Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Yes I was lucky on that front. I picked up a 25 wagon rake of HAA's for under £200. Was very chuffed indeed.

I still need a lot of other traffic though, Burton on Trent in the turn of the 90's was a busy place!

Again sorry for the hijack!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments and PM's, much appreciated. I will get back to you, its been a mad few days work wise.

The cab front on the 20 has now received a coat of grey primer to show any areas which require further sanding etc and there are a couple.

post-6834-0-70012700-1449768390_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 9

Evening,

Class 20 No 2 arrived this morning. Purchased from Rails via Ebay. Stated as poor runner, it had been over oiled which was affecting the pickups and motor commutator. Once all cleaned, it runs well although noisy as it has brass gears fitted and the old style wheels.

Going to convert the body and then decide whether to keep it running or make into a dummy. I suppose the brass gears are unlikely to split like the plastic ones.

Here is a comparison side by side for the windscreen mod I have done.

post-6834-0-23147400-1450213009.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Happy New Year to you all. Now with Christmas out of the way, I can resume working on Dallam. Continuing with the class 20's, I have now received some nice etches for the WIPAC headlights thanks to Pete Harvey. Now the cab and nose ends have been filed flush, its time to look at the bodyside and frame. I have made a start on removing the bottom lip along the length of the frame as this is not present on the prototype.

Here is progress so far.

post-6834-0-86539700-1451994512_thumb.jpg

Once sanded smooth, the long range fuel tanks will be fabricated and fitted into place.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 5

Thanks Jeremy, yes the etch is the class 90 detailing kit. More rubbing down of the solebar this evening to remove the bottom lip from both sides.

Also removed the inner sand boxes from the bogies. These were removed during BR blue days but the Farish model was never modified to suit.

post-6834-0-00063700-1452031195_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

No not yet but to be honest I have a mount everest of stock to do for BoT without buying more. It can wait. I'd be interested to see if you can lower the 20s as I have a farish hst which could do with some gap reduction. The old chassis are pretty rigid in construction.

Managed to get a bit done on the actual layout over the past couple of evenings. Made a start on the lighting for the layout. The lighting supports have been made using 44mm square timber braced in the corners. There will be 6 of these along the length of the layout. Just need painting now.

post-6834-0-46118500-1452350287_thumb.jpg

The lighting units will be fitted with LED strips, probably 2-3 strips per lighting unit.

My Virgin mk2 XC rake has also received some additional vehicles. Thanks to BigP and Shanks522. 86425 accelerates north for Glasgow from Birmingham New Street.

post-6834-0-86462000-1452350587_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 13

Looking good Simon, love the half mast ohle.

This is also the route I went with my version.

Hi Porkie, thanks, yes I had seen your version, think it was your layout that gave me the idea to modify the nbrass kit. Any more updates on Milton Grove in the near future?

Cheers

Simon

Well due to a busy week work wise, not much done on the layout itself. However a 3rd class arrived today, well actually yesterday, my wife found the wet parcel this morning which had been dropped over the gate yesterday but no note through door!

Anyway it was bought for £30 as a non runner - which it is aswell. All 4 idler gears are split.

post-6834-0-03701900-1452890418_thumb.jpg

So plan is to make this one good, got some spare gears and will fit the finer profile wheelsets.

The blue 20 which I got last will now become a dummy as that has the older 3 pole motor.

Picture below shows the conversion in various stages.

post-6834-0-44439500-1452890629_thumb.jpg

So just require one more 20 to enable 2 flask trains to run on Dallam.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone. Due to work commitments, work on Dallam has slowed yet again. I have managed to construct 2 of the lighting units and mount the legs to the layout trestles. I will hopefully post some pictures of these once I have made the garage look a bit tidier, its become a bit of a dumping ground since xmas.

Managed to finally pick up some decent priced class 08's to work the Dallam trip diagram. The BR Blue one will be renumbered to 08703, there is a clip of this running through Bank Quay to Dallam on youtube.

The EWS one maybe resprayed as 08701 in RES livery, it was around the Warrington area in 2001.

post-6834-0-12197400-1455922938_thumb.jpg

Shunting the warehouse.

post-6834-0-01331500-1455922986_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

As mentioned in the last post, work has been progressing slowly on the lighting units.

Below is a shot of progress so far. 2 lighting units have been assembled using a wooden frame and a length of UPVC gutter to mount the LED strips in.These units just slide into position on the lighting poles.

post-6834-0-21847400-1455972476_thumb.jpg

The lighting poles are attached to the layout trestles using flush mounts from Screwfix.2 sets are used per pole - one at the top of the trestle and another at the bottom of the trestle.

post-6834-0-81215300-1455972556_thumb.jpg

A fascia still needs to be added to the lighting units, still deciding what to make it from.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4

Evening,

Finally got round to ordering some Warm white LED strip for my lighting units. I ordered the 600 LED 5M roll. Its easy to cut to length and has a self adhesive backing for mounting.

Prior to fitting it to the UPVC guttering, I rubbed the gutter down with sand paper to help provide a key for the self adhesive backing.

LED strip stuck down in the guttering, the next one I will apply them a little straighter!

post-6834-0-52994100-1456521341_thumb.jpg

With power applied.

post-6834-0-86142900-1456521410_thumb.png

Just the fascias to fit and then sand down the wood work ready for painting.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Impressive lighting Simon, may have to steal that idea.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, got the idea for the LEDs and guttering from looking at other layouts to be honest.

Decided to erect 3 of the lighting units this afternoon along with 4 of the 6 layout boards to get a feel for how things may look from a presentation point of view.

Found an off cut piece of hardboard at 8 inches deep so clamped it to the lighting unit to see how it looks and think I will stick with that depth of fascia.

To give an idea of scale, the distance from the bridge at the far right(scenic break) to the red screwdriver across the tracks is 6ft.

post-6834-0-16522000-1456680121_thumb.jpg

At each end of the layout the facia will extend down to the fiddleyard. This will allow somewhere to put info about the layout etc. Again a piece of hardboard has been clipped in place to get a feel for the right look.

post-6834-0-21165500-1456680313_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 4