LMS 10000 / BR 10001 in black livery - Rails Sheffield

Andy Y

I have my Silver Fox model of Bulleid 10203, which with the Kernow delay, was worthwhile changing the original Lima pancake motor.

That was my thinking and when I had to chance to acquire a "returned" Bachmann Class 45, I took it. The Lima chassis was relatively easy to shorten having the motor at one end but the Bachmann is entirely a different proposition. The central motor causes all the trouble, it was be removed and the chassis cut under where it is mounted. Then a suitable piece taken out to reduce the overall length. Then the fun starts, the cut end must have what's left of the motor mounting ground out to take that end of the motor. Then the two pieces of the chassis can be glued together and adjustments made so the motor drops into place. Then shorten the prop-shaft at that end, devise a method of fixing the body and you're done.

http://vid1322.photobucket.com/albums/u580/MeophamEast/Videos/P1030280_zps3nzbgpiq.mp4

• 3 weeks later...

Well the sooner they start contacting people the better please...

wibble :no2:

Here is the text of the email I received effectively cancelling my pre-order for one of each black small early crest. Very disappointed!

I am writing to you with regards to the below pre order:

WEB-115032-36016-114896

25/02/2014 20:47:56

Postage type: Parcel Force Courier Service

Order Detail: 31-999X x1 @ £109.99 Total £109.99 -- (Forthcoming Release)

Order Detail: 31-999Z x1 @ £109.99 Total £109.99 -- (Forthcoming Release)

Goods Total: £219.98

Shipping Total: £7.50

Order Total: £227.48

Chargable Total: £227.48

We have been informed by Bachmann that unfortunately they may not be producing these any time in the near future, therefore we have had to cancel your pre order. We do know, however, that they are definitely producing the below items (you will see that the codes have altered on these):

31-999Y twin box set £269.99

31-999Z 10000 in LMS black with chrome fittings £119.99

31-999X 10001 in BR black with chrome trimmings and no emblem £119.99

We are able to offer these at the above prices, if you were to look online you would see that they are now at a higher price. At the moment there is no confirmed delivery date for these but the latest information we have is hopefully around August/September time as they are in current production.

If you would like to switch your order to either of these please let me know and I will arrange this straight away for you.

If at any point in the future these are to be produce they will have brand new product codes and prices.

Please accept my deepest apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards

Heather

I, too, received one of these as I wanted one of the pair as it was when running on the SR.

I agree it is disappointing but I can also sympathise with Rails having to do this when the circumstances are entirely outside of their control. On the balance, I think they are doing the right thing by us, unpleasant as it is.

A week or two prior to receiving the email, and being aware that the early BR versions looked unlikely, I had already ordered the LMS versions to ensure that I didn't miss out.

When I received the email I contacted Heather and she quickly applied the £119.99 price as offered to those who had the cancelled versions on order.

As has been said, not their fault and they seem to be doing the best they can, so 'well done' to Rails

I managed to get a second-hand large early emblem Dapol D10001 a couple of weeks ago, so my cancelled order for the Rails one doesn't concern me any more. However, it does make all that "we are not changing our plans" bluster on the Rails website when the duplication with Hattons emerged look rather foolish. It's noticeable that the "prototype grab" has now ceased, sadly before anyone announced an RTR GT3 or the Fell diesel. Looks like they're a bit far out even for Heljan.

I managed to get a second-hand large early emblem Dapol D10001 a couple of weeks ago, so my cancelled order for the Rails one doesn't concern me any more. However, it does make all that "we are not changing our plans" bluster on the Rails website when the duplication with Hattons emerged look rather foolish. It's noticeable that the "prototype grab" has now ceased, sadly before anyone announced an RTR GT3 or the Fell diesel. Looks like they're a bit far out even for Heljan.

I quite fancy doing a GT3 to be honest!

I quite fancy doing a GT3 to be honest!

You must be a glutton for punishment!

I can see it now- you promised us a GT3 last week and it's not here!

Vapourware , vapourware!

It's overpriced!

This minute detail is missing/wrong!

Nothing for me here.

Why didn't you do the Fell?

Apologies if I've missed out any of the other usual statements of negativity.

Tongue firmly in cheek

Nik

I got the Dapol Black 10001 with the original Large Lion Emblem and silver numbers (hoping no one on the SR would notice.)

And was looking forwards to getting the 10000 version with small Lion..

It does need its mate, but that now looks like it is not going to happen

The news is not good - Does anyone need a black 10001 ..???

(anyway I have begun modelling to 'O' gauge (WR)

Guest spet0114

Am I right in thinking that the twin-pack and both the individual locos currently being offered by Rails depict their respective prototypes after they received the modifications in late 1948?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest spet0114

Gave in to temptation and ordered no. 10000. Having missed out on the Dapol one a few years ago, this will hopefully be as good, if not better! :)

Gave in to temptation and ordered no. 10000. Having missed out on the Dapol one a few years ago, this will hopefully be as good, if not better! :)

It's only my own opinion but the Dapol model did not have particularly well modelled bogies, which was very noticeable because of the aluminium paint of the original colour scheme. Looking carefully at the black bogies of the green Bachmann models, I think they will look much better in aluminium than the Dapol ones.

The black versions belong to a period before folding disc headcodes, so it's not possible to hide headcode lights with them. Bachmann has had the rather nice idea of providing a switch to set the headcode to express passenger or express freight. It's rather a shame that there's no switch for the tail lights, though. The Dapol cab lights are directionally controlled, which makes them a lot more realistic. Nevertheless, all in all, I'd say that missing out on the Dapol model was a stroke of luck for you.

• RMweb Gold

It's only my own opinion but the Dapol model did not have particularly well modelled bogies, which was very noticeable because of the aluminium paint of the original colour scheme. Looking carefully at the black bogies of the green Bachmann models, I think they will look much better in aluminium than the Dapol ones.

The black versions belong to a period before folding disc headcodes, so it's not possible to hide headcode lights with them. Bachmann has had the rather nice idea of providing a switch to set the headcode to express passenger or express freight. It's rather a shame that there's no switch for the tail lights, though. The Dapol cab lights are directionally controlled, which makes them a lot more realistic. Nevertheless, all in all, I'd say that missing out on the Dapol model was a stroke of luck for you.

And I think the Dapol model ran too high off its bogies. If seriously pining for black versions.,there are FIA Trains versions still out there.....pure cream....

• 2 weeks later...

Rails have been telephoning round pre-orders, checking credit cards ,addresses etc , e .mails  being sent to confirm , date for  expected delivery of August 2015, Price maybe going up for non pre orders as £134.99 is listed

Rails contacted me asking if I wanted to confirm my pre-order for 10001. The price has risen by £25 since I ordered it but I am only being charged an extra £10 which, I think, is quite reasonable. I had been dithering about getting 10000 as well and, when I added one to my order, I was given it at the same price. I must say that it was a pleasant and delightful surprise.

• 1 month later...

I called Rails yesterday (Wednesday 27th July) to confirm my pre order for the "twin-set" and was told they are expecting them on or about the 20th August.

These have been a long time coming. Most people who responded to the late Dick Flowers' original invitation to show "Expressions of interest" will know of his sad passing and how this impacted on the project. I suspect that many therefore will have shown greater patience during this models difficult gestation. I certainly remember the "chats" I had with Dick Flowers on Pat Hammond's old MREmag. Even how we kind of got off on the wrong foot when, in his words, he was a little oversensitive about something I wrote. That was sorted out in a friendly manner. When he announced Rails' intentions regarding the "Twins" I had a nice chat with him about them and ended up ordering five of the original twelve options. 

(Five models of two locos? That's Ok. I know of someone who's "collection" mostly features locos numbered either 4472 or 60103)

I received my two green version back when, so I know what to expect of the black ones

With the black twins now on their way i can't help but reflect that I wondered how the Rails/Bachmann model would compare with the Hattons/Dapol one and how the (originally) Kernow/Dapol 10201/2/3 models might sit with either.

The Kernow/DJM Southern Triplets will still be a thing to behold but it's probably a bit of a shame for some that the Black Early Crest Triplets won't have their LMS cousins for company in a contempory guise. There is, I guess, the option of adding the decal and extra lamp irons to the plain liveried 10001 and ignore any of the other minor details that in all honesty we were probably unaware of until now. 

None of these things are essential to me and all are in the "nice to have" column. Particularly as I'm currently involve in the building of a layout based on the Met mainline in the Northwood area, started a few months before Bachmann.s S Stock announcement. I'm not sure how I justify these things but I'm less sure why I need to. 

Not  to worry

Thanks Bachmann,

Cheers Dick

RP

Take it easy, take it easy

Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy

Lighten up while you still can

Don't even try to understand

Just find a place to make your stand and Take it Easy

I suppose it goes back to boyhood and looking at pictures of the pair but I think that these are the most handsome British diesels ever made.

I also intend to have five models of these two locos, thus shattering my Rule 2 (don't have more than one model of any particular loco). The Hatton/Dapol model has many shortcomings but it runs nicely and has presence, due, I think, to weight and smooth mechanism. In an early attempt to adhere to Rule 2 yet satisfy my curiosity as to the respective merits of the two manufacturers, I thought of only getting a Dapol 10000 and a Bachy 10001.

That left the potential problem of how they would run together, prompting a third model. The Dapol model quenched any desire to get another. Impatience led to two green Bachy models and only increased my desire for the black versions. So, five.

Rules are made to be broken - except for Rule 1.

Archived