LMS 10000 / BR 10001 in black livery - Rails Sheffield

Andy Y

I was under the impression that the 10000 version was to be supplied as near as practicable in 'as built' condition but I see the multiple working sockets are in place with no 'as built' blanking plate (this may explain the Royal Scot headboards!)

I would have expected the NEM blanking plate (if that's what it is) to have been in chrome - it looks a bit odd in black !

Finally, I wasn't expecting but note others have a limited edition certificate - mine came without, just the standard page of maintenance / spares information plus a Collectors Club flyer.

I can't run it as I have no layout built (though I have a DCC Dixitrax Zephyr controller, plus lots of track work and points ready to go) but I have to say it looks stunning. The only minor quibble being the raised numbers & lettering seem to have ever so slightly rounded edges - the original seemed to be of sharp edges.

Pictures of both twins in the black livery show the centre of the bogies head on have a black bang plate looking device on them, so the nem blanking plate is correct in that regard. I'm confused by the roof grills, are they not centre or are they raised slightly?

I'm slightly disappointed that they changed the original plans for 10000 in LMS livery i would have preferred her in as built condition, especially as both FIA Trains and Dapol did her like this.

So are the Southern Region versions cancelled? Because they did appear on the website yesterday but we haven't heard a thing about them in a long time

I've had my boxset on order since day one, now I'm waiting for Rails to calculate postage cost to Australia... probably won't be cheap but well worth it.

Rails are not currently planning to release any of the other variants originally promised, the Hattons/Dapol one must have taken some of the prospective sales.

Whether this changes in the future remains to be seen but I certainly wouldn't count on it. My ordered early BR versions have been changed for the LMS ones now being released, and I'm planning to carry out the necessary changes so that they will represent their early BR appearance.

• RMweb Premium

Rails are not currently planning to release any of the other variants originally promised, the Hattons/Dapol one must have taken some of the prospective sales.

Whether this changes in the future remains to be seen but I certainly wouldn't count on it. My ordered early BR versions have been changed for the LMS ones now being released, and I'm planning to carry out the necessary changes so that they will represent their early BR appearance.

I'd be interested to know what the necessary changes are.

• RMweb Premium

My 10001 finally reached me in France today.  Wonderful model, as far as I can tell - testing it will have to wait until I get back to England.   My modelling period is 57-60, so I can't really run any black and silver version, but I had to have one for sentimental reasons.  I spent the first five years of my life living in Conway Gardens, Kenton, which ends in a footbridge over the WCML, and one of my earliest memories is seeing the twins roar by with my late Dad.

So I'll probably leave one side as it is for display, and add a small crest to the other for freight work around my prospective North London layout, assuming (thanks to Rule 1) that this livery lasted a couple years more than it did.  

Is anyone still waiting for their order by any chance? Has any fellow modellers in Australia received theirs yet? I was told earlier in the week that they were still calculating the shipping price to Australia for the box set and I've heard nothing since. Probably easier to order them separately, probably cheaper on postage too

I was under the impression that the 10000 version was to be supplied as near as practicable in 'as built' condition but I see the multiple working sockets are in place with no 'as built' blanking plate (this may explain the Royal Scot headboards!)

I would have expected the NEM blanking plate (if that's what it is) to have been in chrome - it looks a bit odd in black !

Finally, I wasn't expecting but note others have a limited edition certificate - mine came without, just the standard page of maintenance / spares information plus a Collectors Club flyer.

I can't run it as I have no layout built (though I have a DCC Dixitrax Zephyr controller, plus lots of track work and points ready to go) but I have to say it looks stunning. The only minor quibble being the raised numbers & lettering seem to have ever so slightly rounded edges - the original seemed to be of sharp edges.

I think it is only the wooden twin boxed set that is a limited edition. The single locos are a normal production run, so you only get a certificate with the box set.

Today, I was about to order one each of the Bachmann black and silver LMS twins 10000/ 10001 in the standard packaging from Rails of Sheffield and decided to run my 32-996 green 10000 whilst I was doing the order. Then I noticed that when running it in any direction both cabs are lit even when the tail lamp switch is off.

There does not seem to be a middle setting of the switches on the underside that will switch the cab lights off. Can anyone who has bought the new black loco.s please comment on this. I am not worried if the head and tail lights are off as well.

If I buy the black loco's from Rails I would want the cab lights to be off without having to dismantle them to cut wires because it wil invalidate the warranty. I do not intend to mutilate new stock costing nearly 300 Pounds.

• RMweb Gold

Today, I was about to order one each of the Bachmann black and silver LMS twins 10000/ 10001 in the standard packaging from Rails of Sheffield and decided to run my 32-996 green 10000 whilst I was doing the order. Then I noticed that when running it in any direction both cabs are lit even when the tail lamp switch is off.

There does not seem to be a middle setting of the switches on the underside that will switch the cab lights off. Can anyone who has bought the new black loco.s please comment on this. I am not worried if the head and tail lights are off as well.

If I buy the black loco's from Rails I would want the cab lights to be off without having to dismantle them to cut wires because it wil invalidate the warranty. I do not intend to mutilate new stock costing nearly 300 Pounds.

You don't have to cut anything. Sprung pick-ups in the body draw current from contacts on the chassis.

I've disabled the cab lights on my green 10000 just by putting Sellotape over the appropriate chassis contacts - it's simple enough to identify what does what.

Everything else still works and if I ever flog it on, I'll just need to remove the tape.

John

I have one of the new Bachmann black 10001 locos with an intention to run it on my club's Southern Region layout (I am aware that 10001 is modelled in the condition it was in prior to transferring to the Southern - but I can live with that).

However, I am planning to add a small 'early' crest on each side but have been trying to establish which way the 'lion' was facing on each side as on steam locos the early crests always faced the towards the loco front. I have tracked down a few pictures of 10001 on the SR but the only ones where you can clearly see the crest all appear to be showing the same side of the loco (i.e. the side with the large radiator grill at the left hand end). 

All these pictures show that the lion in the small early crest was facing left (towards the large grill end of the loco).

I have not been able to find a clear picture showing the crest on the other side of the loco so am not sure whether the lion on that side towards the faced left or right end!

I have amassed all manner of info on the Bulleid diesels on the SR over the years and this shows that all 3 locos had left facing small early crests on both sides - so it would seem to be relatively safe to assume that 10001 was the same - especially as the small crests were applied by the Southern, replacing the larger ones that had been applied by the LMR.

Decent pictures of the LMS twins on the SR are relatively rare in comparison with photos of them when initially introduced on the LMR or when they subsequently returned to the LMR and turned green - does anybody have any info as to whether the twins carried left facing crests on both sides during their time on the SR.

Bob H

• RMweb Gold

I have one of the new Bachmann black 10001 locos with an intention to run it on my club's Southern Region layout (I am aware that 10001 is modelled in the condition it was in prior to transferring to the Southern - but I can live with that).

However, I am planning to add a small 'early' crest on each side but have been trying to establish which way the 'lion' was facing on each side as on steam locos the early crests always faced the towards the loco front. I have tracked down a few pictures of 10001 on the SR but the only ones where you can clearly see the crest all appear to be showing the same side of the loco (i.e. the side with the large radiator grill at the left hand end). 

All these pictures show that the lion in the small early crest was facing left (towards the large grill end of the loco).

I have not been able to find a clear picture showing the crest on the other side of the loco so am not sure whether the lion on that side towards the faced left or right end!

I have amassed all manner of info on the Bulleid diesels on the SR over the years and this shows that all 3 locos had left facing small early crests on both sides - so it would seem to be relatively safe to assume that 10001 was the same - especially as the small crests were applied by the Southern, replacing the larger ones that had been applied by the LMR.

Decent pictures of the LMS twins on the SR are relatively rare in comparison with photos of them when initially introduced on the LMR or when they subsequently returned to the LMR and turned green - does anybody have any info as to whether the twins carried left facing crests on both sides during their time on the SR.

Bob H

In diesel practice, the end with the large grills protecting the radiators (the cooler group in modern parlance) is the No.1 end and this was often treated as the "front".

Therefore both lions should logically face that end (I can't find any clear photos of the other side either).  

Another good clue should be the way the larger ones faced before the smaller version was applied but, as you say, the SR "broke the rule" on their own diesels so could well have done so on the LMR twins, too 

Hope this helps (but it probably doesn't). :triniti:

John

You don't have to cut anything. Sprung pick-ups in the body draw current from contacts on the chassis.

I've disabled the cab lights on my green 10000 just by putting Sellotape over the appropriate chassis contacts - it's simple enough to identify what does what.

Everything else still works and if I ever flog it on, I'll just need to remove the tape.

John

Thank You - problem solved

Bob H

from another post...

post-13188-0-95061000-1441466995.jpg

Archived