Lima mk3 dismantling.

They were so unforgiving to prepare for repainting they were one of the reasons I wound down my eighties-based modelling about 15 years ago and flogged eveything like this that I had on the allocation.

• RMweb Premium

You have to be really brutal with it!

They do give or break but there is no way of knowing until you try.

Apart from the twist, there's a little bit of bending also required....

Lima Mk2's also need the same treatment

Cheers,

Mick

Forgot about that bit, I hate taking these apart and am surprised that I havent broken any yet, the amount of force needed is ridiculous.

It can only be a matter of time before they start breaking though because they should become more brittle as the plastic ages which isnt going to help.

Be very careful with the Hornby ex Lima coaches though, as they really are a right pain in the @*se. The Sleeper isn't too bad if you've got experience with opening up the ex Lima coaches before, but the TGS is an absolute nightmare and because of the brittleness of the one piece plastic is very easy to crack.

As for the opening up of the Lima and Ex Lima coaches, when you can prize the bodysides away very gently I use my staff pass and old bank card to gently slide along between the roof / windows and the body of the coach, that way I find the roof moulding comes away easier from the body of the Mk3.

Archived