At risk of being boring and repetitive...

I've finally had a chance to start playing with my new Fowler -plain green - a Christmas present from my lovely wife. It's come with the full sound package from Paul at EDM, and the whole thing is superb - and I'm a fussy b******r!

The loco itself absolutely comes up to expectations, with all the fine detail one would wish for - and the slow-speed running (out of the box) is the best I've come across.

The DCC / Stay-alive / sound installation is so good, it's just showing off.......

I agree the rods and fly-cranks are a bit 'bling' – but they were never going to stay like that anyway! Mine have already changed colour and I'm in the process of polishing the paintwork prior to weathering.

All in all, a first rate job from all concerned.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Found this article on the DM website, a picture near the end of the piece appears to show a Fowler. I thought somebody might find some inspiration from it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2534498/Inside-Britains-nuclear-chemical-weapons-factory-NOT-discovered-Nazi-intelligence-World-War-Two.html

Pete

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting layout idea - secret enriched uranium factory. A few years ago I met a 7mm NGA member who machined loco flywheels out of depleted uranium 'he got from work' - the locos ran well!

• Like 1

Having seen the pre-production models and subsequently the production version, I was quite sure that I would have no use for or excuse to buy one of these for my layout. That was until I read Paul Martin and Paul Chetter's contributions to this thread. I promptly ordered a plain green one with the fully-fitted DCC sound package from NGTrains in early December and it arrived today.

'Chuffed to bits' doesn't come close to describing my verdict! It runs very slowly and sweetly, and the sounds are excellent. The 'stay alive' function is most impressive too. The loco was allowed to run off the end of my short test track and continued for several seconds (and thus some distance!) across the wooden top of the baseboards. Care will be therefore be needed to properly drive the loco to avoid a mishap!

The motion needs attention to lose the bright chrome finish but that should be a straightforward painting job.

Highly recommended.

Dave

Edited by daifly
  • Like 1

Youtube video (my first attempt so be gentle, please). The sequence starts with the Diesel engine running which is then shut down. Next is the starting of the donkey engine which, in turn, starts the main diesel. A couple of toots and we're off with a clumsy gear change en route to the end of the track for a demo of the keep alive!
There are lots of other sound functions but far too many to show whilst traversing a metre of C&L track!
Cheers
Dave

• Like 7

Youtube video (my first attempt so be gentle, please). The sequence starts with the Diesel engine running which is then shut down. Next is the starting of the donkey engine which, in turn, starts the main diesel. A couple of toots and we're off with a clumsy gear change en route to the end of the track for a demo of the keep alive!

There are lots of other sound functions but far too many to show whilst traversing a metre of C&L track!

Cheers

Dave

The two Pauls have done a great job with our Fowler. The scope for clumsy gear changes is part of the driving fun. The gears have to be changed manually and I think back to double de-clutching on old army Bedford SLs when I was in the Leeds University Officers Training Corps before going to Sandhurst. 

For my wallet;s sake, could someone find something negative to say about these wee beasties please...?

Must admit I've never really been one for sound, particularly in the smaller scales. But the Pauls have managed to convince me otherwise with this, it's brilliant. I've a bit of a thing for older "small" diesel engines anyway, but it really does sound the part. I'd be forever shutting it off though, just to hear the fantastic shut down & start up sequences- very familiar (along with the rather long winded gear shifts!) from the "other" hobby of classic commercials, although we don't have the luxury of a donkey engine there- a pair of freshly charged batteries & hope for the best :)  

Will EDM have a demonstrator at the Brizzle 0 gauge show?

... but it really does sound the part. I'd be forever shutting it off though, just to hear the fantastic shut down & start up sequences.........

LOL. And to think I made special provision (F5) so that users can, optionally, start the engine without having to wait for the whole donkey engine start up to complete.

Oh well, at least you have the choice!

Kind regards,

One of the Pauls

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Maybe.

At the moment though they keep selling as fast as I can convert them so they are effectively "to order" at the moment.  This is one of the reasons I haven't got round to posting videos of the sound project in use (thanks to others for doing that), they don't stay here long enough to get recorded.

I have four on the bench at the moment having installs done. Two have homes to go to, the other two are `available' but on recent form that won't last. When they are done I am going to do some other customers engines (K28, K27 a C19 and two Manning Wardle 0-4-0's for the sake of my sanity. They say a change is as good as a rest.

After that I have a full size narrow gauge loco to rewire and then it will be back to the Fowlers so when this batch is done its likely to be a February delivery for the next conversions

Cheers

Dave

Great video, Dave.

It's the loco equivalent of the Duracell bunny. It keeps going, and going, and going......

I've been looking at other Fowlers. The RAF used a centre cab design on what appears to be the same chassis as the Ixion loco. I may have a crack at scratchbuilding a new superstructure, but I suspect the motor will be visible in the cab. Here are a couple of photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johngreyturner/3849464057/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johngreyturner/3850259772/in/photostream/

I've just about finished mine (although you never really finish...!)

IMG_1272_zps8a05560c.jpg

IMG_1267_zpsf5946886.jpg

Stunning job as always Giles. Can you remind us how you get the worn, but cared-for effect? I'm assuming a gentle spray of dirt that is washed off and followed by polishing of the paintwork. This is precisely the effect I want to achieve on my Kitchener.

• Like 1

Other way round Chris.

I took your beautiful model, and first job was to rub down all the main panels with 2000 grit wet & Dry (wet) to truly flat the surface. I then polished the panels back up with a bit of Duraglit or similar and kitchen towel to get the desired 'scale paint' finish. This however doesn't fully extend over all the rivet detail as much, which still holds on to much of the original paint texture - which is extremely useful for helping with the worn/cleaned appearance, as it leaves the outer edges dirtier, and also gives one thing for things like powders to key onto.

An extremely dilute matt black 'enamel wash' was streaked down the panels, and then polished off with a dry Q-tip. Powders ( mostly black) finished the main body off.

The other thing of note is that the running plate, buffers, buffer beams and main frames were all painted and then were coated in talcum powder whilst still wet. This was then either brushed off or polished off where relevant.

Unusually, no air-brushes were harmed during the painting of this loco....

Feel free to browse my Photobucket collection to see all the photos, by clicking on the photo!

All the best,

Giles

Edited by Giles

Other way round Chris.

I took your beautiful model, and first job was to rub down all the main panels with 2000 grit wet & Dry (wet) to truly flat the surface. I then polished the panels back up with a bit of Duraglit or similar and kitchen towel to get the desired 'scale paint' finish. This however doesn't fully extend over all the rivet detail as much, which still holds on to much of the original paint texture - which is extremely useful for helping with the worn/cleaned appearance, as it leaves the outer edges dirtier, and also gives one thing for things like powders to key onto.

An extremely dilute matt black 'enamel wash' was streaked down the panels, and then polished off with a dry Q-tip. Powders ( mostly black) finished the main body off.

The other thing of note is that the running plate, buffers, buffer beams and main frames were all painted and then were coated in talcum powder whilst still wet. This was then either brushed off or polished off where relevant.

Unusually, no air-brushes were harmed during the painting of this loco....

Feel free to browse my Photobucket collection to see all the photos, by clicking on the photo!

All the best,

Giles

Thanks Giles. I shall have a go when I get home from this trip. The 2MT is also superb and I shall try to reproduce the finish on my Taff Vale A Class 0-6-2T that has featured in my Cwm Bach thread in the 7mm scale section.

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers

Dave

As amusing and educational (promotional) as this '4 x 4 off-tracking' is at showing the effectiveness of NGTrain's Keep Alive solution, running for so long until the power is dissipated may not always be desireable.

Fortunately, it is possible to stipulate a maximum duration that the loco will run without receiving DCC signals. Although apparently counter-productive to the initial purpose of introducing the ability to run poor/dirty trackwork, this restriction would only apply with a complete loss of DCC, not the intermittant losses which are usually caused by contamination.

A realistic setting will allow the crossing of dead frogs and the like without exposing the model to the dangers of running off the table, across the floor and out of the French windows...........

Here's how it's done.

CV153 =X, where X is a value equivalent to 1/10 second duration, valid range 1-255.

For example, CV153 = 50 will give a maximum of 5 seconds running without a DCC signal.

If, during the timed period, the decoder receives a DCC signal (eg runs onto clean, powered track) the full specified duration will be available to cope with any further disruption.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Brainthesnail asked....

EDM will have a demonstrator at Bristol show and may have one of each livery converted to sound "as seen on this page" ready to take away (the "may have" qualification is because whilst there is one of each now we are at another event on Saturday). I might even sell the demonstrator which has red rods and do myself another one later.

A also have four loaded decoders for sale for anyone wanting to DIY.

I also have a couple of sound fitted Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0's for sale

Dave,

You did indeed give such a warning, and it was this which prompted me to seek a simple solution which would not involve hardware changes.

I enjoyed your video very much; my post was not intended to criticise you for showing it but to use it to illustrate why one might wish to restrict the duration in circumstances where there was no likelyhood of regaining a DCC signal.

I'm glad you found my tip useful.

Kind regards,

Paul