RMweb

Prototype for everything corner.

5 hours ago, Steven B said:

For when you can't find half your class 101:

Class 101 DMU @ Low Fell Junction, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, 1984 [slide 8436]

(Class 101 DMU @ Low Fell Junction, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, 1984 by Graeme Phillips on Flickr)

Perhaps the Rev Awdry should have done a story where the two halves of a DMU fall out with each other and will only work on their own.

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Perhaps the Rev Awdry should have done a story where the two halves of a DMU fall out with each other and will only work on their own.

A lot of 2-car DMUs were DM+DT so you could have a cautionary tale about the dangers of spite and falling out with those you rely on:

DT: He's impossible and I refuse to work with him any more!

DM: Well if that's your attitude, I'll go off work on my own!

DT: Good! And I'll do the same, so there...(sat in the platform because no engines)....oh b*gger

😄

Edited by keefer
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2023 at 12:53, Steven B said:

For when you can't find half your class 101:

Class 101 DMU @ Low Fell Junction, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, 1984 [slide 8436]

(Class 101 DMU @ Low Fell Junction, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, 1984 by Graeme Phillips on Flickr)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

"Hello, is that BR? I'd like to run a tour over the Settle/Carlisle line using a Hastings line DEMU please."

"Ok, just mind the gap at Dent"

38551819064_1e030c3a18_w.jpg

1032 Dent 120486 img179-0386E-a by Tony Woof, on Flickr

Bet that made an impressive noise on the Long Drag!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Bet that made an impressive noise on the Long Drag!

It had 6 power cars on that, I'll bet it thundered away quite nicely.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Well Daisy was half of a 101, although I don’t think she ever had a “twin” of sorts…

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

17 minutes ago, TwinBoo said:

Well Daisy was half of a 101, although I don’t think she ever had a “twin” of sorts…

Yeah, I was did a bit googling last night and I couldn't work out if she was meant to be double ended or if she had a single cab. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keefer said:

A lot of 2-car DMUs were DM+DT so you could have a cautionary tale about the dangers of spite and falling out with those you rely on:

DT: He's impossible and I refuse to work with him any more!

DM: Well if that's your attitude, I'll go off work on my own!

DT: Good! And I'll do the same, so there...(sat in the platform because no engines)....oh b*gger

😄

Codependency. That sounds like a lot of marriages.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, I was did a bit googling last night and I couldn't work out if she was meant to be double ended or if she had a single cab. 

TTBOMK, Daisy is a single unit bubble car, cab at each end.  Odd choice by Awdrey, or did she arrive on Soder after his time?  There were actual Derby ‘gothic windows’ low density single units that might arguably been a better choice!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't have a copy of Branch Line Engines to check, but do we ever see that she is just one carriage? She's a genuine Rev Awdry creation and, from the illustrations I've found online, is clearly an early 101 with four marker lights, but she's missing a destination blind.

Incidentally, she features a red marker light in one view, from which we can probably infer that ASLEF (or was it the NUR?) don't have a presence on the Isle of Sodor.

• Like 1

Several characters had their origins on Awdreys model railway.  The original Daisy was a modified Triang unit - pretty much the only easily DMU available at the time so if he wanted to make a fairly straightforward single car DMU a cut and shut on a Triang model was one way of doing it.  Similarly I think the original Duck was a Gaiety panier tank which had somewhat wobbly wheels and "waddled".

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 05/07/2023 at 18:29, montyburns56 said:

Yeah, resolve it withh an amicable agreement whereby you run the Up line services and I'll run the Down trains only.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 05/07/2023 at 18:29, montyburns56 said:

Funny you should mention that, I'm helping a mate with a comic he's doing at the moment. As a nod to Thomas, we've a couple of sentient trains in one scene, one of which is a 142, each car of which has a radically different personality that loathes the other, with arguements over who gets to be the backside-end of the train :)

(And just to drag it back to model-making, I'm building it out of Playmobil carriage components)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Titan said:

Several characters had their origins on Awdreys model railway.  The original Daisy was a modified Triang unit - pretty much the only easily DMU available at the time so if he wanted to make a fairly straightforward single car DMU a cut and shut on a Triang model was one way of doing it.  Similarly I think the original Duck was a Gaiety panier tank which had somewhat wobbly wheels and "waddled".

That makes sense; the only other readily available RTR mu stock of any sort was the Southern emu and the HD Watford/North London, marketed as Southern.  It is fortunate that the Duck in the books did not have the Gaiety's horrible square cab windows, a bit like some of Stafford Road's more esoteric Victorian products!  Friend of mine had one of these, and his wobbled a bit as well. 

• Like 2

On 06/07/2023 at 14:28, Steven B said:

"Hello, is that BR? I'd like to run a tour over the Settle/Carlisle line using a Hastings line DEMU please."

"Ok, just mind the gap at Dent"

38551819064_1e030c3a18_w.jpg

1032 Dent 120486 img179-0386E-a by Tony Woof, on Flickr

The greatest Railtour ever "The Long Thin Drag" . Spent it travelling in "power twin" of 1001's motor coaches and am just about to spill out trackside at Dent with dozens of others ................................. "Ermmm, has anybody else noticed the signals are off in the opposite direction" !!

Seem to remember the appearance of a 45 & 5 Mk1's a few minutes later (with no resulting casualties) 👍