Clearance sale: Hornby visitor centre

sjp23480

• RMweb Premium

I took my son and friend there last saturday. Bit of a trek from Bognor Regis but made sure the journey (ie via Javelin etc) was part of the day out. Shop is well stocked but largely RRP so not for bargain hunters. However we struck lucky with the xmas factory sale with some really good buys. Mainly trainsets, but my sons friend came away with his first train set (Digital with two engines). The centre itself is interesting but probably marginal if your only interest is Railways and have a long journey, as a significant part of the display is Slot cars and airfix.

• 1 month later...

I've just tried to order four Gresley Vestibuled Full Brake's (they were £25.99 each). When I checked afterwards, they appeared to be sold out, so will be interesting whether I was able to purchase them all.

Hornby is now doing a clearance sale on line. Huge discounts on high quality items like Maunsell and Gresley coaches. It looks like Hornby need to raise a lot of capital quickly.

Stock clearance is a normal part of any business, it doesn't necessarily smack of anything sinister........

Indeed, normal retail...

I just wrote this elsewhere,

The prices broadly match that which box-shifters have already done.  It appears to be a simple addition to Hornby's direct-sales strategy, with items which all sellers find hard-to-shift.

Coronach would have been good value, but A3 buyers are a mysterious type, requiring not just something close to 'their' particular engine but 'as it was between May and September 1959'..  (I'm probably being a bit harsh...)  The red-cream Stanier brake 3rd is quite cheap at £24 but not much to run it with...

Also box shifters have had Maunsells, and Hawksworths for around £21 for a long time now.

Posted in the "Where are the Hornby Models thread on 03 December 2013 - 10:54

Do I get the feeling there'll be a Fire Sale of remaining Hornby stock in the not too distant future?

There have been other signs that they either intend to clear out unsold stock, or need to boost their cash-flow rather quickly.

Hopefully it's a much needed clearance and tidying up exercise.

I paid £115 for Coronach about three months ago.

More recently I paid £83 for Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. Scots Guardsman is only £75.

I nearly paid a LOT more for this weathered Coronach!

but I bought St Gatien instead, and I think I paid well over a hundred for a pristine Coronach a while ago, here is a nice pic of the weathered model I didn't buy. For what it's worth it, was £159.95.

post-7929-0-94108800-1387838848.jpg

I nearly paid a LOT more for this weathered Coronach!

but I bought St Gatien instead, and I think I paid well over a hundred for a pristine Coronach a while ago, here is a nice pic of the weathered model I didn't buy. For what it's worth it, was £159.95.

attachicon.gif$_58_coronach_r800abcd.jpg

As one of the Canal quartet, for Waverley route use, Coronach is up there among the finest money can buy.

Woke up this morning and thought what have I done?  Bought a B1 on Hornby's web site.  Another package that'll be delivered after Christmas? I'll be killed! But then I thought well, £74.99 isn't a bad price at all, especially as I could use a voucher I had for a further discount...   and for a well detailed model (pre design clever)  of a loco that ran all over the place so very useful for layout.

Sorry to say that for all that's been written about price vs quality in the end I just couldn't resist a bargain!  :-)

Christmas greetings to all, especially Andy and his team on RMweb.

All the best for 2014,

Bill

• RMweb Gold

The web site sale is (or should that be was) I suspect instead of flogging the stuff off cheaply through Modelzone as they have done in previous years.

Sure as heck definitely a lot more pricey in Modelzone in WHS in Reading today - Hawksworths on the shelf at £39.99 there!  Looks like Hornby might well have lost out on the pricing flexibility (for reductions) that they had with the old Modelzone set-up.

As one of the Canal quartet, for Waverley route use, Coronach is up there among the finest money can buy.

These were the most heroic unloved A3s ever, I wish I had bought the weathered one in the pic now, but I do have a pristine one....   maybe do something with a picture someday soon.   And especially in double-chimney A4 boiler form, with experienced Doncaster valve-setting, a bet she could have gone as well as any A4!

Hats off to Hornby. My four BG Gresleys arrived this morning via courier. 

Excellent service.

Hi

Glad you've received your model. I ordered the class 67 on the day before you. I got a confirmation e-mail but as of the 31/12 I still haven't received the model. I've e-mailed Hornby asking if the model has been posted yet, but I haven't received a reply yet. I'm hoping that it's all down to the Christmas holiday post, hopefully.

Regards

Stephen

This one was not one of those reduced by Hornby to about 80 pounds from memory and appeared to sell out instantly (I wonder how many they sold?) ..  but was sold by Hattons two weeks ago s/h weathered DCC-fitted for a fraction over 100 pounds... 

Carlisle Canal may not have looked like this exactly, but ready to take 12-total on to Edinburgh 60093 would have been up to the task. 

post-7929-0-87130600-1388548573_thumb.jpg

Hi

Glad you've received your model. I ordered the class 67 on the day before you. I got a confirmation e-mail but as of the 31/12 I still haven't received the model. I've e-mailed Hornby asking if the model has been posted yet, but I haven't received a reply yet. I'm hoping that it's all down to the Christmas holiday post, hopefully.

Regards

Stephen

Same here, waiting for order to arrive. Also e-mailed Hornby.  Hoping for reply when holidays over.  Probably time of year.

Just a word of caution on these Hornby 'clearance' items - some of them are obviously Modelzone 'shop soiled' items and unfortunately I am going to have to return some items from my two orders due to unacceptable condition. There isn't much left in their sale now so this caution may come a bit late for some, but it would be interesting if others have had a similar experience......

First a positive though, I placed two orders with Hornby very late on the 23rd and on the 24th I had an email from UKMail saying that my parcel would be delivered on the 27th between two times, and sure enough it was. Good service over the Christmas period. The second order was not quite so straightforward though as one of the items, although 'in stock', was holding the rest of the order from being despatched. I only found this out by calling them on Monday the 30th as, as usual, their website gives absolutely no information on the progress of your order. However, I was told the available items would be despatched that day and arrive the next day, the 31st, and sure enough they did - again, good service. All fine so far, apart from the lack of info when you log in to your account.

Between my orders I had a couple of locos, vans, and a selection of Maunsell coaches. In both parcels, the Maunsell coaches were in boxes that were all covered in a layer of thick dust or other filth - I'm talking really dirty, not just a thin layer of shop dust. The boxes had come apart at the seams and the ends with the labels were severely faded, likely due to UV damage. All of these boxes had evidence of price labels attached and at least one is so knocked about it must be more than just 'shelf wear'  - it almost looks second hand. Thankfully, about half of these coaches are in perfect condition, and once I had cleaned the boxes and glued them back together, apart from the fading of the end labels, are otherwise good enough for me to accept. There is certainly no evidence of fading or UV damage on the models themselves anyway.

Unfortunately though, on at least three examples, not only are the boxes in a very poor condition, but the models themselves show evidence of handling damage too so I will be returning these items.

Overall this has left me very disappointed with Hornby as an online retailer. I think they should have at very least listed them as shop soiled and classified the condition of the boxes and the models as appropriate - after all, this is the least I would expect from an eBay purchase. I will be letting Hornby know my thoughts on this during the returns process and I doubt I will be rushing to buy any more items from them directly in the near future. If they want to develop their direct sales from the website they are going to have to buck up their ideas in terms of information on the progress of an order from the point of taking the money through to despatch etc. If I was to compare the likes of e.g. Hattons or KMRC to ordering direct from Hornby, well, there is no comparison at all. Most other companies I use for mail order (model rail related or otherwise) just make Hornby look like amateurs!

I am also now in the situation where I have paid for all the items, but one remaining item has not yet been sent to me as it is 'not available'. This is fine, except no-where on my account does it actually show any evidence of this! As this remaining item is another Maunsell coach I think I will be cancelling it anyway unless they can give me some guarantee as to its condition!

Same here, waiting for order to arrive. Also e-mailed Hornby.  Hoping for reply when holidays over.  Probably time of year.

Hi

I'll post as and when my parcel arrives. Would you mind doing the same?

Regards

Stephen

Archived