Minsterley - Modern Image OHLE Layout

Doughnut

Many thanks Lewis. Just done a little bit more tonight with the advancing P-way. Quite a junction of turnouts on this side of the layout and being the long straight, its the fastest part too. The long handbuilt cross-over is based on  CV9.25  turnouts. Suppose I should have had a Kirow crane to install it, but the big hand in the sky had to do.Trying a bit of metal sleeper stuff too,for the first time. Meant I had to create some 'transition rail joiners' as the main track is code 100, the crossover code 83 and the steel sleeper track code 75. But it seemed to go together eventually. Just got to install the Cobalts now, which I put off until tomorrow. Not my favourite job.

Dave K

post-863-0-09030200-1387831562_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-06189100-1387831596_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-70796800-1387831622_thumb.jpg

post-863-0-02842200-1387831667_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doughnut
  • Like 8

What a fantastic layout in the making...love the OHLE....I've not been brave enough to add the wires as my 6 and 10 year old son's help me "operate" the layout. Did I notice a Catenary post at the end of a siding.......I need to make a few of these but can't find any prototype photo's. If so, how do you make the wheel's that the wire passes over? (If you know what I mean!)

All the best

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Nice modelling - the OLE is particularly eye-catching.

Minor point - would you have yellow "high speed trains pass this platform" lines on the terminal platforms? I've checked a few photos I've taken at Manchester Picadilly, Liverpool Lime St and London Euston and they don't have any. Even Leeds, which is a relatively slow through station doesn't have them. I'm not certain what the line speed limit is before yellow lines are needed.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Steve, Karl, Mick. The yellow lines on the terminus station, Mick, I got from Waterloo. Think London bridge has them too. I know these aren't OLE stations, but I liked the look and think it sets off the platforms. Not sure myself what the ruling is on yellow lines. Steve, the tensioning mast wheels, which I think you're talking about, I made using small metal press studs that I got from Hobbycraft. They look similar to the real thing. I make a small pulley set up with them and some brass wire.  Then  brass wire is  wound around them and attached to the mast with solder. I use these masts, like the real thing, to add a little tension to the OLE.  I've added a pic. Sorry it's a bit naff and out of focus.

Dave K

post-863-0-39243400-1387838604.jpg

Edited by Doughnut
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave,

I've just checked my one and only Waterloo pic and yellow lines are there! I stand corrected.

post-408-0-72829200-1387838897_thumb.jpg

You've now got me thinking about the regulations (and checking my photos where there is a platform..........................)

Maybe to do with curvature as well?

Edit:

Found this on the RGS website:

At stations where the line speed is in excess of 165 km/h (100mph) an

additional yellow line shall be provided not less than 1000mm back from the

platform edge, together with warning signs.

I've certainly seen yellow lines at stations where the line speed is far lower than 100mph. Maybe someone can enlighten us?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

The yellow lines plot thickens.

Hope you don't mind me posting these here.

A quick check through my pics - mostly northern biased. By no means an exhaustive list and things could've changed since my pics were taken.

Yellow lines:

Carlisle (through lines), Warrington, Cardiff, Leicester, through platforms at Manchester Picc. Crewe (through roads), Preston (through roads), Salford Crescent, Ealing Broadway, Reading

No yellow lines,

Carlisle (bay platforms), Manchester Oxford Rd, Leeds, Blackburn, terminal roads at Man Picc. Crewe (terminal platforms), Derby, Sheffield, Preston bay platforms, Euston, Liverpool Lime St, York, Stockport, Paddington.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks Steve, Carl, Mick. The yellow lines on the terminus station, Mick, I got from Waterloo. Think London bridge has them too. I know these aren't OLE stations, but I liked the look and think it sets off the platforms. Not sure myself what the ruling is on yellow lines. Steve, the tensioning mast wheels, which I think you're talking about, I made using small metal press studs that I got from Hobbycraft. They look similar to the real thing. I make a small pulley set up with them and some brass wire.  Then  brass wire is  wound around them and attached to the mast with solder. I use these masts, like the real thing, to add a little tension to the OLE.  I've added a pic. Sorry it's a bit naff and out of focus.

Dave K

Thanks Dave, that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'll just have to modify mine slightly due to a lack of actual wires!! Thanks for getting back to me though, it's a great help. By the way, are they the 6mm stud's?

Steve

Edited by D86

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Steve, Karl, Mick. The yellow lines on the terminus station, Mick, I got from Waterloo. Think London bridge has them too. I know these aren't OLE stations, but I liked the look and think it sets off the platforms. Not sure myself what the ruling is on yellow lines. Steve, the tensioning mast wheels, which I think you're talking about, I made using small metal press studs that I got from Hobbycraft. They look similar to the real thing. I make a small pulley set up with them and some brass wire.  Then  brass wire is  wound around them and attached to the mast with solder. I use these masts, like the real thing, to add a little tension to the OLE.  I've added a pic. Sorry it's a bit naff and out of focus.

Dave K

You know that Brian Shawplan does etches of the pulley wheels? They are such nice little pieces that it is possible to actually make them work, this is 4mm!

Andi

• Like 1

I reckon the yellow lines on the platform at Waterloo used to warn passengers to stay away from slam-door trains arriving with people opening doors before the trains stopped.

Yes - was for exactly that reason............with the introduction of TPWS the approach speed to the stops became so slow that most trains were class 5 before coming to a halt...................................... :O

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys

I have checked the BR drawings and the Mk3 pully is 330mm outside diameter which scales down to 4.34mm, the inside diameter is 305. Or Style 003 which is 320mm and 4.2mm.

Andi, drawing 001-131-807-s000-r001.

What is the one in 001-131-003-s000-r003 that is 222mm OD?

Andi