Somerset Railway Modellers Club - Rail-ex Taunton 2013, Sat 26th October 2013 - Sun 27th October 2013

Crofton

Not an organiser, but I'll be there with Holm.

Chris

Layouts :

Addersleigh Junction - OO - 16.5mm Gauge - BR 80’s + Preservation 
Ashton Junction - OO-gauge - - GWR 1940’s 
Bahnbetriebswerk Dugelshaven Ho-gauge W.Germany, DB 1980’s 
Bleadon - O-gauge - W, C&P Rly Late 1930’s 
Bodmin General - N Gauge - BR Western Region 1950’s 
Brimscombe - N Gauge - BR Western 1960’s 
Burnham-on-sea - 2mm Fine Scale - S & D 1920’s 
Calstock (Cotehele) - 7mm NG 16.4mm Gauge Cornwall, 1870 
Coombe Wharf - Scalefour 18.83mm Gauge Sussex 1903 
Corfe Castle - N Gauge - BR, SR ’57-66 
Corris 1930 - 4mm OO9 Gauge - Corris Rly 1930 
Farkham - OO Gauge - British Railway 1990 
Hobbs Warren - O-gauge - BR Eastern Region 
Holm - OO-gauge - GWR 1930’s 
Horselunges - 4mm P4 Standards - 1900’s (Col. Stephens) 
Horsley Bank - 4 MM P4 18.83mm Gauge - L&y/LMS 
New Mexico Railroad Museum - Scale HO and HOn3 - - US (Santa Fe) 
Pennygillam Mine - G-scale & Gn15 - Mine in N.Cornwall 
Rax Lane M.P.D. - Oo-gauge - BR Early 60’s 
Rheingauz - Z-gauge - Germany DB Late 90’s 
Roger’s Pass - N Gauge - Canadian 
St Aldhelms Quay - O-gauge - - BR(SR) (S.Dorset) 1958-66 
Salcombe Road - Oo-gauge - GWR (S.Devon) 1936 
Tawford - Oo-gauge - BR Late 80’s 
Tennessee Extraction Co Railroad - 7mm On30 - Us 1940-50’s 
Wadebridge - N Gauge - BR Southern Region 1950’s 

Micro Layouts 
Abigrace Holt - T Gauge 1:450 - 
Dotcom Railroad - HO-gauge - 
Duckpool Halt - OO-gauge 

Traders :

Alan Ward Collection 
Burnham & District MRC (Limited Edition Wagons) 
Cheltenham Model Centre 
Cooper Craft 
Dave’s Railway Films 
Dirty Boy by Lord & Butler 
Don Bishop Photography 
East Somerset Models 
Exe Rail 
Glen Eades SJH Model Railways 
Green Scene 
Intercity Models 
Kytes Lights 
Oakwood Press 
Railroom Electronics 
Ray Heard Model Railways 
Rural Railways 
Signs on Site 
Tools 2000 
Trackside Signs 
Wessex Wagons 

Sorry, would be more useful!

Chris

Taunton School, Staplegrove Road, Taunton, Somerset TA2 6AD 
 SAT 10.30am-5.30pm, SUN 10.00am-4.30pm
 Adults £6.50  Concessions £5.50  Children £3.50  Family £15.00  

For some reason this show never seems to be very well publicised but more details of the location and the layouts, etc, can be found by typing 'Railex Southwest' into your search engine. I'll be there on Sunday with at least one other RMWebber.

• RMweb Premium

For some reason this show never seems to be very well publicised but more details of the location and the layouts, etc, can be found by typing 'Railex Southwest' into your search engine. I'll be there on Sunday with at least one other RMWebber.

This has been noted and will be rectified for future years. When you arrrive down here don't forget to turn your watch back 10 years!!!

• RMweb Premium

The food from the refectory is absolutely fantastic! Horse lunges is one of my favourite layouts and with a good fine scale representation (Bristol please take note), I'll be visiting at some point over the weekend.

I have just returned from the halls and all seems to be going well. About a third of the stands seem to be in with the rest presumably due in the morning.

I will second Andrew's comments about the food - they are very lucky to have one of the best venues on the circuit where catering is concerned.

I just hope the predicted storm doesn't arrive too soon.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

I certainly concur with the comments about the food (and it's quite reasonably priced too). My only criticism of the venue is the rather dingy lighting in the halls.

Layouts should all have their own lighting and not be dependant on the venue.

Jerry

Jerry is right - and I saw him operating the best-presented layout in the show.

There were too many layouts without lighting. Some of the trade stands had better illumination than the layouts.

The show was, as usual, rather a mixed bag. There were some superb exhibits and a lot of others.

There was even one which can only be defined as an exhibition layout by virtue of the facts that it was a layout and this is an exhibition. I presume that in this case the lack of lighting was deliberate to hide the lack of scenery on some of the boards!

Geoff Endacott

I visited this show today for the first time. Very good show so credit to the organisers and exhibitors. I agree that there was one exhibitor who seemed to have been put in a dark corner, without his own lighting rig, but in fairness this layout did seem to be work in progress which is often interesting to see in itself.

I will certainly go again the future. I liked the number of 'local' layouts which appealed to me and there were plenty enough traders (for my wallet!). My only comment regarding the traders, which is the same at every show I attend, I wish they'd separate the new and used stock a little more clearly sometimes!

Sounds like I missed out by not having any food though!

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like I missed out by not having any food though!

You certainly did. I had roast beef, (pork or turkey also available), yorkshire pud and all the trimmings followed by apricot crumble and custard. Excellent.

Very enjoyable show too. Good to see you Geoff, albeit briefly.

Jerry 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind comments on the exhibition gents. A lot of work goes into putting on shows like this which have to run to a tight budget and in whatever sites can be found in the local areas. With Taunton School we're very lucky but as you say it isn't perfect so we do the best with what we can.

Sadly it's a sports hall so the lighting is something we can't do anything about. I've been to darker places in which exhibitions have been held so it backs up the comments that layouts are much better off if they have some sort of lighting themselves. It also gives a way of showing off your layout to a better degree.

Food wise it's amazing. My misses and kids come to see me there on the Sunday but only to get a roast dinner and look round the old school...

All comments are taken on board and I will try to do a bit more to get it advertised on here for the 2014 calender. All the best and thanks to those who made it... 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments on the exhibition gents. A lot of work goes into putting on shows like this which have to run to a tight budget and in whatever sites can be found in the local areas. With Taunton School we're very lucky but as you say it isn't perfect so we do the best with what we can.

Sadly it's a sports hall so the lighting is something we can't do anything about. I've been to darker places in which exhibitions have been held so it backs up the comments that layouts are much better off if they have some sort of lighting themselves. It also gives a way of showing off your layout to a better degree.

Given the nature of the venue, why not restrict the layouts you invite to those which have their own lighting?

Geoff Endacott

Archived