Dallam Sidings (Warrington) - N Gauge WCML 2001 Macclesfield Show 20th&21st April 2024

87023Velocity

Managed to get into the garage earlier to look at Dallam and whilst sipping my coffee, I decided to see what was left to do on my 4mm crane. So got all the bits out and found the Wasp transfers. At this point I realised I really do need to get this finished as it is just transfers and detailing left to do. I could do with a shrink ray however to produce one for Dallam. I have posed it next to a Farish Mk1 because that is roughly the length of the crane in n gauge.

post-6834-0-31142700-1433067557_thumb.jpg

Also need to pop up to Warrington this week and get some photographs of the CLC bridge and retaining walls/embankments, so I can continue with that.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Hi Simon, I am looking forward to seeing your crane finished. Can this be a priority please?!!!

Hi Alex,

I will see what I can do, I could do with it being finished for the Wigan show in October so I can run it and the mk1 vans down Eaton Gommery (Cambrian layout - pre grouping) so it should fit in well. This will only happen before opening to the public of course :jester:

Cheers

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to do a bit more testing tonight, well actually play really! Picked up some Farish Super BG's a few weeks back so basically got enough for the first mail train. I have got one RES GUV in the rake at the moment. It should be a Super GUV with the roller shutter doors. Looks like I will need to do several Super GUV conversions in the near future.

I think there are usually 3-4 Super Guvs in each 7-8 van rake.

Here is 86425 on load 7 joining the Up fast after departing Warrington Royal Mail terminal while 2 L.E 86's head north to Coatbridge.

post-6834-0-35581700-1434573752_thumb.jpg

Going to have approximately 3 mail train rakes with 7-8 vans per rake.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 14

Evening all.

Work on the layout has slowed the past week whilst I concentrated on the 75 tonne crane. Fortunately over the weekend I did manage to do a bit more work on the CLC bridge which forms the south end scenic break.

This is the actual bridge http://www.mywarrington.me.uk/mt_bharris_0-02.jpg seen from the other side.

post-6834-0-07272500-1434995672_thumb.jpg

Still quite alot to do and should look better once the overhead is in place and the track weathered.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity
  • Like 11

Thanks for the comments Christian, it will be good when a train runs for the first time along the layout and through the fiddleyard and the wires are up!

Hi Simon,

I think you've done a superb job of recreating the colours of the brickwork - especially the transitions from the dark engineers' grey to red, with the mortar courses.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the comments. I was abit confused as to why the lower section is in red brick, unless this bridge was partially rebuilt for the WCML electrification?

Cheers

Simon

Thanks for the comments Christian, it will be good when a train runs for the first time along the layout and through the fiddleyard and the wires are up!

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the comments. I was abit confused as to why the lower section is in red brick, unless this bridge was partially rebuilt for the WCML electrification?

Cheers

Simon

I'd go with the idea that the bridge was partially rebuilt at some time, with the feet of the former arch being retained to support concrete bearers for the pre-cast spans. I suspect the Engineer's Blue brickwork is largely cosmetic. Blue brick seems to have been used quite extensively during both the 1960s electrification, and the 1970s extension towards Glasgow.

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Managed to get a bit more done tonight on the bridge. If you look at the picture of the actual bridge, you can see a latice type girder under the bridge. This has been represented using 40 thou plasticard with suitable holes cut in it.

Here it is with a coat of primer.

post-6834-0-77070600-1435093106_thumb.jpg

Fitted losely in position to the bridge.

post-6834-0-38877900-1435093164_thumb.jpg

First coat of green paint - Humbrol 80.

post-6834-0-52491100-1435093263_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 10

Hi,

Bit more work done on the bridge tonight. Started on toning down the stonework using a couple of brown and black washes, also put the last coat of green on the latice girder.

Feel happy so far, so next stage will focus on the arched section of the bridge and retaining wall.

86628 passing through L.E

post-6834-0-95746700-1435178095_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-25789900-1435178148_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 8

Hi Alex,

I will see what I can do, I could do with it being finished for the Wigan show in October so I can run it and the mk1 vans down Eaton Gommery (Cambrian layout - pre grouping) so it should fit in well. This will only happen before opening to the public of course :jester:

Cheers

Simon

There is a gap in the timetable as the GWR Railmotor has shredded its valve gear and needs a rebuild, but the crane may need a livery change if you are thinking of slipping it in as a subtle replacement.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well after 2 months of not touching Dallam, thought I would at least check over my 2 latest arrivals from Kernow Model centre. Here they are posed L.E. with 2 of the dummy 86's. 86621 which has the red fire bottles on the roof was still in Freightliner 3 tone grey in 2001. The fire bottles only seem to be on this loco in 2001 aswell from the quick trawl of flickr. A repaint may be on the cards.

post-6834-0-97384700-1440931765_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

After a few weeks of working on my 4mm projects, decided yesterday evening to get stuck into Dallam again. I was intending to atleast finish the rail overbridge but thought I should look at protecting the layut for storage etc. As I intend for Dallam to hopefully be suitable for exhibitions, its important to have the boards well protected and also make them easier for transportation.

The method I am using is to have a hinged board fitted to each baseboard front. A lid with a hinged board each end is then placed over the top - front board up and end ones down. All then secured in place using small toggle catches.

An example of a boxed board here from our 4mm layout Strathmuir.

post-6834-0-35071300-1442330913_thumb.jpg

Work so far has seen the first two front hinged boards fitted in place.

post-6834-0-99666600-1442331100_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-60082500-1442331153_thumb.jpg

This method should prevent less handling damage to the scenic section at the baseboard ends when they are being joined together.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 7

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks, that would be a cool idea! The pressure is on now as I have just got over 12 months to get Dallam ready for its first show at Wigan ,October 2016, ideally I would like it ready and tested etc by end of August 2016 at the latest.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Alex,

There will be more 86's in the future! I have got 6 at the moment, the number will probably be in double figures once all stock diagrams are worked out and maybe a spare loco. The design of the layout boxing is something that has been used on a number of layouts from members of the Wigan club including our diesel layout Strathmuir as shown in post #293, probably other layouts out on the exhibition circuit use the same/similar method. In this format they can be stacked in the back of a van easily, handled easily also and as you say protect the scenic sections well.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alex,

There will be more 86's in the future! I have got 6 at the moment, the number will probably be in double figures once all stock diagrams are worked out and maybe a spare loco. The design of the layout boxing is something that has been used on a number of layouts from members of the Wigan club including our diesel layout Strathmuir as shown in post #293, probably other layouts out on the exhibition circuit use the same/similar method. In this format they can be stacked in the back of a van easily, handled easily also and as you say protect the scenic sections well.

Cheers

Simon

It might be worth having three or four spare for shows. You will be surprised as to how many failures occur for whatv ever reason. I have had 5 or 6 class 66's fail on me at a show. Two are still out of action. Luckily I have way too many of them!!

It might be worth having three or four spare for shows. You will be surprised as to how many failures occur for whatv ever reason. I have had 5 or 6 class 66's fail on me at a show. Two are still out of action. Luckily I have way too many of them!!

Yes think your right. Looking back to operating our 4mm layout at shows, as you say its surprising how many failures can happen even with checking all the stock before a show, wheel cleaning etc.

Cheers

Simon

Edited by 87023Velocity