A short running video featuring my pair of Hornby TTS Class 20's. Not bad for £160 for the pair. Must admit, love the Thrash option. 

I've only just started getting into DCC and I must admit, I've been bitten by the bug!

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFocsCWSUt4

Very impressed with those TTS sounds at the price - thanks for posting.

I'm hoping Hornby will release the Class 20 sound decoders separately as I'd like to fit them into my Bachmann 20's.

One question if I may please SDJR.  When you run those 20's in consist,  do you use 28 or 128 speed steps?  I have a couple of TTS decoders fitted into "full fat" Hornby 31's but my I can't seem to consist them to run on 128 steps, only 28.  (I use an NCE Powercab).

Edited by cravensdmufan

Very impressed with those TTS sounds at the price - thanks for posting.

I'm hoping Hornby will release the Class 20 sound decoders separately as I'd like to fit them into my Bachmann 20's.

One question if I may please SDJR.  When you run those 20's in consist,  do you use 28 or 128 speed steps?  I have a couple of TTS decoders fitted into "full fat" Hornby 31's but my I can't seem to consist them to run on 128 steps, only 28.  (I use an NCE Powercab).

Hmmm, honestly don't know. I'm very new to DCC, and have played around with the settings/cv's much (still learning what I all does). I think I currently left the speed steps as factory set. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. 

Another quick video of one of my Hornby TTS Models, the R3392TTS Class 40. Personally not as good sounding as the 20's or 31's, but for just over £75 it's certainly not bad at all. Here's the model in action on a short rake (I was a bit rushed for time when filming).

Hope it's of interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYVzld2ST7E 

post-20663-0-88182700-1514801672_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I picked up one of Gooderz sound chips from the Chinnor and Princes Risborough railway shop. Easily one of the best sounding DCC chips I've come across!

I'll try recording from a different angle with better light as the model progresses.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a quick view of a Hornby 08 reblown with Howes sound. The brakes should squeal as it stops, and they did for a few minutes but for some reason don't now but I'll ring them sometime this week to see if its something I've done.

• Like 1

A look at the Oxford Rail Adams Radial 4-4-2T, in smart East Kent Railway green, fitted with DCC Sound. Fitted with a ESU LoksoundV4.0 decoder, speaker and sound chamber, the model features a wide selection of sounds. Sound Functions List;

F1 Sound on/off

F2 Steam whistle

F3 Short whistle

F4 Coal shovelling

F5 Air pump

F6 Acceleration/Brake time, Shunting mode, Shunting speed

F7 Curve squeal on/off

F8 Water pump

F9 Cylinders blow out

F10 Conductor's signal

F11 Coupler clank

F12 Dumping

F13 Brake set/Release (automatically)

F14 Rail clank

F15 Safety valve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jG6_oGk0Dc

• Like 1

Heres a quick view of a Hornby 08 reblown with Howes sound. The brakes should squeal as it stops, and they did for a few minutes but for some reason don't now but I'll ring them sometime this week to see if its something I've done.

That sounds really good - hope you can get the brakes sound resolved. What speakers have you used?

Here's an alternative for a lot less money. Apart from the whistle, which might be improved with a better speaker,it sounds very much like an 08, a big improvement on Hornby's previous Loksound powered version.

Heard one at Digitrains today (new release) worked well with all DCC controllers including ECoS.

Edited by pauliebanger
  • Like 1

Here's an alternative for a lot less money. Apart from the whistle, sounds very much like an 08, a big improvement on Hornby's previous Loksound version.

Bl00dy hell, those engine sounds on TTS are particularly good. But no brake or flange squeal sounds? That is what I remember from yard shunting (in real life) as much as the engine noise. That is why I will pay the extra for what you can do, or indeed Howes (who have reduced their prices), when their chips work, but you in preference because of the automatic driveability factor. But if you could get your prices down a bit, I could buy more of them.....

• Like 1

That sounds really good - hope you can get the brakes sound resolved. What speakers have you used?

I bought this second hand so assume it is the speaker that Hornby supplied it with. I asked Howes if they could do a speaker upgrade but was told its not possible as its fitted with a V3.5 chip so needs a 100 ohm speaker. As for the brake squeal I've been told to do a cv8 reset but I doubt that will work as I never changed anything before but I will try is when I get the chance. I have a Bachmann 08 which I will fit with sound, possibly from Chinnor railway as that sounds good but first need some overtime to pay for it.

Bl00dy hell, those engine sounds on TTS are particularly good. But no brake or flange squeal sounds? That is what I remember from yard shunting (in real life) as much as the engine noise. That is why I will pay the extra for what you can do, or indeed Howes (who have reduced their prices), when their chips work, but you in preference because of the automatic driveability factor. But if you could get your prices down a bit, I could buy more of them.....

To be honest I like the TTS stuff but then I'm not looking for door slams, coupling sounds etc. I have a few TTS locos and the actual engine sounds are fine for me but like you said the flange squeal and brake sounds leave a bit to be desired. I have a TTS 47 re speakered and that sounds fine, certainly an improvement on when I was modelling 15 - 20 years ago when all there was to listen to was the lima motor grinding away

• Like 1

Mike,

Thanks for the vote of approval, but as for prices, ZIMO decoders from Digitrains are still cheaper than ESU from Howes (or other ESU dealers for that matter).

BTW, according to Hornby, the 08 Flange Squeal is on F23 (not that convenient for a regulary used sound, but at least it's available).

Kind regards,

Paul

Mike,

Thanks for the vote of approval, but as for prices, ZIMO decoders from Digitrains are still cheaper than ESU from Howes (or other ESU dealers for that matter).

BTW, according to Hornby, the 08 Flange Squeal is on F23 (not that convenient for a regulary used sound, but at least it's available).

Kind regards,

Paul

Ive recently bought a Digitrains class 26 decoder which I hope to fit in an old lima 26 but not sure how successful that will be. If it doesn't work I guess I'll have to fork out for a Heljan one later

Ive recently bought a Digitrains class 26 decoder which I hope to fit in an old lima 26 but not sure how successful that will be. If it doesn't work I guess I'll have to fork out for a Heljan one later

There's no real reason why it shouldn't work. The trick with Lima locos is to fit better wheels and improve the electrical pickup: get as many wheels as possible picking up power. You could also try a "keep alive" capacitor as well.

• Like 1

There's no real reason why it shouldn't work. The trick with Lima locos is to fit better wheels and improve the electrical pickup: get as many wheels as possible picking up power. You could also try a "keep alive" capacitor as well.

Thanks. Just been looking at the price of the capacitor, I think buying a Heljan would be cheaper. I'll put it in one of the limas first and if successful put a video here.

Thanks. Just been looking at the price of the capacitor, I think buying a Heljan would be cheaper. I'll put it in one of the limas first and if successful put a video here.

I don't know what type or price you have been looking at but you can make your own quite inexpensively. You'll need 6 x 2.7v 1 Farad supercaps, (around £1 each). Solder them together in series to raise voltage to 16.2v. This will give 166,666uF, or enough to run with sound for over 30 seconds without track power. The MX645 has the stay alive wires already connected to it, just solder blue to cap positive and grey to cap negative and off you go (and go and go and go). Use CV 153 to restrict the duration for which it will travel without receiving a DCC signal.

I've covered this several times in my Hornby Magazine DCC fitting guides.

Kind regards,

Paul

I don't know what type or price you have been looking at but you can make your own quite inexpensively. You'll need 6 x 2.7v 1 Farad supercaps, (around £1 each). Solder them together in series to raise voltage to 16.2v. This will give 166,666uF, or enough to run with sound for over 30 seconds without track power. The MX645 has the stay alive wires already connected to it, just solder blue to cap positive and grey to cap negative and off you go (and go and go and go). Use CV 153 to restrict the duration for which it will travel without receiving a DCC signal.

I've covered this several times in my Hornby Magazine DCC fitting guides.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you Paul, I will have a look for some. I must confess to not buying any magazines so miss out on articles like that. The ones I looked at were around the £20 mark. 30 seconds run time is plenty as my layout isn't that long.Thanks again

Graham

A look at the Golden Valley Hobbies YE Janus 0-6-0 by Oxford Rail, in smart NCB Blue Livery, fitted with DCC Sound. Available for just under £180, this model comes pre-fitted with a ESU LoksoundV4.0 Decoder and Speaker, equipped with sound from legomanbiffo, recorded from a preserved example of the Class, with the assistance of the Appleby Frodingham Railway Preservation Society. In this video, we take a look at just some of the many built in sound functions (Full List Below)

Sound Functions List;

F0 Directional Lighting (Not featured on Model)

F1 Engine

F2 Playable Horn

F3 Playable Horn

F4 Buffering Up (when moving) / Coupling Hook (when stationary)

F5 Manual Brake (when moving) / Brake (when stationary)

F6 Driver's Door Slam

F7 Compressor

F8 Not in use

F9 Variable speed Squeal

F10 Dispatch Whistle

F11- 12 Not in Use

F13 Sanders

F14 Not in Use

F15 Driver Hold

F16 - 17 Not in Use

F18 Speed-dependent / Flash-enabled Track Warnings

F19 Aux 1

F20 Aux 2

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_B3DhnAwAU

• Like 1

A look at the new Hornby RailRoad R3592TTS - BR A1A-A1A Class 31, in smart BR Two Tone Green fitted with TTS Sound. My first DCC Sound Loco, back last year.

Available for under £70, this model really is a superb and cost effective way of getting into the world of DCC Sound. In this video, we take a look at just some of the many built in sound functions (Full List Below), as the model undergoes a quick test run on the layout.

Sound Functions List;

. F0 Headlight/rear-light

. F1 Engine start/stop

. F2 Horn high-low

. F3 Horn low-high

. F4 Brake squeal

. F5 NOTCH up

. F6 NOTCH down

. F7 Return to IDLE

. F8 Thrash

. F9 Cold start override

. F10 Compressor