Troutons

enginelane

Roof soot added but looks too dense compared the image I am using, earth wash added to the body sides and oil stains to the tanks. I sometimes think this never seems to set to the slightly off sheen of fuel so might go back to a dab of varnish. Off to Rochdale to watch Granddads Railway a play the club helped the play writer with some research. See what the loco looks like on return

post-9435-0-00920200-1394957598_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-01724200-1394957611_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

That's very good,

I've tried with powders but can't seem to get the density of colour required to alter the bogies totally....

How do you fix the powder ?

Hi

I let the Lifecolour paint go off enough to grab the plastic and then stipple on the powders with an old chisel end brush. I sometimes use the pigment fixer solution but have to be carefully as it does seem to lift up the paint. I hope after doing all this I can persuade a certain member of the Troutons team to airbrush some matt varnish to seal everything in place as he has the lightest of touch which I have yet to develop. As the kids I teach often remind me - subtle I a'int!

• Like 1

Hi

I let the Lifecolour paint go off enough to grab the plastic and then stipple on the powders with an old chisel end brush. I sometimes use the pigment fixer solution but have to be carefully as it does seem to lift up the paint. I hope after doing all this I can persuade a certain member of the Troutons team to airbrush some matt varnish to seal everything in place as he has the lightest of touch which I have yet to develop. As the kids I teach often remind me - subtle I a'int!

As a solution to this problem, why not using a fresh wash of paint as a base. Let it dry half way then either dab on or sprinkle on the paint. This base of paint will fix the weathering powder on the surface. I often use Vallejo Model Wash paints as both a base and also often use it after applying the weathering powders to enhance the fixation of the powders and also add more variety to the colour. See below an example on this HO scale bogie weathered with this technique. (Note, you can also use the Humbrol Washes if you prefer).

post-18935-0-12276100-1394993846_thumb.jpg

I also like to mix the weathering powders with some sepia Game Color Wash from Vallejo to a muddy consistency, then applying it carefully on a still fresh coat of model wash paint to depict rust or dirt stains, for example on this NYC boxcar for the rust near the structural elements of the body and also where the paint has been scratched by the gliding door when opening. Once dry, you'll have a more textured effect than with paint, but also a stronger pigmentation than when using dry weathering powder and spraying varnish or fixative (this firstly removing some of the weathering powder and also reducing by 20 % minimum the colour strength of the pigments...) - The glossy aspect is due to the fact the paint had not totally dried when I took the picture...

post-18935-0-32374800-1394993856_thumb.jpg

Hope this will help. For those who'll be in London next WE, I'll be glad to show them how I do this at the London Festival of Model Railways where I'll be holding demos (stand 61).

Eric.

Edited by alderson.eric.j
  • Like 2

As a solution to this problem, why not using a fresh wash of paint as a base. Let it dry half way then either dab on or sprinkle on the paint. This base of paint will fix the weathering powder on the surface. I often use Vallejo Model Wash paints as both a base and also often use it after applying the weathering powders to enhance the fixation of the powders and also add more variety to the colour. See below an example on this HO scale bogie weathered with this technique. (Note, you can also use the Humbrol Washes if you prefer).

attachicon.gifBogies.JPG

I also like to mix the weathering powders with some sepia Game Color Wash from Vallejo to a muddy consistency, then applying it carefully on a still fresh coat of model wash paint to depict rust or dirt stains, for example on this NYC boxcar for the rust near the structural elements of the body and also where the paint has been scratched by the gliding door when opening. Once dry, you'll have a more textured effect than with paint, but also a stronger pigmentation than when using dry weathering powder and spraying varnish or fixative (this firstly removing some of the weathering powder and also reducing by 20 % minimum the colour strength of the pigments...) - The glossy aspect is due to the fact the paint had not totally dried when I took the picture...

attachicon.gifBoxcar.JPG

Hope this will help. For those who'll be in London next WE, I'll be glad to show them how I do this at the London Festival of Model Railways where I'll be holding demos (stand 61).

Eric.

Very nice. I have noted all your details from the previous post into my exhibition log and will keep on file . Have fun next week at Ally Pally

Very nice. I have noted all your details from the previous post into my exhibition log and will keep on file . Have fun next week at Ally Pally

Hi hope Ally Pally treating you well and you are having a good time in the UK

Big production coming up at work and going big scale modelling - have to make the front landing gear of a F14 tomcat, progress so far!

post-9435-0-42693700-1395561465_thumb.jpg

post-9435-0-73709500-1395561490.jpg

• Like 1

Need to pick up a couple of steel carriers from Cambrian Models at Scalefour North in a few weeks time. This year it is at Queen Elizabeth Grammar School and even if you do not model at this scale is a good exhibition to attend.Very relaxed atmosphere, great modelling and suppliers that are not normally seen at local exhibitions. In the meantime will get on with upgrading the scrapyard, motorway bridge and canal sections.

The modelling project will be a scaffold lorry that will be placed near the old mill on the next section of the layout.

This is the image that will be used as a guide

post-9435-0-71601100-1395565529_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Time to start digging out the snapped off fence posts from the winter storms so a couple of images to show progress so far

Looks good - Let me know when you need a Driver :laugh:

Cheers.

Bob.

Hi hope Ally Pally treating you well and you are having a good time in the UK

Big production coming up at work and going big scale modelling - have to make the front landing gear of a F14 tomcat, progress so far!

Hi Enginelane,

Well, just came back from Ally Pally, and lounging a bit in front of the computer in my B&B room near Tavistock Square... And Ally Pally indeed treated me a hell lot better than well. You'd tell me I'd start again the same exhibition next week-end I'd say "Hell Yes" without a second thought... This was the best experience I had in an exhibition in all the years I've been attending to such shows in Belgium, France and the Netherlands. This was my first one on this side of the Channel, and all I can say is that I really enjoyed this new experience.

I've posted a picture of the stand in my thread (Leddysh Gate's Workbench) as well as a picture of an N scale Amtrak diesel loco I weathered yesterday. Today, I worked on a Dapol Drewry Shunter (C-Kit) painted in BR green livery... The second kit will have to wait a bit, as I plan to modify it to match several pictures I found on the Web...

Cheers,

Eric;

• Like 1

Hi Enginelane,

Well, just came back from Ally Pally, and lounging a bit in front of the computer in my B&B room near Tavistock Square... And Ally Pally indeed treated me a hell lot better than well. You'd tell me I'd start again the same exhibition next week-end I'd say "Hell Yes" without a second thought... This was the best experience I had in an exhibition in all the years I've been attending to such shows in Belgium, France and the Netherlands. This was my first one on this side of the Channel, and all I can say is that I really enjoyed this new experience.

I've posted a picture of the stand in my thread (Leddysh Gate's Workbench) as well as a picture of an N scale Amtrak diesel loco I weathered yesterday. Today, I worked on a Dapol Drewry Shunter (C-Kit) painted in BR green livery... The second kit will have to wait a bit, as I plan to modify it to match several pictures I found on the Web...

Cheers,

Eric;

glad you had a good time at Ally Pally. I se you were close to the LNER Society Stand, a member of which gave a talk to my homeclub the other week!

Had a look at the link, very nice modelling. The interior of the shed is very good and often this aspect of interiors is neglected in many models

glad you had a good time at Ally Pally. I se you were close to the LNER Society Stand, a member of which gave a talk to my homeclub the other week!

Had a look at the link, very nice modelling. The interior of the shed is very good and often this aspect of interiors is neglected in many models

Thanks. I definitely plan to detail the interior of the shed. I even plan on detailing the whole roof superstructure (beams, etc.) as I want to be able when taking a picture through the doors to have the same view as the ones I have on the pictures I took there last year.

And about Ally Pally, I was indeed right in front of the LNER Society stand, and right beside the one of Wrenn models... Even found me there three ex-War Department wagons in BR livery I plan to paint back in WD colours for my future GWR 1944 layout.

Cheers,

Eric.