Prototype for everything corner.

52 minutes ago, 45125 said:

Normal mgr wheel sets are 42" (1.022M) most three hole wheel sets are around 36" (.952M). 

Exactly, which adds even more confusion as it's running presumably on a smaller wheel?

On 29/03/2024 at 01:57, railsquid said:

If you are modelling Deutsche Bundesbahn in the 1950s but are short of German coaching stock, feel free to drop in a Mk1 BCK behind the Danish coach: 100261.jpg

The consensus here (German) is that it is indeed a Mk1, but no conclusion has been reached as to the how and why.

Well, the Mk1 did breed and by 1971:

Werbe-Zug der British Railways zu Gast in München 1971

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, U36B said:

Well, the Mk1 did breed and by 1971:

Fascinating, looks like an exhibition train. Mk2b(?) M3168, Mk1 DW150353.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Fascinating, looks like an exhibition train. Mk2b(?) M3168, Mk1 DW150353.

Mk2c FO

Mk2b only had FK (13xxx number)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

7 hours ago, rodent279 said:

looks like an exhibition train

The flickr caption says 

Or “Advertising train of BR as a guest in Munich 1971”

There are more in that collection of the same train, e.g. “Come and see Britain by Rail” on DB975074 and DB975073:

and cinema coach DW150353

I wish the flickr captions would get displayed here - save a to of to-ing and fro-ing

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Would be interesting to know why DW150353 ( http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1108 ) was given a DW rather than DB number !!?!

It's probably just because it was a Western Region vehicle. It was converted from W1012 at Swindon in 1963. This is long before the the other exhibition coaches were converted, which I think was done shortly before their European holiday.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

It's probably just because it was a Western Region vehicle. It was converted from W1012 at Swindon in 1963. This is long before the the other exhibition coaches were converted, which I think was done shortly before their European holiday.

Actually not quite as simple as that : re-reading Platform  5's 'Departmental Coaching Stock, I see that "The DB97xxxx series was first used at the end of 1966 ..." ...... so everything must have gained a regional 'D' prefix before then - but I guess there were few BR standard vehicles departmentalised that early ! ( Though from an early Lot of Mk1s, W1012 was only about a dozen years old when converted.)

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Chequerbent 1965 by Nigel

106 48324 and Athertonex wigan Gas en route to Atlas Forge at Chequerbent

The poor little fella’s legs must have had to go like the clappers to keep up.

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

Spanning the decades at Rotherham today: 1960s loco (City of Truro, named after a 1900s loco), towing a late-1970s loco (rebuilt in the 2020s), being passed by a 2000s DMU. 
Bonus points for a circus-related pun for the big top in the old football ground car park!

IMG_7316.jpeg.3634e37c6a7abcfaa254f0bcbde3ffd2.jpeg

(47749 City of Truro + 69008 running from Leicester-Doncaster, 170473 on a Sheffield-Scarborough)

Edited by eastwestdivide
Numbers
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

It's the future: net zero railtours. A load of colourful diesels on the front doing nothing more than provide highly-amplified DCC sound effects, and an electric loco subtly pushing from the back.

I thought they were using a pack of rechargable AA cells to provide the traction current😄