Susmotor Lima Remotoring

James90012

Those Susmotors look similar to these

http://www.diesel-trains.co.uk/Lima_replacement_motor_kits.html

Which I will be using to remotor some Lima diesels

I did a remotor of a Lima class 08 and it works well on a 3.7V battery drawing about 110mA while pulling about 12 wagons

Notice the diesel trains ones have a pre glued mounting plate

I'll be using 4 x AAA batteries in my conversion, so it seems that will be more than enough. As long as I can squeeze them in. It will be tight fit to get them in the length available under the floor between the bogies on my GWR Railcar, but I think it can be done.

With the CD motors I just put a plastic plate across the Lima motor mounting screws with a hole to take the dimple on the back of the motor to hold the motor in place.  Some of them have packing where the old magnet went but most have not as they seem to stay in place without.  I use scalextric pinions on the motor shaft and some have been running for 10 years or so.

Edited by DavidCBroad

I put a Susumotor in a Lima King back at Easter. I just superglued it into place on the basis that it's likely to last longer than I do. If it ever gives problems my experience of superglue suggests that I should be able to break it free with a little judicious force.

Rather than trial and error the location as suggested in the instructions I turned up a brass bush to adapt the Lima outer bearing to the Susu shaft. At least one online article suggested brass tube from the K&S rack at the model shop.

I haven't run the beastie on the track yet but a thumb on a driving wheel dyno test indicates plenty of grunt. Certainly enough that haulage is likely to be limited by adhesion rather than motor power.

Haulage won't be a problem for my railcar, even with most of the weight removed to fit the batteries. As long as it can move itself I'll be happy!

It looks as though there are some alternatives to the instructions, so I'll investigate when I start on it. I was a bit concerned with gluing it in place with no way to adjust the meshing.

Haulage won't be a problem for my railcar, even with most of the weight removed to fit the batteries. As long as it can move itself I'll be happy!

It looks as though there are some alternatives to the instructions, so I'll investigate when I start on it. I was a bit concerned with gluing it in place with no way to adjust the meshing.

I use Scalextric pinions from the common can motor 70s- 2000s cars  Using the standard size I have never had to adjust the mesh. Just make sure it is central ish in the Lima motor housing.  If I do have issues I will source larger or smaller Scalextric  pinions which are available on line.  If the gears do not mesh with the motor centralised it makes the motor mounting much more difficult, and I do treat motors and gears as consumables to be quickly and easily replaced though I have not worn anything except Lima idler gears out yet. 

There are 2/3 AA batteries ( same dia as AA but 66% the length) available in NiMh 4 of ehich which may well fit in a railcar between the bogies.

if 4 X AAA wont.

This is my only Lima model, so I won't need any more (I hope!). I doubt if it will be run enough to wear anything out.

AA batteries are too big to fit in the vertical space available, but it's useful to know about the ⅔ size. I think I'll try two AAAs to start with. It won't be running very far in each operating session, so battery life isn't a big issue. If the motor will run fast enough on 3.3v, I can step the voltage up to that to power everything, rather than possibly have a range of voltages. I'll get on with building it as soon as I can, and test it before finally installing the batteries and electronics.

I use Scalextric pinions from the common can motor 70s- 2000s cars  Using the standard size I have never had to adjust the mesh. Just make sure it is central ish in the Lima motor housing.  If I do have issues I will source larger or smaller Scalextric  pinions which are available on line. ....

How many teeth does the Scalextric pinion have?

• RMweb Gold

I have to say I'm impressed so far. I discovered the idea of using a CD motor, and from there the Susumotors, on Tuesday, and a Susumotor arrived from Finland today. That's faster than a lot of stuff arrives from within the UK! Anyway, it looks as though my Lima GWR Railcar will now be my first attempt at radio control.

The instructions suggest using a "quick super-glue", or "Loctite-type quick glue", but I wondered what other people have found works best. Gluing the motor in place seems a bit drastic to someone who's used to making things removable!

I fixed my new motor into a Lima western bogie using superglue and had to remove and re-fix it a few times as I adjusted things, but it wasn't a problem. I think I just levered it out with a screwdriver, breaking the superglue bond, cleaned it up a bit and then re-fixed it.

I also gave my Lima gears a good clean-up using fine sandpaper and a dip in an Ultrasound bath before reinstalling. The result is pretty close to silent running and the performance of the new motor is great.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like I might have had a suspect susmotor (sic) then. The performance of the one I fitted (from Finnish Supplier via eBay), was absolutely pants. :(

I got mine from the Finnish guy. I ordered two but I've only tested one of them.

I have some original brass gears which are 8 tooth, I think they came in a 9 tooth flavour aswell

Bought some of these recently, they have moulded on guide ring which you have to cut off but at 99p for 30 is a bargain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V12003-30Pcs-0-5-Modulus-8-Teeth-Plastic-Gear-Cog-for-2mm-Toy-Car-Motor-Shaft/282336554755

Have you thought of using phone or camera/camcorder batteries as they are more compact, but obviously require a proper charger rigging up.

I'm trying to do this a step at a time. First get the electronics and radio control working, but using a simple battery setup. Then on the next loco, that I plan to be a Mainline 56xx, I'll try a Lipo battery and onboard charging.

I have remotored a Lima class 26 with a diesel-trains remotoring kit. The motor looks the same as the Susmotor one to my eyes. 

The good news is if you use one of these motors you should expect much improved low speed performance and impressive endurance.

I used a 4 x AAA NiMh battery pack with 700mAh Energiser batteries and the loco pulling 6 Hornby RR MK1 coaches as at least scale 50mph. After 5 sessions each of an hour duration the loco was still going strong with  spare battery capacity. I then stopped the test because I found one of the batteries was 500mAh - Oops!, and did not want any over discharge problems. I calculate that I should get over 6 hours of use using my 'normal' 850mAh Duracells. The motor is drawing less than 150mA and never even felt warm so is not working hard.

Impressive!.

I'm trying to do this a step at a time. First get the electronics and radio control working, but using a simple battery setup. Then on the next loco, that I plan to be a Mainline 56xx, I'll try a Lipo battery and onboard charging.

If you are doing a number of conversions consider using a test vehicle or vehicles. I use a Dapol coach but you could use 2 open wagons, oen for the receiver and one for the battery. You can then test if everything works before the final modifications to the loco.

Thanks Dave. I think that reinforces my idea of using 2 x AAA for my railcar. It won't be pulling anything, and will just shuttle back and forth occasionally on a 6ft long layout, to interrupt shunting movements. I doubt if the real thing could have got up to anywhere near 50mph in the distance!

If you are doing a number of conversions consider using a test vehicle or vehicles. I use a Dapol coach but you could use 2 open wagons, oen for the receiver and one for the battery. You can then test if everything works before the final modifications to the loco.

I've got the basic system set up on a breadboard at the moment. Once the new motor is installed, I'll put the the railcar on my rolling road, and connect it. With long wires I could run it on my 3ft test track too. Once I'm happy with that, I can add and test any other bits, then start to assemble and install parts as they're ready.

If the nominal 2.4V from two AAA batteries is insufficient Pololu do two voltage regulators that give 3.3V and 5.5V output from inputs as low as 0.5V

All the electronics is 3.3v, so I'll have to step it up. I'm buying cheap Chinese stuff, as Pololu is expensive. I've just bought a couple of Pololu motor driver boards, having donated an arm and leg to Hobbytronics, as I couldn't get the cheap Chinese ones to work, but I hope that's an exception, or I won't have any limbs left :).

9 seems to be the standard "In line" pinion which I use taken from dead scalextric can motors in my scalextric parts box.  8 to 12 teeth pinions are available and you can buy packs one of each 8/9/10/11/12 teeth pinion on Ebay or from model shops.

The "Sidewinder" motor pinions which are spur gear pairs rather than crown wheel and pinion do not mesh with Lima.

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Those Susmotors look similar to these

http://www.diesel-trains.co.uk/Lima_replacement_motor_kits.html

Which I will be using to remotor some Lima diesels

I did a remotor of a Lima class 08 and it works well on a 3.7V battery drawing about 110mA while pulling about 12 wagons

Notice the diesel trains ones have a pre glued mounting plate

Has anyone experienced using these replacements from Diesel-Trains? They look straightforward and I’m tempted to have a try. It would be to fit a Lima 31 on a decent sized layout so would need to haul 5/6 Bachmann mk1’s. Also it’s a DCC layout so I presume I would need to hardwired the decoder - again anyone used them on DCC?

Has anyone experienced using these replacements from Diesel-Trains? They look straightforward and I’m tempted to have a try. It would be to fit a Lima 31 on a decent sized layout so would need to haul 5/6 Bachmann mk1’s. Also it’s a DCC layout so I presume I would need to hardwired the decoder - again anyone used them on DCC?

Used a few, mainly on 09 shunters to get decent slow speed running. Easy to fit and supplied with the correct pinion gear. Don't do DCC but run realy well on analogue feedback or non feedback controllers.

Dscf4233_640.jpg

Dscn0172_640.jpg

• Like 2

Used a few, mainly on 09 shunters to get decent slow speed running. Easy to fit and supplied with the correct pinion gear. Don't do DCC but run realy well on analogue feedback or non feedback controllers.

Dscf4233_640.jpg

Dscn0172_640.jpg

As you've been playing with Lima 09s, I don't suppose you'd know the size of the crank retaining nuts? I bought a cheap one a while ago, and one of the non-Lima faults with it is that it's missing a couple.

As you've been playing with Lima 09s, I don't suppose you'd know the size of the crank retaining nuts? I bought a cheap one a while ago, and one of the non-Lima faults with it is that it's missing a couple.

M1.5

• 2 weeks later...

My converted Lima Class 47 hauls 12 Hornby Railroad Mk 1's with ease at over scale  60mph on 9v PWM DC, smooth as well. DCC should work as the motors are brushed but will need hard wiring.

Don't forget to fettle the gears

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=servicing+a+lima+diesel+loco&qpvt=servicing+a+lima+diesel+loco&view=detail&mid=4D20ACD6E32F295868464D20ACD6E32F29586846&FORM=VRDGAR