I recently bought a Hornby factory sound-fitted class 56 with faulty lighting, for quite a reasonable price. I was not all that enamoured with the Hornby sounds, so looked to legomanbiffo for a reblow. The Hornby fitting uses an ESU LokSound v3.5, so it doesn't have many of the newer features that 'bif offers on v4 decoders, but I think it sounds absolutely spot on, although the video doesn't really do it justice.

I placed the camera too close to the track at one point, so the locomotive does actually clout it as it passes!

I still haven't fixed the lights - if anything, I made them worse in the attempts! However, I do have some after market lighting from Jason Edmonds to fit, which will give a bit more control over them as well.

I also have some etched components to fit to improve things like the printed horn grilles.
  • Like 1

Just to be a bit topical, here's my own ProtoDrive sound project, optimised for the Dapol 0 Gauge shunter, featured in the video.

There is an 00 gauge version available too.

These projects have woking loco brakes and can realistically simulate all operating conditions and matching engine speeds yet still retain full control of the throttle at all times.

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two videos of General Motors (baby GMs) CIE 141/181 class locos on Kingsbridge layout (under construction).  Both LokSound by DC Kits.  Models are Murphy Models CIE 141/181 class.  In the middle of the first clip there is also a Black 141 with a MrSoundguy Zimo project and realdrive.

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 1

Noel,

Just to correct a point relating to your video. Whilst the Irish sounds are of the quality that our customers have come to expect, I cannot take the credit for them, they were produced by another sound programmer who supplies Charlie. I've had a play with them, they are very good and have some great functionality.

Bif

• 3 weeks later...

Noel,

Just to correct a point relating to your video. Whilst the Irish sounds are of the quality that our customers have come to expect, I cannot take the credit for them, they were produced by another sound programmer who supplies Charlie. I've had a play with them, they are very good and have some great functionality.

Bif

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't realise these excellent Irish DCC sound projects were produced by Wheeltappers

http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk

https://vimeo.com/user44816521

I'll update the credits in my clips in due course

Wheeltappers LokSound project supplied by DC-Kits. Irish CIE 181 class hauling passenger train with 'Power Drive' which seems to be a variation of ESU LokSound 'Full Throttle' feature.  Loco is a Murphy Model 181 with a standard 40x20mm speaker, coaches are all RTR from IFM.  The start of the clip demonstrates 'Drive Hold' which is toggled on and off repeatedly, and while on the throttle controls notching instead of speed.  Allows driver to simulate heavy trains starting off as loco trashes.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

thought i would try a new angle,

ZImo fitted Bachmann 47,

2x Bachmann 37s with SWD loksound 4

1x 56 fitted with a loksound and howes

the 47 in the background has a factory fitted chip loksound 3.5

wanted to try and get a good night scene

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's a short video clip featuring my Janus 'ProtoDrive SL' sound project. My 'SL' projects have SpeedLock which enables any road speed to be temporarilly fixed whilst the engine power sounds can be raised or lowered by use of the throttle. This is suplementary to all the other great manual control techniques I've already introduced into  my ProtoDrive projects and ActiveDrive projects from Digitrains.

This clip only really demonstrates the engine sounds and one of the horn options (of 4). I'll expand on this in other clips when I get the time.

Kind regards.

Paul

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...