How do I relivery a Class 86

Help us to help you:

what livery is it now?

what livery would you like it to be?

which manufacturer's is it? - EJIT:  Hornby - it would help if I could read

Basically, it's a fairly straightforward set of steps, the same as any D&E loco give or take a few tweaks, but it might be useful to have a few more details :angel:

Excellent step-by-step guide to changing loco liveries here:

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Rolling%20Stock/loco-respray-p1.htm

Any number of video guides on YouTube and a host of threads on RMWeb about this process too.

If you are looking for specific suppliers of equipment, paints, decals or detailing parts then we need to know - as has been asked above - what livery you wish to change to but the process of conversion is not too frightening.

To clear things up, I am deciding of doing a project which includes a Hornby Class 86 and repainting in a fictional livery. I am looking for silver paint, warning panels, black and dark blue paint. And if possible can anyone help me of finding a manufacturer that supplies DC controlled bi-directional lighting at all. 

The project in question, is something of uniqueness which I don't think has been done before. My original idea was to paint a Class 86 in MML Bambi livery to see what if such livery was applied to the 86's before most was withdrawn about 05/06, but can't find the sufficient decals/paints for that particular livery. 

The silver livery etc is just part of the locos livery, as it I would like to add a bit of a gaming vibe of the early 2000's (Now some might hate the idea) but something I would like to try.

Oh and I forgot to mention, that as soon as I can acquire an 86 (maybe at the NEC this November, no doubt) what accurate detailing kits would suit an 86 from the early 2000's 

Try Express Models for your lighting, they offer options for DCC, DC, and DC 'Lightstore'.

DC Lightstore

Ref: EXH/T71LS
'Lightstore' head and tail lighting unit for the Hornby class 86 electric locomotive.
Price: £16.95

Also of interest:

£15.95 for the standard DC lights Ref: EXH/T71

or

£19.95 for the standard DC lights including high-intensity headlight Ref: EXHT71(W)

Edit: with regard to transfers have you considered printing your own? Waterslide paper is available relatively cheaply.

Edit Edit: for detailing Class 86s, check out Jim Smith-Wright (jim s-w) of this parish. His Birmingham New Street thread has some cracking info which should be of use.

Guest Celticwardog

Lots of info in this thread.

I think there's an 86 in there somewhere, but regardless of loco type, the techniques are still the same.

Cheers,

Mick

And heres me thinking you would say dip it in a bucket of yellow paint :jester:

• RMweb Premium
Guest Celticwardog

I've noticed in other threads you might be looking to do this in silver? I can highly recommend the Alclad range of metallic. Have used them for the 1st time recently and they are very convincing. They MUST be airbrushed, but I will assume you have one of these as I don't see how you could re-paint any livery convincingly with a brush. Would also recommend stripping the paint with brake fluid, its the cheapest way to to it. I have found this doesn't shift everything all the time and you may have to use something else to get the last bits out, something Phoenix superstrip.

I have got a Hornby Class 86(with a damaged pantograph) after looking through my collection in the old Virgin trains livery, so that will be the start of this project I am trying to do. Does anyone know where I could find a more accurate pantograph for the Hornby Class 86 at all. And the reason being is so that I could bring the old Hornby 86 to a more modern standards.

Oh, and can anyone help me of how to take the loco body off without damaging

Thanks

Replacement BW and SF pans are available from Hurst Models:

http://www.shop.hurstmodels.com/pantograph-kits-53-c.asp

A cheaper but more labour intensive option for a BW is to get a Hornby one from Ebay and file it down a bit to make it look more slender.

Shawplan do fire suppresion tanks for the 86 roof too.

From what i can remember from the last of mine i took apart, but it's been a while, there's a long screw in the middle at the bottom which needs to come out (be careful when re-attaching this as there's no obvious stop and it can go back in too far) then carefully prize the sides away from the chassis to unclip it. I should be fairly obvious where it's being held in place when you start. Be aware that there will be wires going from the chassis to the roof for the supply selector by the pantograph, these are on crimped spade connectors and should slide off with a little effort. If you've no intention of using the pan for the supply ever again then just connect those 2 wires together while it's in pieces......of course i may be getting confused with the last class 90 i took apart there.

Something that did come to my mind from what you've described you'd like to do and might make bits easier (like getting yellow panels the correct size and numbers+warning stickers in the right place) is rather than creating a livery from scratch to look like a gaming theme, why not chose a 'new' game from your era of choice and treat it as advertising on an 86? That way important details you can do as per the original company (Virgin or Anglia i'm guessing) to get them right and have a prototype to work to but the sides can look however you would like. If that makes sense. A good example is this unimaginative Virgin effort:

post-9147-0-95184300-1383218251.jpg

HTH

Replacement BW and SF pans are available from Hurst Models:

http://www.shop.hurstmodels.com/pantograph-kits-53-c.asp

A cheaper but more labour intensive option for a BW is to get a Hornby one from Ebay and file it down a bit to make it look more slender.

Shawplan do fire suppresion tanks for the 86 roof too.

From what i can remember from the last of mine i took apart, but it's been a while, there's a long screw in the middle at the bottom which needs to come out (be careful when re-attaching this as there's no obvious stop and it can go back in too far) then carefully prize the sides away from the chassis to unclip it. I should be fairly obvious where it's being held in place when you start. Be aware that there will be wires going from the chassis to the roof for the supply selector by the pantograph, these are on crimped spade connectors and should slide off with a little effort. If you've no intention of using the pan for the supply ever again then just connect those 2 wires together while it's in pieces......of course i may be getting confused with the last class 90 i took apart there.

Something that did come to my mind from what you've described you'd like to do and might make bits easier (like getting yellow panels the correct size and numbers+warning stickers in the right place) is rather than creating a livery from scratch to look like a gaming theme, why not chose a 'new' game from your era of choice and treat it as advertising on an 86? That way important details you can do as per the original company (Virgin or Anglia i'm guessing) to get them right and have a prototype to work to but the sides can look however you would like. If that makes sense. A good example is this unimaginative Virgin effort:

attachicon.gifimagesv.jpg

HTH

So basically get the warning panels etc, and for the sides of the loco advertise in a way my chosen game. If that is what you mean by.

And quite interesting of what you have just mentioned i may add of your advice. Much appreciated. :)

I have a couple of Hornby 86s i repainted into the Network Rail twins, just adding roof details as advised above makes a big difference.

I also fitted south east flush glazing, etched wiper blades etc.

Removing the big Hornby couplings and replacing with Kadee couplers makes a big difference, as does pipework on the buffer beams. Nameplates and weathering make a difference, mine run with panto down as they are dragged by a class 66 and one 86 has a flashing tail light in the centre window.

As for pantographs contact P H Designs, they are in the process of making resin ones.

Good luck with your project

Bob

networkrail86twins_zps9903107e.jpg

86902_zps0bb20a68.jpg

bench5_zpsfa7ba261.jpg

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

From what i can remember from the last of mine i took apart, but it's been a while, there's a long screw in the middle at the bottom which needs to come out

No screws in a Hornby 86, the only thing that holds the body onto the chassis are four clips on the body sides. You can see the clips through the holes just behind the cab doors. Ease the sides of the body out around the clips and the chassis should slide out, while the weight will fall out and land on your foot!

Andi

So basically get the warning panels etc, and for the sides of the loco advertise in a way my chosen game. If that is what you mean by.

And quite interesting of what you have just mentioned i may add of your advice. Much appreciated. :)

Yep that's pretty much it.

No screws in a Hornby 86, the only thing that holds the body onto the chassis are four clips on the body sides. You can see the clips through the holes just behind the cab doors. Ease the sides of the body out around the clips and the chassis should slide out, while the weight will fall out and land on your foot!

Andi

And yep, i must have been getting confused with class 90s. I thought i may have been.

Yep that's pretty much it.

And yep, i must have been getting confused with class 90s. I thought i may have been.

I am thinking of a game console colours from the early 2000's to meet my chosen set years of the class 86 between 2000 and 2007. And what I have been thinking is about painting the sides in silver (perhaps a darker silver), the cab window surrounds, cab roofs, and main roof in matt black, the doors in a dark blue (not too sure what shade of dark blue though), yellow half warning panels, and applying the early style MML logo plus Bambi deer in small in black next to the game console of my choice.

Just thought of doing this unusual take of a Class 86 to stand out from the rail companies from the nationalization to today in the modelling world. Might get some hate from that of what I have just said. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived