilst looking on Youtube at Freightliner trains in 2001, there were still some 3tone grey 47's knocking about but the paintwork was pretty worn out - would make a nice modelling subject in that condition though.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

I have been keeping an eye on your work, just not commenting (which is very poor!!rude of me).  It's great to see Dallam coming to life and each day now seems to make a big change.  I'm sure once the foliage goes down it will change enormously again,

Keep up with the good work and please don't stop posting updates as they are always great to see.

Cheers

Lee 

Hi Simon,

I have been keeping an eye on your work, just not commenting (which is very poor!!rude of me).  It's great to see Dallam coming to life and each day now seems to make a big change.  I'm sure once the foliage goes down it will change enormously again,

Keep up with the good work and please don't stop posting updates as they are always great to see.

Cheers

Lee

Thanks Lee and glad you like the updates. Yes quite looking forward to getting the scenery down. Think once the OHLE starts to go in, that should help set the scene.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Back to some rolling stock modelling. Work continues on the Farish class 20 DRS conversions.

Made a start on fitting the extended range fuel tanks into position. These have been made from 20thou plasticard cut to size using photographs as a guide.

post-6834-0-57174100-1457442153_thumb.jpg

Once happy with them, the fuel tank gauge and lower strapping will be added.

These 2 still need the cab side windows filing to shape.

The plan so far is to have 2 powered locos (1 as a powered spare) and one dummy initially. Future hopefully 3 powered and 2 dummy which will provide 2 pairs plus powered spare.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6