Troutons

enginelane

coming home from work within 60 mins streaming nose headache etc so early morning modelling session once more. So Lemsip in one hand and brush in the other added Humbrol black wash to body work. Not really used this product before will be interested in how it sets

post-9435-0-04571000-1395989242_thumb.jpg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 1

Wow. Looks really great, and the effect of the black wash on the grey parts of the lorry deck is just excellent, depicting how dust & dirt soils such a surface in real life.

All I'd advise also is that you use a blue wash on the blue parts of the truck (cab). I use the Vallejo Model Washes for the same purpose : toning down a paint job and reproducing the look of fading, aged paint.

Also, the black wash mixed with blue wash and a bit more diluted can be used a bit like China Ink in aircraft modelling : darkening the panel lines !

All you'll then have to do is simply add a bit of dirt & mud on the truck's underframe and a bit of natural umber on the deck (represents well sawdust);

post-18935-0-25364300-1395992378_thumb.jpg

Here is a photo of a HO truck I weathered with weathering powders and washes (homemade washes, as the Model Washes were not available when I weathered this one) to show you what you can achieve with the Washes. The two tarpaulined loads were also painted using the washes. I simply brushpainted them white (using Vallejo Model Color's Foundation White) then brushed on three various colours of model washes (Light grey, dark grey and black) to create the aspect of an old and dirty tarpaulin. The last step was of course a drybrush of Vallejo Model Color London Grey mixed with Foundation White to highlight the edges of the loads.The black car on the left just received a coat of matte varnish, then a few washes of dark grey and light grey to age the paint.

Hope those little advises will be helpfull to you.

Eric.

Wow. Looks really great, and the effect of the black wash on the grey parts of the lorry deck is just excellent, depicting how dust & dirt soils such a surface in real life.

All I'd advise also is that you use a blue wash on the blue parts of the truck (cab). I use the Vallejo Model Washes for the same purpose : toning down a paint job and reproducing the look of fading, aged paint.

Also, the black wash mixed with blue wash and a bit more diluted can be used a bit like China Ink in aircraft modelling : darkening the panel lines !

All you'll then have to do is simply add a bit of dirt & mud on the truck's underframe and a bit of natural umber on the deck (represents well sawdust);

attachicon.gifTruck & car.jpg

Here is a photo of a HO truck I weathered with weathering powders and washes (homemade washes, as the Model Washes were not available when I weathered this one) to show you what you can achieve with the Washes. The two tarpaulined loads were also painted using the washes. I simply brushpainted them white (using Vallejo Model Color's Foundation White) then brushed on three various colours of model washes (Light grey, dark grey and black) to create the aspect of an old and dirty tarpaulin. The last step was of course a drybrush of Vallejo Model Color London Grey mixed with Foundation White to highlight the edges of the loads.The black car on the left just received a coat of matte varnish, then a few washes of dark grey and light grey to age the paint.

Hope those little advises will be helpfull to you.

Eric.

Thanks will try the techniques out

Spent some time in the workshop this morning before the real day job. Have to create a representation of a F14 tomcat engine for a school production in 10 days time, big scale weathering will be needed!

post-9435-0-89737100-1395993748_thumb.jpg

One less hour lying a wake in bed before suitable getting up and all the bits are ready to start and build up the load the scaffold parts. The costa wooden sticks have a base of dust 2 from Lifecolour set and will have mig industrial city dust added. The metal bits are tomato paste tube flattened out and formed around the end of tweezers to represent the various metal fittings, small lengths of tubing, large ladders and a few buckets. Will need some fine thread for random lengths of rope and good to go. That will then leave detailing the cab, adding lights and selecting a suitable figures to complete the mini scene. The idea being the old mill building is being prepared for conversion into flats and lorry is being unloaded ready to start the job.

post-9435-0-69228500-1396161383_thumb.jpg

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 2

Well impressed with the scaffolding lorry, this is something I have been loking at doing for my N layout and have a few piccies ready as well as a lorry to convert. so seeing your model should give me the motivation to get on with it. Just hope I can get it loking half as good as your though. 

Best wishes

Simon

Great layout you have. Just went back and had a read of the entire thread. look forward to seeing more. 

Regards 

Scott

Thanks with the impetuous of its next exhibition at Leeds 2014 the team have plans to upgrade sections of the scenery including the scrapyard, signing on depot and the mill area. The Wakefield Show demonstrated how vital storage is and how important running what we thought would just be a branch with relatively low traffic movements the need to increase siding space to serve this line. The crane is still a major feature but having discovered a crack in the housing for the main gear wheel a tricky repair will have to be made but with the cost of replacement being in the hundreds of pounds not a job for the faint hearted if it goes wrong!

Wow... This looks impressive ! Just need the perfect backdrop (a building undergoing renovation) and it'll be a show stopper ! Cracking work you've done there, and the weathering looks quite good too, just the cab that seems a bit too "clean" for my own taste, but that's just my own opinion...

Eric.

Wow... This looks impressive ! Just need the perfect backdrop (a building undergoing renovation) and it'll be a show stopper ! Cracking work you've done there, and the weathering looks quite good too, just the cab that seems a bit too "clean" for my own taste, but that's just my own opinion...

Eric.

Thanks for your comments. Agree that cab too bright and hoping to pick up a blue filter as you suggested at a local show in a couple of weeks time.