Bachmann & Farish news from Warley

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the comments re D200 folks

Heres a nice shot of her at Liverpool St in the company of a class 15 in GSYP confirming absence of small handrails on bonnet and presence of brass horn grilles and also shows the extra rib over the cooler group roof rather nicely.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6004/6017139669_1571cd481c_z.jpg

She was still in this livery in 67 but was blue by 74 - what happened in between I wonder? 2 stints in Crewe works in 69 was GFYE applied then - or blue?

She seems to have been camera shy

Cheers

Phil

All these complains about the coal looking not good on 9017 pales into insignificance compared to some of the Bluebell Rly hierarchy not particularly chuffed that the model is being released without the Earl Of Berkeley nameplates on it.  :mosking:

All these complains about the coal looking not good on 9017 pales into insignificance compared to some of the Bluebell Rly hierarchy not particularly chuffed that the model is being released without the Earl Of Berkeley nameplates on it.  :mosking:

As clarified in the Dukedog thread, Bachmann's depiction of 9017 is based on its 1955 appearance when shedded at Machynlleth, thus nameplates are not carried.

Heres a nice shot of her at Liverpool St in the company of a class 15 in GSYP confirming absence of small handrails on bonnet and presence of brass horn grilles and also shows the extra rib over the cooler group roof rather nicely.

She was still in this livery in 67 but was blue by 74 - what happened in between I wonder? 2 stints in Crewe works in 69 was GFYE applied then - or blue?

Cheers

Phil

Be warned though....the vertical handrails on the nose as mentioned by TT were fitted while she was still at Stratford ie pre 67. Earlier shots of the model of D211 had these in place-don`t know why they have since disappeared. Small details but important to some.

Cheers

Phil

PM winging it's way to you Sir!

Well one year on from Bachmann's first 40 EP appearing and we seem to have made progress - I had huge doubts about it but now model looks the business - well done Bachmann for sorting the issues around the cab area - the gap above the bogies is understandable and could probably be hidden with a few extra details. Feel much more confident about this model now, can't wait to get my hands on one :)

Cheers,

Bruce

The Dukedog looks very impressive and outside-framed locomotives with their rods whirling round have a certain charm.  Irwell Press covered the Class in a two-part article that appeared in Railway Bylines for the months of January and February 2011.  It has much useful information including the oddity, 9015, that had a cab from 'Duke' Class 3262 'St. Ives' with different cab windows.  My problem has been to justify having one in Cornwall until I read in Bylines of the proposal to transfer some to Devon for pilot work in 1954.  A short trial was made during the March of that year with 9023 but it did not impress.   It was rare for a Class member to reach Plymouth but not unknown.....and one could have crossed the Tamar but don't ask me to prove it! 

• RMweb Gold

Be warned though....the vertical handrails on the nose as mentioned by TT were fitted while she was still at Stratford ie pre 67. Earlier shots of the model of D211 had these in place-don`t know why they have since disappeared. Small details but important to some.

Cheers

Handrails should be easily fixed - and is looking more and more like GSYP, have now seen GSYP from 1968 - thanks Nidge - so the window of possibility for GFYE is shrinking

Edit - and the window  just got a whole lot smaller - D200 was blue following works visit to Crewe in May 1970 see Rail Photoprints HB035

Phil

• RMweb Gold

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere and, if so, I apologise, but was that a retooled 150 in the Bachmann display case? It seemed to be missing the huge chassis block and only the window nearest to the inner gangway was obscured on the powered vehicle.

ROB

Hi Rob

I asked and was told it was a new tooling. That surprised me as I do not recall there being anything wrong with the shape of the current one. The main issue being the blacked out windows. Obviously the motor position has changed so that will have knock on effects on other parts of the construction and allow proper glazing in both cars. The only change to the body I could see was that there were aerials at the front which were not there before as far as I know. There could well be other smaller details like that.

Eamon

But an incorrect handrail length (eg) is ?

I just believe that any fault is worth commenting on, in the spirit of continued improvement.

Its a lot easier to glue real coal on top of the inferior plastic moulded stuff than it is to adjust a handrail length. If poorly modelled coal is the only fault on every model that comes out I'd gladly take that!!

Archived