RMweb

Prototype for everything corner.

On 25/01/2023 at 19:02, Jeremy C said:

No. HSTs were basically loco-hauled push-pulls, not DMUs. Although I don't think most push pulls worked a brake valve at the back end.

In some countries, EP brakes on loco-hauled and push-pulls are rather common. DB and SBB are the two I know of (the latter utilising the UIC standard EP cable). Depends on timetabling needs I suppose.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I know how ordinary metal roller shutters work. I have operated them at work and unjammed one in particular that regularly stopped at the top and wouldn't come down, if someone didn't switch it off a couple of inches from the top. I have never seen a wooden one on a van. Yes on a smaller scale on a roll top desk or a tambour cupboard door, but not with tongue and groove boards that wide. May be it has a larger diameter roller at the top. Who knows? It looks like the van has other customizations as there seems to be a chimney on top.

The panels on mine are about that size and are tongue and groove, also it is double skin. so I don't see why you couldn't use timber.

EDIT you can get plywood T&G roller shutters but the panels are about 15" so probably they are stored horizontally when open and not around a roller

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

This one might be metal with a Doncaster Carriage Works paint job ..................... though still awaiting a few coats of varnish !

I don't think any of the railways' fake wood liveries included knots did they? I can't imagine that the genuine wood finishes would have had blemishes like that.

8 hours ago, DY444 said:

That's actually not true.  The only Devon bank where there was a blanket ban was Exeter St.Davids to Central.  Single power cars could work over the others providing certain conditions were met including  the number of trailers, railhead conditions, absence of signalling faults, restrictions on stopping at Torquay or Totnes and various others.

Quite correct, as a Tech Riding Inspector I have ridden several HSTs over the Devon banks on one power car. It was only possible with good railhead conditions and the stop at Totnes omitted. Do did it once in the Plymouth direction wit a stop at Totnes and then a stop up the bank due to a dislodged coping stone on an over bridge, down to approx 5 MPH at the top. 

Al Taylor

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/01/2023 at 19:12, russ p said:

Cheers Al

Is DW2 another manufacturers name for E70? When I learned 90s/DVTs they were DW3 so we were told

If the 90 was on the rear the DW3 was left in but if the DVT was on the rear it had to be isolated which seemed odd to me as emergency braking performance would be inferior 

E70 were D&M DW2 and 3 came from Westinghouse.

Al Taylor

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Welly said:

How come Mk 3 sleepers were at Poole on the 22/4/89?

There was a sleeper service between Poole and Scotland at that time. 

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

55 minutes ago, The Pilotman said:

There was a sleeper service between Poole and Scotland at that time. 

Was that the portion that got attached to the South West - Scotland sleeper?

IIRC it ran from Plymouth, with the Poole portion attached at Birmingham.

Then to Edinburgh via Glasgow.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 11/02/2023 at 00:41, phil_sutters said:

It looks like the van has other customizations as there seems to be a chimney on top.

Fish and Chip van? Serving hatch on the nearside? (Or burgers). Reminds me of the 'Chuck Wagon' that parked occasionally adjacent to one of our sites - allegedly so named because after eating the produce you'd chuck up. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Slightly wonky nameplates and damaged radiator grilles? Just noticed this while looking through some old photos....

92013.JPG.24a8e50fc7b2f99de789dbceaacd468d.JPG

You'd have thought with all that bodyside ribbing they might have got them on straight, but I think somebody must have dropped the spirit level as they got the plaque wonky too.....

• Like 4

I know this thread is for unusual one offs but I thought this everyday occurrence was worth posting. A high tech, dual power IET running on single track line and controlled by semaphores. This is Ledbury and there are two up and two down workings of an 800 that stop here each day. The train is way too long for the platform at Ledbury but of course with SDO that isn't a problem. I know these same trains are controlled by semaphores in parts of Cornwall as well but it still looks wrong.

iet.jpg.847e4c8b6d88ac41ea0d1b18ff1dee58.jpg

If I saw a layout at an exhibition running like this I would not be impressed as it seems most unlikely.

• Like 18

15 minutes ago, Chris M said:

If you wanted to go from Ledbury to Gloucester (which is about 17 miles away) by rail nowadays the quickest journey is 1 hour 35 minutes. Longer journeys, 2 hours 28 minutes, are available.

While the direct trains, when they existed, were certainly quicker, they were not very frequent. Here is an extract from the 1947 timetable:

image.png.0be5f28a8e91627bbb7d542c9a550ab8.png

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Chris M said:

I know this thread is for unusual one offs but I thought this everyday occurrence was worth posting. A high tech, dual power IET running on single track line and controlled by semaphores. This is Ledbury and there are two up and two down workings of an 800 that stop here each day. The train is way too long for the platform at Ledbury but of course with SDO that isn't a problem. I know these same trains are controlled by semaphores in parts of Cornwall as well but it still looks wrong.

If I saw a layout at an exhibition running like this I would not be impressed as it seems most unlikely.

The LNER variant is controlled by semaphores on single track on the Highland Main Line. 

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 2251 said:

While the direct trains, when they existed, were certainly quicker, they were not very frequent. Here is an extract from the 1947 timetable:

image.png.0be5f28a8e91627bbb7d542c9a550ab8.png

What did Malswick Halt do to deserve the last train pass without stopping, I wonder? Can't have been a staffing issue - presumably the Halt was unmanned.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Chris M said:

Definitely looks odd that, in some ways one for the "when the real thing looks like a model" thread, because it certainly looks like a Rule 1 application! Is that jointed bullhead track too?

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2