Minsterley - Modern Image OHLE Layout

Doughnut

Thanks Ken. The points are all peco electrofrog large points. Compared to the real thing, they are small, but they are the biggest you can get, ready to run. The exception is the cross-over with the yellow Hy-drive, which is based on two CV9.25 turnouts, ie the real thing. I had to scratch build that though, with code 82 rail and copperclad sleepers, but you can see the size difference.

Dave

Thanks Ken. The points are all peco electrofrog large points. Compared to the real thing, they are small, but they are the biggest you can get, ready to run. The exception is the cross-over with the yellow Hy-drive, which is based on two CV9.25 turnouts, ie the real thing. I had to scratch build that though, with code 82 rail and copperclad sleepers, but you can see the size difference.

Dave

yes Dave the crossover is a brilliant piece handmade track and thanks as I did wonder if they were peco large, your close up shots of them help me a lot as in layout planning connecting them together as you have done. Never seamed right or the gaps between tracks so I`ve tended use depending on design either the 1.5" or 3" straight between point joins. yes some will say track separation ain`t prototypical but then if ever built wont be prototypical anyway. so your close up track shots are extremely informational thanks.

Yes Ken, I think the track separation for a peco cross-over was about 34mm, whereas the handbuilt point crossover was 36mm, running edge to running edge. I'll take some measurements tomorrow if you want Ken just to be certain?. If I remember I did have to insert a very short length of straight between peco turnouts to get the 36mm interval.

In reality the minimum track interval is 1970mm, which works out as 26mm, back of track to  back of track.

Dave

Thanks for that Dave very interesting on gaps but then again even the real thing aint straight all the time. As for the 6` for me never looks right way too close and hence why I always tend to design with at least 2" between tracks hence filler between points, guess im just fussy on some things but aint we all like that at times.

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks Ben. Yes the ramp line can access the line to which it is directly joined and the Up Fast line adjacent to it. So perhaps a feather might be required for the Up Fast?

Dave

Yes, that would be the best arrangement. Be careful where you position the signal - the retaining walls create signal sighting issues.

The layout is looking good mate!

Managed to get some more done over the last couple of days, now I'm recovered from the lurg which seems to be about.

Home-made retaining walls completed and installed. I'm now installing the platforms of the through-station called Penbury. The gap between the retaining walls is for a low relief station building, which is still under construction, with canopies....etc.

Dave

post-863-0-99055800-1395173050_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-34220000-1395173076_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-71008500-1395173111_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-52451600-1395173143_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-91354300-1395173169_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-75327800-1395173205_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doughnut
  • Like 11

Looking like something out of a cookery/baking lesson, my method for doing platforms. Peco platform edgings with slaters embossed brick,( painted Engineering blue and thinned acrylic white for the mortar joints) positioned and glued into the right place using a 'track gauge' (piece of cardboard cut to right size to allow a Hornby Mk3 to just clear platform lip). Then strips of cheap floor tile cut to about 8mm thickness. This then is grooved at the points corresponding to the grooves on the peco edgings, which represent the platform slabs. These strips are then stuck to the back of the peco edgings to represent  true width platform coping stones. Copers sprayed with suede and then painted concrete grey. To fill the gap behind edgings, I use pieces of cut plaster board stuck down, which then has mixed plaster smeared on top of it to fill in the remaining gaps and bring the platform suface up to level., which is what you can see here. Once dry this will be sanded smooth and painted to represent tarmac, and yellow tranfer lines applied. Quite a messy business, plaster everywhere, but worth it in the end.

Dave

post-863-0-09131800-1395423027_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-93131600-1395423055_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-29883600-1395423094_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-69540500-1395423120_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doughnut
  • Like 5