We will indeed Paul and I think you have summed up a predicament in which quite a few people find themselves about how to justify owning an example. I gave up doing that ages ago, which is why my home is filling up with models that I have bought just because I like them. In such situations I simply recall what Oscar Wilde said about temptation.

Thanks to all for the compliments about the new Fowler. I was at the Tolworth show this morning and it was good to se the Fowlers and Hudswell Clarkes on a couple of traders' stands. 

Regards,

Chris

Same here .My current batch include an Athearn mP15AC ,an S&D 4F ,and of course an Ixion Hudswell.I have an L&Y 2-4-2 on order and in N an Fox Valley Santa Fe GP60M ,an Athearn SP caboose (cant resist ) and a Dapol Southern Terrier in N .it looks pretty dire now I have listed them .Houston  ,we have a problem .Trouble is if you dont buy when you see them they are gone  for a couple of years .

In the built in speaker mount on the underframe. The speaker is the easy bit. Squeezing the decoder in requires some dexterity.

The sound decoders will be available from EDM Models shortly. Paul Chetter (Pauliebanger of this parish) is working to finalise the set up and install now that we have production models to work with. The nearly complete sound file was demonstrated at the weekend at Spalding Show on Paul's DCC Demo stand and people hearing it judged it "spot on".

Thanks for that, Paul. Do you have any plans to sell the Ixion Fowler with the DCC sound already installed? I might well be interested as I would like one but I am about to start a big On30 project so can't really spare the time to do it myself.

Chaz

• RMweb Gold

Chaz

Yes I am offering them as RtR with DCC/Sound.  They're on my website here  http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Ixion/Fowler/fowler.html

Delivery will be a few weeks as I am waiting on the finished sound project from Paul, plus a delivery of speakers and there is a small queue of ones already order to convert

Chaz

Yes I am offering them as RtR with DCC/Sound.  They're on my website here  http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Ixion/Fowler/fowler.html

Delivery will be a few weeks as I am waiting on the finished sound project from Paul, plus a delivery of speakers and there is a small queue of ones already order to convert

Excellent, thanks - will check website for the all important price....

Mine was ordered this afternoon, should be here by 1pm Thursday. :sungum:

Re GWR No1, what did they use her for @ Swindon as I can find no reference to it in my books and magazines?

Paul,

I think she was used just for moving stuff around the works.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Oops

My Fowler seems to have come apart.  Deliberately I am pleased to say. This one is in for some mods, sound and a repaint.

post-2660-0-25904100-1384296696.jpg

post-2660-0-95587100-1384296712_thumb.jpg

If there is a downside :no: to this model its that they seem to have bought a new bottle of stupidglue. On the Hudswell if you wanted a bit off the model then a sharp poke or prod usually broke the quite brittle glue joint cleanly so you could mod the part and then stick it back. So far this one has been a bit stubborn. I wanted the gear case off and and its resisted me so far. I don't really want to have to resort to debonder.

• RMweb Gold

is that space for a 28mm speaker? - well sealed the ABS-221-RC can perform quite well, but with more space available in an O gauge loco maybe consulting with someone like Paul Chetter earlier in the design stage might have allowed space for a better speaker?

or maybe I'm jumping the gun and Paul already has something planned ;)

Edited by RedgateModels

No it's not, it's a copy and paste the link correctly thing!!!!!!

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fowler_diesel_mechanical_shunter_1455_%288329998633%29.jpg

And it's on a Creative Commons licence, so you can show the picture here too!

800px-Fowler_diesel_mechanical_shunter_1

This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.

• Like 1

What are the tyres, coupling rods and jack-shaft crank made of?  Looks like a candidate for early weathering on mine when it arrives.

They are metal. We considered darkening them, but decided to leave that for owners to leave alone, paint, stain or weather to taste. I will paint the jack-shaft crank and coupling and connecting rods red on my non-GWR version.

is that space for a 28mm speaker? - well sealed the ABS-221-RC can perform quite well, but with more space available in an O gauge loco maybe consulting with someone like Paul Chetter earlier in the design stage might have allowed space for a better speaker?

or maybe I'm jumping the gun and Paul already has something planned ;)

The two Pauls have a solution. Because a model is to 7mm scale does not mean it is large with lots of space. We wanted to include the proven motor and gear train from the Hudswell Clarke and use as much space as possible for ballast weight, which is vital for good running on a small 0-4-0.

In the built in speaker mount on the underframe. The speaker is the easy bit. Squeezing the decoder in requires some dexterity.

The sound decoders will be available from EDM Models shortly. Paul Chetter (Pauliebanger of this parish) is working to finalise the set up and install now that we have production models to work with. The nearly complete sound file was demonstrated at the weekend at Spalding Show on Paul's DCC Demo stand and people hearing it judged it "spot on".

Could be interested in this if it will do (basic) sound on analogue. Does the selected chip do that?

Hi, Paul Chetter uses Zimo chips and does not usually set them up for DC sound operation. It's not as simple with Zimo as it is with ESU/Loksound.

I do use ZIMO decoders, as in this case, but the rest is not quite correct. Ha Ha.

I personally do not set my own decoders for DC running, and it's very easy for end users to change anything on ZIMO decoders including analogue operation.

However, this sound project will be fully 'analogue enabled'. Just pop the loco onto a pure DC supply (no feed back controllers or Relco type high frequency track cleaners, please) and the decoder will automatically detect the analogue supply and operate accordingly. 

Engine sounds will play, so will brake release before moving, reverser lever on direction change, and front lamp, whilst  BEMF regulation and inertia will also operate to give smooth acceleration and running, and limit top speed to the prototypical 12.5 mph. The transmission whine gets faster and louder as the road speed increases.

Of course like all DCC sound decoders, anything which requires a button press will not be avalilable on analogue, but that's because DC controllers do not have the buttons to press!!

However, the Audible Warning Device and Wheel Flange sounds are also assigned to ZIMO's external switches. Although this will require the user to fit suitable switching devices (reed switch work fine and are obtainable for NG Trains) to trigger the sounds. Suitably placed magnets will cause the flange noise to operate at turnouts, crossovers, tight turns etc, and the AWD to sound at danger points.

None of this affects the normal operation on DCC and the loco can be moved from one system to the other without any user input being required. Of course, the externally triggered sounds can also be utilised on DCC if suitable switches have been fitted.

Zimo sound decoders operate like this on analogue systems:

Functions, Sounds and Motor Power each have their own thresholds to begin operation. So, dial in 2v DC and the lamp will illuminate, increase to circa 4 volts and the sound (engine) will start up, and when you get to circa 6v movement will begin and the engine sound will increase in power. Reduce voltage, and they stop working in the reverse order. Reduce to below 6v and the loco will stop, but sounds (engine idling) will continue. There is no power to the motor, so heat will not build up. Below 4v the engine will shut down and the sounds cease to play. Below 2v, the lamp will extinguish. Just be discerning with your 'speed knob' and you can select how much operates. What more could you ask for? (well, if you want more, that's a good reason to go DCC! Ha ha).

To sum up, the sound-fitted Ixion Fowler or the separately supplied ZIMO decoder with this sound project loaded from NG Trains will work very well indeed on analogue, with a surprising number of usable features and degree of control. The BEMF regulation and built-in inertia serve to finesse the already good running characteristics of the Ixion Model.

Oh, almost forgot to mention that unlike other brands, the Zimo MX654 used in this installation comes with external power storage (stay-alive capacitor) management on-board. Low cost electrolytic capacitors can be attached to the additional pair of wires with which the decoder is equipped and the decoder controls charging and power usage. With ZIMO, no additional costly adapter boards are required. Just find enough space to fit your desired size of capacitor.

Buy with confidence!

Kind regards,

Paul

Here are two other solutions for fitting DCC to the Ixion Fowler diesel locomotive:

1) Fit the Digitrax DZ123PS decoder. The decoder is designed for N Gauge, but is rated at 1amp with a 2amp peak it has two additional functions which have a total combined rating of 0.5 amps. The maximum draw we have seen on the Fowler is motor only about 350mA.

2) Option 2 requires minor surgery to the cab as shown in the first image. The cut is 3.5mm high and 11mm wide and the chip sits neatly above the gears underneath the control console and will not be visible when the loco is reassembled. The decoder shown is a Loksound Micro V4 that is programmable for sound and includes the 8 pin plug. The wires lie neatly around the 8 pin plug. The modifcation won't invalidate the warranty.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-29522400-1384426769.jpg

post-13142-0-86881100-1384426769_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-39981300-1384426770.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

More OOPs

This one is about to change colour so I decided to see how well it came apart and into how many bits.  This isn't for the faint hearted becuase they do seem to have lashed out on a new bottle of superglue for the Fowler. With the two previous models a sharp tap would get them apart. This one had an overnight in the freezer to make the glue brittle and its still needed quite a lot of force to break the joints.

At least now detailing up the inside of the cab and adding a bloke to drive it will be easier. 

On this one I am going to cut the front of the body below the radiator away to join the gear case space to the engine compartment space.
post-2660-0-01205800-1384428894.jpg

I'll post progress pictures as it progresses

Here are two other solutions for fitting DCC to the Ixion Fowler diesel locomotive:

1) Fit the Digitrax DZ123PS decoder. The decoder is designed for N Gauge, but is rated at 1amp with a 2amp peak it has two additional functions which have a total combined rating of 0.5 amps. The maximum draw we have seen on the Fowler is motor only about 350mA.

2) Option 2 requires minor surgery to the cab as shown in the first image. The cut is 3.5mm high and 11mm wide and the chip sits neatly above the gears underneath the control console and will not be visible when the loco is reassembled. The decoder shown is a Loksound Micro V4 that is programmable for sound and includes the 8 pin plug. The wires lie neatly around the 8 pin plug. The modifcation won't invalidate the warranty.

Regards,

Chris

If you wish to adopt this more radical approach, the ZIMO MX646 or MX648 (9mmx 20mm) are more compact than the LokSound Micro yet pack a similar power output. 

Of course, they also have the distinct advantage of being able to have the same Fowler custom sound project loaded as the one developed for the 'standard' MX645, and can be ordered from NG trains.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Regards,

Chris

I'm a bit confused. Does this mean that to fit a decoder I have to dismantle the whole thing and actually cut the bodywork? Or is all this to do with DCC sound? All I want to do is to make it run on DCC. I have no intention of adding sound.

I still don't know how to take it apart as the pdf link only showed a sort of multi-coloured cross sectional diagram of where it is supposedly possible to fit a decoder.

Edited by Ruston

I'm a bit confused. Does this mean that to fit a decoder I have to dismantle the whole thing and actually cut the bodywork? Or is all this to do with DCC sound? All I want to do is to make it run on DCC. I have no intention of adding sound.

I still don't know how to take it apart as the pdf link only showed a sort of multi-coloured cross sectional diagram of where it is supposedly possible to fit a decoder.

The simplest fix is to remove the superstructure from the chassis by unscrewing the four screws shown in the instructions. Then fit the Digitrax DZ123PS decoder  by removing the 8 pin blanking plug on the PCB and inserting the decoder plug in its place. It will fit in the bonnet. The fix requiring the minor cut-out is for larger decoders, especially those incorporating sound. The N gauge decoder is more than sufficient to power the loco as the current draw is very low on The Fowler.

• RMweb Gold

Ruston, I too am a little confused.....

Could you clarify one thing. Do you actually have the loco yet?  If you have then read the instructions that come with it instead of relying on what you see here. There is a picture of the underside of the loco. On it six screws are highlighted, these remove the keeper plate which you will only need to do if you are doing something with the speaker for a sound install. Another four screws are shown and its these that release the body, They are just behind each buffer beam and are down in a bit of a dark recess and, of course, they are black screws so its bit like looking for a black cat in a coal cellar with the light off.

Fitting straight DCC is simple if you use a small decoder as has been suggested.

If you want to fit sound space is tight and there are a few ways to do it. Paul and I are basing our commercial offering around the ZIMO MX645 decoder because its got a more powerful amp than its smaller brethren and it includes stay alive capability. To fit that decoder you do need to be a bit innovative with the space and construction of the loco. Variations in the fit are about as varied as the number of different decoders you could use.  One solution Chris has shown is the cut to access the space by the control desk, another is to join the gear box space to the engine space.

The totally dismantled loco I have shown is only like that for two reasons. First, (and my mum always complained about me do this*) is I like taking things to bits and second this is going to be a sound fitted maroon loco with red rods detailed and manned cab and then weathered so I have stripped it to its component parts to paint and detail it. This one will be mine and is a bit of an exploratory dismantle before I do several for customers.

* I think her complaint was that whilst I was very good at the taking apart I sort of lost interest at the putting it back together stage

• Like 1