Repainted Hornby class 31, 31601 with TTS sound decoder and a megabass speaker, the speaker has been cut down to fit inside the model in the space where the fan originally was.

https://youtu.be/DTJrCOWa5rQ

Richard

Very nice sounds and good smooth control, Richard.

It shows just what can be achieved with TTS - I think they are great for the money.

Had to take some of the engine mouldings out, quite easy to do and if you are careful you can remove it without breaking it so you can put it back if you ever sell the loco without sound

Richard

Many years ago I fitted a large bass reflex speaker into my Hornby 60 with the original factory sound on an ESU LokSound v3.5. I managed to shoehorn the speaker in above the engine mouldings by milling out a little of the underside of the exhaust silencer and its roof recess. The speaker is not visible from normal viewing angles, but is if you look diagonally upwards from below the side grilles - hardly a problem!

• 3 weeks later...

Another TTS model I've done, this one has a megabass speaker in the tanks and sounds pretty good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cYgLHKKg74

Richard

Richard, that is very impressive.

Did you need to change any CVs on the TTS for the Bachmann 37?  If so, would you be kind enough to list them please?

I have put a TTS into a Bachmann 37 (albeit an older 8 pin one) and can't get it quite right.

Thanks.

I did have to change the cv’s yes

The changes I made were 150=1, 153=255, 154=1, I’ve also been advised that 201 changes drive off delay, I changed it to 7 but I’m not sure how effective that was!

That's interesting about CV201 on TTS. I notice the locos always move off slighly before the engine rev up.

As previously posted, even though they are not as good as full fat sound decoders,  I have been very pleased with diesel TTS considering the price.  Still a bit too loud even with CV182 set to 1.  But hey, at £35 each........

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Some O gauge speakers tested, they sound so good when you are used to OO gauge models!

https://youtu.be/kiyVU9Vgwh4

Richard

Very interesting Richard, nice to see a different type becoming available (passive radiator) and as suspected listening to both as well as can be done on the clips I think the passive type has slightly more Bass and less high end detail (these are all relative terms where these tiny speakers are concerned), but frankly either type would sound excellent in an installation.

I use Megabass speakers in all my 7mm diesels and have done for over ten years, could only ever get them in the States originally......but I always found that nice compliant rubber surround made a huge difference compared to the poor paper suspension cones originally available.

Keep up the good work.

By the way, Richard or anyone else, what is the difference, sound-wise, between the MegaBass speakers (as shown on Richard's website) and the "earthmover" EM1, EM2 and whatever number they have got up to today, please?

I really like the look of the 23mm round megabass speakers on Richard's site, which could be the answer I am seeking for fitting in Class 33's and 73's - is there a video of one of these in action anywhere (I have watched the one using a Class 128, but that's with a pair of speakers - very good though!).

Many thanks

It's not as good as the EM2 for bass but it works well in locos that the EM2 doesn't suit (those that require a bit of treble as well as bass) I think thats helped by the metal drivers on the megabass speakers. The EM1 is quieter too. The 23mm round speaker is 4 ohms so it would probably perform better on its own, having 2 made it a little bit quieter, it sounded great at home but I took it to an exhibition where it was fairly quiet. After that I put one in a vitrains class 37 but I cant remember if I videoed it

Richard

Many thanks Richard. Sounds like it would be fine for a 33, where the raspy growl is the most notable rather than the deep throb of a 40 or above. The 73's will only be on diesel at low speed in sidings, so that's fine too. I need to check out Legoman's sound card versions (I only have Howes at present) before I purchase new speakers.

• 1 month later...

A look at the all new Hatton's Model Railways - SECR P Class 0-6-0T in smart SE&CR Grey Livery, fitted with Digital Sound from Olivia's Trains, by Hattons. Hattons have done a superb job in capturing the overall look of these iconic little SECR locomotives. The model throughout features a high level of detail, including extensively detailed cab interior and sprung buffers, as well as number of separately fitted parts, such as lamp irons, pipe work and turned brass whistle. Straight from the box, performance is smooth and quite, thanks to their powerful 5 Pole Motors. Fitted with a Loksound V4 6-pin sound decoder and 11mm x 15mm rectangular sugar cube 4 ohm speaker, by Hattons, the model feature Olivia's Trains Digital Sound (Full List of Sound Functions Below).

Sound Functions List;

F0 Directional Lighting (Not featured on Model)

F1 Drive Sounds

F2 Whistle

F3 Whistle

F4 N/A

F5 Coal Shovelling

F6 N/A

F7 Guard's Whistle

F8 Driver Acknowledgment

F9 Buffer Clash

F10 Coupling

F11- Wagon Squeal

F12 Water Fill

F13 Rail Clank

F14 Birdsong

F15 Fade-out Sound

F16 Safety Valve

F17 Injector

In this video, we take a look at the P Class in action, as the model undergo a quick test run on the layout, shunting a number of period wagons and coaches. Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao_OsrZzXy4

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

My first new video is of the sound file I’ve fitted to the Czech Railways class 721 made by MTB. Again I have used the excellent Artol sounds. Here the 721 arrives on a heavy cement train on full power then coasts into the station, the wagons are by Bramos.

[yt]

[/yt]

As I had the GoPro out, filmed another quick MP4, this time a Czech Railways class 770 by Roco fitted with ESU Loksound departs on a mixed freight.

[yt]

[/yt]

Will try and get a few more videos made in the next few days.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

A look at the Oxford Rail GWR Class 2301 ‘Dean Goods’ 0-6-0 smart British Railway Early Black Livery, fitted with DCC Sound. Available for just under £190, this model comes pre-fitted with a ESU LoksoundV4.0 Decoder and Speaker, equipped with sound from Coastal DCC.

In this video, we take a look at just some of the many built in sound functions (Full List Below), with the model hauling a short mixed goods train.

Sound Functions List;

F1 Sound on/off

F2 Whistle

F3 POP

F4 Drains

F5 Wheel Squeal

F6 Coupling

F7 Right Of Way Whistle (On) /Response (Off)

F8 Volume

F9 Inertia Off/On

F10 Watering

F11 Coal Shovelling

F12 Aux 2

F13 Safety Valves

F14 Injector

F15 Reverser

F16 Blower

F17 Brake Squeal

Hope it's of interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJHja_9Rr8

• Like 1

Nice ones, Neil; something a little different. :)

Thanks glad you like them had the Go-pro out again!!

This time its a clip of a Czech 754 which originally had Roco sound but has been reflashed with Artol sounds which in my view give a far better “soundtrack” than the Roco one which sounded far to interesting for a “Google”...

Here the 754 departs on a passenger service of single and double deck coaches.

[yt]

[/yt]

Next a Czech 781 by Roco which has been fitted with ESU Loksound chip, the loco arrives in the station and stops briefly before moving off.

It would be good if ESU added “Full Throttle / Drive Hold” to European Models in the same way they have to their American Models.

[yt]

[/yt]

Hope you enjoy them.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 1

A look at the Oxford Rail GWR Class 2301 ‘Dean Goods’ 0-6-0 smart British Railway Early Black Livery, fitted with DCC Sound. Available for just under £190, this model comes pre-fitted with a ESU LoksoundV4.0 Decoder and Speaker, equipped with sound from Coastal DCC.

In this video, we take a look at just some of the many built in sound functions (Full List Below), with the model hauling a short mixed goods train.

Sound Functions List;

F1 Sound on/off

F2 Whistle

F3 POP

F4 Drains

F5 Wheel Squeal

F6 Coupling

F7 Right Of Way Whistle (On) /Response (Off)

F8 Volume

F9 Inertia Off/On

F10 Watering

F11 Coal Shovelling

F12 Aux 2

F13 Safety Valves

F14 Injector

F15 Reverser

F16 Blower

F17 Brake Squeal

Hope it's of interest!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZJHja_9Rr8

Ian Alan in Birmingham next to New Street station made a bit of a mistake and were selling them sound fitted for around £120.00.

Wiggy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is one of my favourite models. It came with a Zimo decoder but I swapped it for a Loksound 4 so I could put Legomanbiffos new sounds on it. Being a Vitrains model theres plenty of space in it so I put two megabass speakers in there, one over each bogie. It has a nice deep sound to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLBbdCZrKA

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-13 at 21.44.51.png

Richard

Now that really is very very good for a 4mm model, sounds not unlike my 7mm stuff with the mega bass and big sound box
  • Like 1

This is one of my favourite models. It came with a Zimo decoder but I swapped it for a Loksound 4 so I could put Legomanbiffos new sounds on it. Being a Vitrains model theres plenty of space in it so I put two megabass speakers in there, one over each bogie. It has a nice deep sound to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFLBbdCZrKA

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-05-13 at 21.44.51.png

Richard

Hi Richard

Sounds very impressive, it's not that much different to my Bach EM2 fitted 47 using the same Bif's Mid Norfolk 47/7 file, and it was a really "MAJOR" PITA job to get that EM2 fitted !!  

I'll need to try out some of these MB's and the double i-phone option.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken, it can’t match the EM2 for bass but to me it sounds clearer than the Em2 and has more treble which I think the EM2 lacks. I have done a few exhibitions with D.C. kits and took this with me. It gave me the chance to hear it next to Ian’s EM2 fitted model, some people preferred that one and some people preferred mine, it’s just a matter of opinion. Definitely easier to fit these speakers though!

Richard

EM2 speakers do not suit every loco, especially GM Engined locomotives.     Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

A short video taking a look at a quick test run, featuring my Bachmann ROD 2-8-0 (Robinson O4) fitted with Digital Sound. I've backdated the locomotive into WW1 ROD Black, add large ROD Marking and Numbers to the Tender Sides, as well as painting the Buffer Beams Black. I also fitted a the model with a ESU Loksound V4.0 Decorder and Speaker, equipped with Sound from South West Digital. This Model is just one of a number of Locomotives I am currently backdating into ROD Livery, with more to follow.

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXD1eYD_VPM

• Like 1