Bachmann & Farish news from Warley

Andy Y

What a shame they're not doing the Merchant Navy in 00 too!

Who's to say they won't?!, they have long been replicating the 4mm items down to 2mm, so why not go the other way?.

Now that Hornby have reverted to jelly-moulds, if you want the fine detail you have to go to Bachmann. Hornby have had the MN chassis for 14 years now and still no original, time for those nice chaps from Barwell to seize the opportunity to produce the 'Proper MN'.

Hate to go on about it - after all there are some really great models produced here but that plastic mould representing coal is a real looser on the Dukedog. It totally destroys the image of the rest of the model.

While I can understand the forward thinking and the added value perception that "DCC" and "sound" can bring to the product - usually in the form of dramatically elevated pricing - it really is not that popular yet. I also do not think it is excusable for the poor coal effect. Better to leave it empty and provide a packet of real coal if they are unable to make plastic look anything close to the real thing. Some of the care and attention to the backhead would have been better spent on the tender.

Also for my tastes it was all a bit too much "modern image" for my liking - even if what is there is of high quality (except the Dukdog tender).

[Ed]. and nothing new for the coach enthusiast?

Hi Nidge

Am pretty sure that she was ....

But searching for a photo hasn't unearthed one .....yet.

She turned up at Worcester one lunch tine on a southbound class 6 that had Ashchurch traffic in it and would have gone through Abbotswood...

As for is that model correct for D200 - as far as I know it was - but I stand to be corrected!

Cheers

Phil

D200 never carried the two grab handles on the bonnet.

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

I've a recollection from somewhere deep in the memory banks that the initial 10 were a separate batch - again, I'm more than willing to be corrected.

In stickler mode, didn't Vulcan deliver them with brass grilles to the horns?

The green model in the Bachmann cabinet has brass (painted) grills.

There are still Polybulks in service on at least two flows:- 

From locations in the French Alps to Dow Chemicals at Cadoxton; leased by NACCO:- http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/I/IRB-covered-hoppers

From Hardendale to Teesside for Tata: leased by VTG, operated by GBRf:-                http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/J-/JIA-bogie-covered-hoppers/JIA-Traffic-ServicesVTG

There may also be a flow from Dowlow to Mossend of lime for glass-making.

Some of these wagons are now about forty years old.

Hate to go on about it - after all there are some really great models produced here but that plastic mould representing coal is a real looser on the Dukedog. It totally destroys the image of the rest of the model.

While I can understand the forward thinking and the added value perception that "DCC" and "sound" can bring to the product - usually in the form of dramatically elevated pricing - it really is not that popular yet. I also do not think it is excusable for the poor coal effect. Better to leave it empty and provide a packet of real coal if they are unable to make plastic look anything close to the real thing. Some of the care and attention to the backhead would have been better spent on the tender.

Also for my tastes it was all a bit too much "modern image" for my liking - even if what is there is of high quality (except the Dukdog tender).

The "Coal" maybe a metal weight similar used in the O4 Tender. Chuck it in the bin and add lead inside body and top up with real coal , no problem.

The "Coal" maybe a metal weight similar used in the O4 Tender. Chuck it in the bin and add lead inside body and top up with real coal , no problem.

It might well be easy to modify but the principle is why should we have to muck around with having to put right something that is so glaringly at fault in design? You could easily say the same thing with every part of a RTR - if they had not taken the care with that backhead, for example, you could make just the same remark "replace it with a hand painted XYZ casting" or "build a replacement from cast brass parts" all equally sensible steps to modify an otherwise poor model. But this is to my eyes a very fine model - with the glaring exception of that coal.

Even the coal on the MN looks better !

That is aside from the fact that when I purchase RTR I expect it to be READY and not require messing around with to bring to a consistent standard.

It's probably been mentioned elsewhere and, if so, I apologise, but was that a retooled 150 in the Bachmann display case? It seemed to be missing the huge chassis block and only the window nearest to the inner gangway was obscured on the powered vehicle.

ROB

Two points if I may, Kenton.

I believe the perceived lack of popularity that you identify for DCC and sound is a chicken and egg situation. Perhaps from the customers' point of view if the price was lower it would be more easily affordable and more would buy it. I'm sure there are many who would love their locos to have sound if it was within their budget. From the manufacturers' point of view the prices can only come down with the promise/expectation of volume sales and the discounts that flow from component sourcing. Well, that's how it works in my business, anyway.    

I suspect the close up combined with the flash account for the strange looking coal effect you mention. The MN shots were taken at a greater distance. It'd be worth seeing if the effect was as "poor" when we see the model in the flesh rather than with the aid of a flash.

Best, Andy  

I suppose I'm just an old grump but I don't like the sound (always tinny, lo-fo not hi-fi), lights are invariably too bright and quite often intermittent, and the exhaust effects are always risible. Do like the DCC concept for reducing the amount of wiring but the rest is just marketing b*ll*cks. Can't wait for battery power and wireless control.

Regards

Two points if I may, Kenton.

I believe the perceived lack of popularity that you identify for DCC and sound is a chicken and egg situation. Perhaps from the customers' point of view if the price was lower it would be more easily affordable and more would buy it. I'm sure there are many who would love their locos to have sound if it was within their budget. From the manufacturers' point of view the prices can only come down with the promise/expectation of volume sales and the discounts that flow from component sourcing. Well, that's how it works in my business, anyway.    

I suspect the close up combined with the flash account for the strange looking coal effect you mention. The MN shots were taken at a greater distance. It'd be worth seeing if the effect was as "poor" when we see the model in the flesh rather than with the aid of a flash.

Best, Andy  

Very fair points. I come from the view that I simply do not like sound but quite like DCC. So any model without provision of DCC seems to be lacking - not that I would necessarily add it - providing the choice is quite reasonable at minimal cost. So DCC ready should be the norm. Sound is a different prospect as it is not just a ridiculously expensive chip, but the installation or provision for speakers and then the unrealistic sound. Sure if cost was brought down this might encourage more and perhaps improve sound - but I think not - the sound is limited by the size and the recording and still doesn't fit with the environment in its isolation.

I do hope you are correct about the inadequate photographic lighting - but somehow I doubt it - they appear to be a professional set of photos taken with some care of such things. If it shows up so badly then it is going to look just as bad on my layout or on the shelf.

I think it was said at the beginning of this thread that the coal is a metal weight. It is on the Bachy D11/1 that I'm currently holding in my mit.

I saw the 'City of Truro' and the Dukedog on the same day at Llangollen, and while Truro positively glided along as it would on large diameter drivers, the Dukedog with its rods whirring round on much smaller wheels could not be said to be gliding. 

I think it was said at the beginning of this thread that the coal is a metal weight. It is on the Bachy D11/1 that I'm currently holding in my mit.

I saw the 'City of Truro' and the Dukedog on the same day at Llangollen, and while Truro positively glided along as it would on large diameter drivers, the Dukedog with its rods whirring round on much smaller wheels could not be said to be gliding.

From what you're saying Larry, you'd be looking to return that to the shop of supply for attention under the warranty - should be running smooth out of the box. Maybe they need to up QC at Swindon?

• RMweb Gold

9017 definitely gave the impression of gliding when it was on the front of our train climbing Talerddig back in another lifetime (and only a couple of months before withdrawal) - maybe it was the slower going uphill?

D200 never carried the two grab handles on the bonnet.

Nor did D211 have them when in all over green (as it still didn't have them when GSYP), by the look of things. http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5565205666/in/photolist-9tM8KQ-drhMuJ-ahS9wS-8XFAdh-dqBmqi-8h6paA-bKE8MH-bBxj7U-bnRcHo-bAL486-bAL3Nv-bAL3Dn-bAL3WX-aDqq6R-baBABH-ejEWsw-geYHeD-dKd37f-7MbMHH-7MfKH5-ahS8L3-ceZ82y-drq2Rp-fXyVKn-fTYJAA-eET2wE-d7NWLo-cZkSej-7HtLH5-8iXMRP-ah77dW-gBePK7-87GW7p-8gxhf8-aZd6YD-buBQwT-cqd1CA-8ULWkG/lightbox/

It looks like the longer, vertical nose end handrails are missing off the class 40 too, still looks good though.

T-T

Not being funny but the coal is no different to most RTR models, black shiny plastic. A quick coat of PVA and some real coal and hey presto, perfection. Anyone that wants to model a loco at the end of a run will have to cut a bit out and add a baseplate before real coal but hey, that's modelling. It's nothing different to how we have worked for many years and still revolves around that age old compromise of trying to please everyone. I think this is a good compromise.

• RMweb Gold

Seriously liking that class 40 and the N Merchant Navy. Was D211 on the WCML on was it a GE machine?

Steve

Steve

D211 named Mauretania and along with all the other named 40s was a WCML machine

Thanks for the handrail and horn grill comments all - easily fixed.

Cheers

Phil

Archived