RMweb

Film and tv railway errors

andyram

• RMweb Gold

I went to see Paddington 2 yesterday.

Some "interesting" railway scenes.

Not recomended for those in the H & S or real railway operations fields.

Bernard

I loved every minute of the railway scenes - after all if you believe the prison scenes and various other things in the film why not enjoy the railway scenes and I loved the fact that Didcot coal stage actually leads to a big drop into a very deep river.  However I have heard from various people that adults seem much keener on the film than children.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

While its fun to spot the mistakes, these films were made for Joe Public, many of whom are not well up on the intricacies of railway working or even railways these days.  So you are left with those who want to make a movie as cheaply as possible using any old train; to these guys a train is a train, no matter if it puffs or not!  OTOH, some directors care about their pictures and in 'The Train', John Frankenheimer made it as realistic as possible.

Some degree of compromise is inevitable but a degree of effort should always go into getting the details reasonably correct, or as close to as is realistically plausible without wasting a fortune of time and money (take it to the ridiculous extreme - no-one is going to put a Pendolino in a Victorian setting, at least unless you've got some weird time-travlling sci-fi story).

Some degree of compromise is inevitable but a degree of effort should always go into getting the details reasonably correct, or as close to as is realistically plausible without wasting a fortune of time and money (take it to the ridiculous extreme - no-one is going to put a Pendolino in a Victorian setting, at least unless you've got some weird time-travlling sci-fi story).

Agree, but railway enthusiasts can be their own worse enemy, not surprising sometimes they become the brunt of humour, taking fiction so serious bordering on attention problems, compromise IS needed.

I loved every minute of the railway scenes - after all if you believe the prison scenes and various other things in the film why not enjoy the railway scenes and I loved the fact that Didcot coal stage actually leads to a big drop into a very deep river.  However I have heard from various people that adults seem much keener on the film than children.

I did pick up the Didcot shot. Although some locations were not known to me.

In the respect of adult versus children entertainment I find it rather like a pantomime with different scenes giving different responses.

I particularly enjoyed the street furniture in Chalk Farm, or as the upmarket current residents call it, Primrose Hill. But then I have as, some would say, an unnatural interest in architectural detail.

I do think the union that is supposed to be looking after the Bin Man, should get down to negotiating a reduction in the extraordinary length of his round. 

The timing of the marmalade making was also a bit out as the Seville Oranges are only in season just around the present date.

In general I found the whole film very entertaining and very well cast and produced.

Bernard

• Like 2

I once spoke to the guy on one preserved railway which is able to offer just about any era and combination to meet the flm maker's requirements. 

Often the jobsworths agreed an accurate representation of what was wanted, and were over-ridden by the director selecting something more "interesting" such as a Bulleid pacific instead of a two coach local headed by a tank loco.  He said that the railways try hard to offer as close a consist as possible to the era and region, only to be over ruled.  And of course, the railway gets the stick for an inaccurate presentation.

I am not sure I agree that the railway gets the stick for any inaccurate presentation. I think viewers are sensible enough to understand that the directors are responsible for making decisions regarding such scenes.

• RMweb Premium

Being well and truly one of the minority earns one the label of "NURD".

Mrs. S. always pauses the film and lets out a little sigh when I pipe up in the middle of the movie like during the end of Dunkirk... "OH come on". "Those are 1950s built mark ones and with corporate era seat covers from the 70s".
"Nurd"! "Now can we enjoy the end of the flick with out any more interruptions". :mosking:

Whilst it is amusing to some, irritating to others, when trains from the wrong era are portrayed I can forgive this to a point. An early BR crest when a late one should be used and vice versa are forgivable in my book. But using BR liveried locos on stock in a war time film is definitely wrong especially if it is a portrayal of real historical events.

If I recall correctly, Wonder Woman and entourage travel on a WW1 boat train to the channel in a nice green Southern carriage. At the time I remember thinking "at least it's from the right region", quickly followed by "hang on, it's not 1924 yet". I don't recall whether a locomotive was even depicted, or whether the green carriage is actually a Southern carriage.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

If I recall correctly, Wonder Woman and entourage travel on a WW1 boat train to the channel in a nice green Southern carriage. At the time I remember thinking "at least it's from the right region", quickly followed by "hang on, it's not 1924 yet". I don't recall whether a locomotive was even depicted, or whether the green carriage is actually a Southern carriage.

The film producers not only hired the C Class (number 592) plus all the coaching stock from the Bluebell Railway, they also paid for it to be tested and certificated to run on Network Rail metals from East Grinstead round to Bounds Green depot then on to Kings Cross for a couple of nights filming.

See

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradjoyce/24240833974

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60539035@N02/24250567414

As a result the C class and the coaches used all gained TOPS numbers.....

Edited by phil-b259
  • Like 10

The film producers not only hired the C Class (number 592) plus all the coaching stock from the Bluebell Railway, they also paid for it to be tested and certificated to run on Network Rail metals from East Grinstead round to Bounds Green depot then on to Kings Cross for a couple of nights filming.

See

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du_AO_u6BCQ

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradjoyce/24240833974

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60539035@N02/24250567414

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIibCFLjEJY

As a result the C class and the coaches used all gained TOPS numbers.....

I never saw the film, but for the kind of film I know it is (that is, not a historical film of a true event), that was a very good effort, even if some of the coaches are a bit too old, and some liveried too late for WWI. Edited by Coppercap

As a regular watcher of that glorious, low-budget, anachronistic, Canadian silliness that is The Murdoch Mysteries, I find the idea that Toronto's main railway station was a single track, wayside affair to be rather endearing. Much as I also find the idea that c1900 Toronto had an apparent total of 3 shops, one run-down rooming house and one posh suburban street :D. To be fair to the producers they did find the budget to film part of one episode in what was unmistakeably Bristol (sadly no railway scenes, which would probably have been even funnier), but i think that cleared out the piggy bank for the whole season.

O the subject of reruns of detective shows, I also found it hilarious when The Last Detective investigated the death of a man run down by an express, apparently hauled by an 08, and running on a Broad Gauge, baulk road siding :D.

Has anyone else watched The Polar Express (Tom Hanks Christmas cartoon)? I'm fairly sure some scenes are not prototypical - punching tickets to spell words, crossing a frozen lake, questionable gradients... Not to mention ridiculously riding on the front of the locomotive in pyjamas. In winter?

• RMweb Premium

PatB

I've never watched Murdoch, but parts of it are filmed in Guelph, where we have a few old-looking streets, like the one where we have coffee every Saturday.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I remember unfortunately catching  the end of an episode of Hart to Hart....that was bad enough..

But they claimed to be landing at Heathrow, then showed an airport with single story white painted buildings, with mountains in the background. Shortly followed by the obligatory shot of Routemasters on London Bridge with the Houses of Parliment in the back ground and 1960s cars..

I remember unfortunately catching  the end of an episode of Hart to Hart....that was bad enough..

But they claimed to be landing at Heathrow, then showed an airport with single story white painted buildings, with mountains in the background. Shortly followed by the obligatory shot of Routemasters on London Bridge with the Houses of Parliment in the back ground and 1960s cars..

'Hart To Hart', someone actually admitted to watching it ? - Hang on !! Natalie Wood wasn't it ?? We can excuse that then !! :sungum: 

• Like 2

'Hart To Hart', someone actually admitted to watching it ? - Hang on !! Natalie Wood wasn't it ?? We can excuse that then !! :sungum:

No, not Natalie, but her husband, with Stefanie Powers (who was nice, but not as pretty as Nat...).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quite remarkable, as you can't see the Houses of Parliament from London Bridge!

Well not the one in the clip thats now in America somewhere

• Like 1

I remember unfortunately catching the end of an episode of Hart to Hart....that was bad enough..

C'mon chap, play the game! Would it have been that difficult to shoehorn in Max's opening credits line?

"It was moiyder!"

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

In the latest series, The Queen arrives in Norfolk (Loughborough on the GCR) behind a Black 5. I think was in late crest. It’s supposed to be 1957.

And the late Crest was introduced in 1956 so no issue.