The Stationmaster Has Been to an Auction -

• RMweb Gold

I think Buffalo 1134 is at Oxford.

I think you're absolutely right - correction coming up!  Thanks  I shall also further examine the one of the 36XX which someone said was at Moor Street (where the wagon lift does not appear to have had the sides sheeted from my further delvings

I notice 2012 has 'LLY' on the side of the footplate; was this one of the engines sent to replace the L&MMR's fleet?

2166 was at Neath from July 1928 until November 1929, then at Swansea (East Dock) until withdrawal on 10/05/1955.

The RCTS has 2012 going to Birkenhead Brian and that ties up with earlier photos I've seen of it shunting in the docks there.  I'll have another look at 2166's picture to see if I can verify (or solve?) the location but the allocation helps a lot thanks.

In the post above, the Rhymney 'R' Class loco is viewed from inside the shed at Rhymney, the chocolate and cream carriage being in one of the station platforms; and the BR 0-8-2T is at Barry.

Brian R

I did wonder about Rhymney Brian but the lack of the signalbox fooled me, it means the picture pre-dates 1936 - and sorry for omitting Barry (which I knew, all too obvious - to me - of course so I didn't bother to add it), thanks.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Now another lovely mixture starting with GWR No66, exADR No.34 - a standard Kerr Stuart design (with 4243 partially in shot at left).  My assumption is possibly Newport area but that's little more than a brave, or useless, guess).

attachicon.gifimg393 - GWR No666 exADR No.34, a standard Kerr Stuart design. 4243 to the left .jpg

Mike

My knowledge of the depot isn't great, but I believe this is taken at the back end of Newport, Pill shed, with the back wall of the shed to the photographers left and the transporter bridge over his right shoulder.

Brian R

PS

Some nice shots of the depot on the site "Quiet Womans Row"

Apologies for posting this singleton (and for it being a bit large) but it intrigues me.  A note on the back suggest that it might be GW No.52 which would make it exRR No.10, an A Class engine which received a taper boiler in 1933 (if I'm reading the RCTS book correctly).  The staff do look a bit pre-war-ish but two wagons don't so the suggested number could be wrong.

The next question is location and I am minded to think that it could well be the top end of Aber Jcn yard round the curve towards the Senghenydd branch - the number of through lines is correct, the dead end sidings on the left look to be correct but I haven't counted them but there should be allotments over on the right if the only maps I can find are correct.  Any help with identifying the place gratefully received.

attachicon.gifimg392 - GWR No.52, ex RR No.10 pre 1933.jpg

Definitely an ex Rhymney A1 class.  The sandboxes are the give-away.  The first 2 batches of A class and the M class where the only inside frame 0-6-2T Rhymney locos with sandboxes above the footplate sand boxes.  M class side tanks over hung the footplate.  At sometime (sorry I don't have my books to hand) the boiler was changes to a Belpaire firebox type which made it almost the same as the latter batches and it became an A1.

Given what has been said about the first wagon of pit props I reckon it might be 57.  I have various photos of 57 with the correct GWRified bunker.  Only one is dated (1938) but it had a flush riveted smokebox.  A much later photo shows it with proud rivets.  It's not 53, as 53 received an inverted V shaped rain gutter on both sides of the cab roof.

The second wagon is a GWR iron mink with post 1927 doors.

PS The earlier photo of a Rhymney tank is an R class (no.42).  It is very difficult to tell the difference between the later 2 batches of A1 class and the R class.

Edited by Penrhos1920

A couple of comments about other photos:

The photo of 666 in post 70 is definitely at Newport as I have several other photos of 666, usually with it's sister 667, at the same location which have Newport written on the back.

Regarding photo of 386 in post 86.  The second loco is ex Rhymney A, A1 or R rebuilt with standard GWR boiler, not ex Barry.  The cab is higher than the Barry B1 and B behind.  The odd Barry B1 was given a GWR boiler, but also received a full GWR cab.

The Rhymney loco in post 104 is a P1.  One of the larger 5'3 passenger locos vs 4'6 freight locos.  Compared to the freight locos it looks taller, but of course isn't.  What gets me excited though is the ex Rhymney bogie coach behind it.

• RMweb Gold

Good to see you here at last Penrhos and thanks for you excellent help sorting the mysteries of subtle differences on the Rhymney engines - once I get a chance I shall update captions accordingly so many thanks.

and thanks Brian for the suggestion regarding Pill - I had wondered if it might be but didn't have enough knowledge of the depot to hazard even a written guess at it, I'll try some more delving to see what can be added or confirmed. As a special treat I shall post a couple more pics tonight including one where you might be able to help - you'll see what I mean when you get to 2990 below.

This is a very nice view of 2990 and dates from the latter half of the 1930s with the engine looking in quite nice condition although it was withdrawn in 1939.  There is no note regarding the location but I am fairly sure it is just west of Cardiff General station helped by the fact that the low building nearest to the lineside is - I think still there.  Location confirmed by Dave and Brian thanks,  and - as Brian has pointed out - the engine is pointing Up road.  Incidentally what convinced me it is Cardiff are the point machines - which were unique on the GWR at the time this engine was still in traffic.

post-6859-0-92090700-1382916378_thumb.jpg

Now back to the Northern Division (as was) and a view of 4000 at Wellington but this time in post GWR days as the date is noted on the print as 6 Aug 1951

post-6859-0-21440900-1382916766_thumb.jpg

On the next one I have altered the exposure to bring up the detail of the engine and cut out some of the background on the right as it then became almost washed out - for those who don't recognise it the scene is Oxford Station North, looking north, and the engine is 9022, no note of the date but one of a number of photos taken at Oxford - with more to come.

post-6859-0-60545300-1382916873_thumb.jpg

And to finish another one at Oxford - up towards the top end of the shed yard and featuring a near brand new 7010.  The engine entered traffic in June 1948 and this photo has the date 30 June noted on it (hopefully accurately).  Irrespective of that this must have been one of the first of the new 'Castles' to receive a smokebox numberplate - to posted tomorrow is a view of 7008, outshopped the previous month and definitely without one -

post-6859-0-68493200-1382917086_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

The beautifully clean small Metro tank is 617, but I'm stumped on the location. (Looks to be an island platform. The footbridge is Shirley-ish, but the other details don't tally.)

On the Cardiff 2990 pic, the only other places I can think of offhand with that kind of track configuration (four double junctions arranged as a 'scissors') are Newport (West??) and Reading. (I'm not disputing Cardiff, because I'm not familiar with it.) Note the pre-1927 livery on the coach.

Interesting pic of 9022 at Oxford. It validates Bachmann's representation, but proves that it didn't always have the same boiler!

Edited by Miss Prism

This is a very nice view of 2990 and dates from the latter half of the 1930s with the engine looking in quite nice condition although it was withdrawn in 1939.  There is no note regarding the location but I am fairly sure it is just west of Cardiff General station helped by the fact that the low building nearest to the lineside is - I think still there.  However what does throw me is the large building in the left background which I don't recognise at all.  There is however something else which convinces me we are at Cardiff.

The large building in the left background may be now altered and refurbed as Victoria House (retail and flats) streetview capture:

post-9751-0-66602300-1382925204_thumb.jpg on the corner of Tudor Street and Clare Road.

The factory/workshop with the "white" roof on the far left still seems to be standing on Tudor Lane and it appears to align correctly with the run of crossovers/slips and Victoria House.

Edited by cary hill

Good to see you here at last Penrhos and thanks for you excellent help sorting the mysteries of subtle differences on the Rhymney engines - once I get a chance I shall update captions accordingly so many thanks.

and thanks Brian for the suggestion regarding Pill - I had wondered if it might be but didn't have enough knowledge of the depot to hazard even a written guess at it, I'll try some more delving to see what can be added or confirmed. As a special treat I shall post a couple more pics tonight including one where you might be able to help - you'll see what I mean when you get to 2990 below.

This is a very nice view of 2990 and dates from the latter half of the 1930s with the engine looking in quite nice condition although it was withdrawn in 1939.  There is no note regarding the location but I am fairly sure it is just west of Cardiff General station helped by the fact that the low building nearest to the lineside is - I think still there.  However what does throw me is the large building in the left background which I don't recognise at all.  There is however something else which convinces me we are at Cardiff.

attachicon.gifimg398 - 2990, withdrawn 1939 & probably near the west end of Cardiff General. Nothing noted on the print..jpg

Correct Mike, the loco is facing in the up direction and the house backs are (rather were) in Tudor St. and Tudor Lane

The large building on the left hand edge still stands at the junction of Clare Road / Tudor St / Clare St.

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

Just having a read through the second volume of 'The Burry Port and Gwendreath Valley Railway' by R W Miller; in 1937, 2012 was allocated to Llanelly, sub-shedded at Burry Port. It was reported to have stayed until the 16xxs arrived, though no precise date is given for its departure.

It left Llanelly in May 1955 - presumably for Birkenhead although I have no further details for it.  One source suggests it might have been withdrawn in 1958.

• RMweb Gold

Correct Mike, the loco is facing in the up direction and the house backs are (rather were) in Tudor St. and Tudor Lane

The large building on the left hand edge still stands at the junction of Clare Road / Tudor St / Clare St.

Brian R

Many thanks Brian - and to think that I used to lodge in Despenser St!!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks everyone for the helpful additional notes, corrections, and confirmations - I hope you're continuing to find the thread interesting and at sometime I shall try to get round to producing an index to help folk find engines/places.  But for now some more goodies.

Having referred to 7008 in the previous post I think I had better start with it - alas the date and location are not noted but it still looks in fairly new condition so I resume the picture dates from 1948(?) 

post-6859-0-94510600-1382952877_thumb.jpg

Now a cuckoo in the nest in the shape of WD 2-8-0 90016 at Ebbw Jcn with the date noted as 15 July 1951 - and note the engine is carrying LNER pattern lamps.

post-6859-0-04371100-1382952959_thumb.jpg

Now a rather nice action shot of 1022 - noted as leaving Weston Rhyn, April 1953

post-6859-0-33301100-1382953126_thumb.jpg

This is noted as 2923 passing South Liberty, 4 Octr 1933

post-6859-0-94410900-1382953271_thumb.jpg

A very spick & span 2368 - not dated but noted as Oxford (Shed)

post-6859-0-65767400-1382953425_thumb.jpg

And a very interesting view of 1029 - undated and I regret I don't recognise the location (I wonder if it is on the Oxford - Princes Risborough branch?) but a wealth of interesting detail and now identified as Wheatley by BG John, thanks.

post-6859-0-10269200-1382953553_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

1029 looks like it could be at Wheatley. It fits the track layout, the building visible on the platform looks like the goods shed, the big building on the left is where the saw mill was, and the crane seems to be in the right place and matches a photo in Great Western Stations Vol 2.

This is the only photo I've found online http://images.mediastorehouse.net/121/8748631_450_450_0_0_fit_6_46c8a73d06c63003ac65270d01cb4a5b.jpg , and the track plan is on page 198 of Great Western Stations Vol 2. What I can't find is a photo showing the rather distinctive signal, but there was one in that location.

Edited to add: Of course if I'd looked at page 63 of Princes Risborough - Thame - Oxford Railway before writing the above, I'd have seen the photo with the signal visible! It also shows the curved roof of the saw mill, so I think this is definitely Wheatley.

Edited by BG John

It left Llanelly in May 1955 - presumably for Birkenhead although I have no further details for it.  One source suggests it might have been withdrawn in 1958.

I may even have 'seen' it when being presented to my great-aunts who lived opposite the BP&GV yard at Burry Port; as I was only born in January of that year, it didn't register..

• RMweb Gold

I may even have 'seen' it when being presented to my great-aunts who lived opposite the BP&GV yard at Burry Port; as I was only born in January of that year, it didn't register..

Rather like me then Brian - I was in hospital not far from 7010 when that picture was taken but I was completely unaware of it significance at the time ;)

1029 looks like it could be at Wheatley. It fits the track layout, the building visible on the platform looks like the goods shed, the big building on the left is where the saw mill was, and the crane seems to be in the right place and matches a photo in Great Western Stations Vol 2.

This is the only photo I've found online http://images.mediastorehouse.net/121/8748631_450_450_0_0_fit_6_46c8a73d06c63003ac65270d01cb4a5b.jpg , and the track plan is on page 198 of Great Western Stations Vol 2. What I can't find is a photo showing the rather distinctive signal, but there was one in that location.

Edited to add: Of course if I'd looked at page 63 of Princes Risborough - Thame - Oxford Railway before writing the above, I'd have seen the photo with the signal visible! It also shows the curved roof of the saw mill, so I think this is definitely Wheatley.

Many thanks John - that all sounds like concrete evidence so I shall duly record the location as Wheatley

• Like 1

Mike

The photo of 45xx 4598 right back at the beginning of this thread was taken in the Looe Branch platform at Liskeard - the pillar tank in the background is the givaway and 4598 was a St.Blazey engine for a good number of years.

In the backgorund of the photo of 3608 at Oxford can be seen the tower of St. Barnabas Church in Jericho - to generations of Oxford enginemen this was known as 'Barneys Clock' as it was right across the railway from Oxford engine shed.

Hope this is of interest.

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Mike

The photo of 45xx 4598 right back at the beginning of this thread was taken in the Looe Branch platform at Liskeard - the pillar tank in the background is the givaway and 4598 was a St.Blazey engine for a good number of years.

In the backgorund of the photo of 3608 at Oxford can be seen the tower of St. Barnabas Church in Jericho - to generations of Oxford enginemen this was known as 'Barneys Clock' as it was right across the railway from Oxford engine shed.

Hope this is of interest.

Gerry

Thanks Gerry - that's two votes for St Barnabas and many of the photos were taken at Oxford (some have a note to that effect, in the case of others various contributors have confirmed some that I couldn't).  Thanks for the info re 4598 and it does look as if you could be right on that so I will add to the notes thanks.

A brilliant set of photos!

Could I humbly suggest that you put a reference number against each of your images - and that people use them when making comments, so we all know exactly which ones people are referring to.

Yes, but every post has a number on it already and every photo has some notes which identify the engine by number where known/visible or class and the location is also identified by name where known.  The scans also have details as well although I don't use separate numbers for them because I have to spend time entering and in some cases researching or confirming other details such as checking the number and checking quoted place names where ever I can, added to which each scan has to be reduced twice - once for my file copy and again for posting so I really don't feel like adding anymore to be honest.  If in any doubt simply quote the number of the post.

Many thanks Brian - and to think that I used to lodge in Despenser St!!

I used to walk the streets around there, Despenser St. / Plantagenet St. / Fitzhamon Embkt. / Clare Gardens  etc .................. but we'll leave the subject at this point !

Several years ago Victoria House was known amongst a certain type of local person as 'brown towers' - because of the colour of what you could buy there ! ............ again, I think we'll move on .

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And the next batch.

Mogul 5321 at an unknown location (it might be Oxford as so many of the pictures were taken there but nothing to really indicate where it is)

post-6859-0-63128000-1382973652_thumb.jpg

And this one of 4093 is noted as Oxford 1952

post-6859-0-95299300-1382973860_thumb.jpg

1025 at Old Oak Common, noted as October 1957

post-6859-0-98546600-1382973944_thumb.jpg

7810 in Swindon Works yard and noted incorrectly as 3 May 1955 - was it 1958 maybe or possibly 1959 before the engine went to North Wales?

post-6859-0-47828300-1382974041_thumb.jpg

9017 in store, noted as Aberystwyth 30 Mar 1955 and I think the location is correct; it was standard practice to store locos on the Cambrian section outside the summer period

post-6859-0-62552100-1382974235_thumb.jpg

And finally an interesting 2-8-0, the picture is noted as 3816 and al the details indicate that is correct but looking closely at an enlargement it looks to me more as if the cab side window is plated over rather than being ordinary sheet.  The location is unknown - until somebody, hopefully, recognises it?

post-6859-0-37896200-1382974314_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Cab window plating was a wartime thing (as I'm sure you know, Mike) and the composition is possibly a bit rushed - a surreptitious wartime shot?

I am enjoying these, even though they're almost all 'foreign'.

The difference with 3816 was, according to the RCTS, that it didn't have plated over apertures but had solid sidesheets which had not been cut out; I wonder if they had in fact been cut out but weren't glazed before being plated over?  And yes - probably a 'snatched' shot but another interesting thing is the condition of the P.O. wagons so it can't have been very far into wartime I reckon.

And provided you don't confine your tastes to 'big engines' I might slip in a few from the dry side at some stage to give you kittens some amusement with the captions (but I do know Cambridge when I see it, I know what an E4 looked like, and even my daughter knows a J39 when she sees one ;)