864 members have voted

1. 1. Do you currently own a cutting machine?

• Yes
    • No, but I want to in the next 12 months
    • No, I have no plans to buy one
    • I'm undecided at the moment

Personally I do not use holes. It would be interesting to hear if others do.

I think a lot depends on the solvent. I use d-Limonene.

Thanks Mike

I think the solvents I use (Liquid Poly or Plastic Magic) may be more agressive than d-Limonene. I think I will get some and try it.

John

Agreed, Plastic Magic is especially agressive and has caused no end of warping. I now won't touch it for styrene sheet.

Useful information Mike, I was under the impression that it was less aggressive than Humbrol Liquid Poly, Thanks for warning me.

I have been looking for a source of d-Limonene but because our beloved Post Office will no longer carry liquids the only delivery choice is a carrier and their costs seem very high. Amazon don't seem to offer it so I can't use a free Prime delivery. Do you have any reccommendations on where to buy d-Limonene?

John

I got mine from Magnacol a few years back. Looking on their site the smallest they currently list is a 1 ltr bottle (although the photo is of a 250ml bottle) http://www.magnacol.co.uk/tissueprocessing/d-limonene1litre.html

Might be worth giving them a call.

Just remembered Hobby Holidays http://www.hobbyholidays.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=LIMONENE

Edited by MikeTrice

Thanks Alan and Mike. Wizard state that they only supply at exhibitions but Hobby Holidays ship by post so I ordered 100ml.

This turned out to be one of those times when a Google search comes up blank so thanks again for the help.

John

Probably too late now but I bought a litre from eBay which came with free postage.

Inspired at the time when Adam built his scratchbuilt Lowmac, I recalled that when buying NER Implement wagons and Lowmac kit's from Jim in the past he packed a couple of extra axlebox/spring castings. With that in mind and wanting to expand the wagon fleet in this direction I ordered and collected another of each kit from Jim at the Keighley show. This gave me a spare set of axlebox/spring castings for each type of wagon.

So when I was ill a couple of weeks or so ago I drew up the parts for an implement wagon to see how it looked.

Then last weekend in between working on the GER OCT and the A Type container (I was a busy boy because I also finished fitting the handrails to the Parkside unfitted van) I assembled it.

IMG_2262_zps8rdpsgwn.jpg

IMG_2280_zpsfryvpdey.jpg

I didn't get any further with it because I had left the relevant volume of Tatlow at home in Wakefield..... Which seems to be the story of my life just now - I hadn't been able to assemble the container the weekend before due to leaving the information at home.

Rob, one excuse I gave my wife when buying the Silhouette was it would save me a fortune on kits. You have taken this to a new level. Your machine must have paid for itself long ago. How many wagons to date?

Hi Mike, 

I honestly don't know, I will have to have a count up and let you know. I must confess to having quite a few that are unfinished though.

Even better news though is that I am still using the original blade that I got with it, a year last October.

That said I do think if Yolo send me a discount voucher over Christmas I might just invest in a premium blade as a spare (I do have a couple of CB09 blade holders and blades but I haven't got around to rubbing them down to make them fit the holder yet).

My good lady is well pleased with my output,  her greatest fear I think, was that I wouldn't get to grips with it and that it would be a waste of money. So much so that I might have talked her into letting me get a 3D printer in the next couple of years while I am still working - all being well I hope to take early retirement in a couple of years if funds will allow.

• Like 5

Brilliant looking wagon Rob I've drawn the Caley equivalent but haven't got round to cutting it yet in the mean time I've just put this together and the glue is still soft as I type this so when its dry and hardened up I'll clean it up a bit but right now it still looks a bit rough around the edges. Its a Scottish North Eastern railway bird cage brake cir 1870. Taken over by the Caley it can be seen in this famous picture of Loch Tay on the Killin branch.

post-17847-0-49346200-1482499880.jpg

Here's the brake.

post-17847-0-95376500-1482499942.jpg

post-17847-0-65889700-1482499955_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-63995700-1482499965_thumb.jpg

At the moment the roof is just sat in place and wont be glued down until its been painted and glazed. Ive drawn the other two carriages in this rake which are a SNER third and a Central Scottish railway first but haven't cut them yet. The drawings for these are available in the Caledonian carriage book by Mike Williams

Steve

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 2

Thank you Rob.

With the empty cask wagon I worked to the fact that the Caley one is so heavy framed and drew the sides up to be cut on 10 thou plasticard and to be up to six or seven layers laminated together, I cant recall the width of the framing on the Caley wagon but it worked out that all the layers on the side came to just under the thickness of the original wagons frame work. This frame work formed the corner posts of the wagon and the end panes which were also made up of laminated layers were drawn to account for this. If you pm me an email address I can send you the files of the wagon over and you might be able to get an idea of how it went together.

Steve

Thank you Jason.

There's not any thing special about this build it following tried and tested methods the main body is just a simple box made up of two layers of 20 thou with the top layer having the plank effect scribed into it. The guards look out section and all the body framing are made from two layers of 10 thou plasticard laminated together the roof also being two layers of 10 thou glued then held onto a Pringles tube with elastic bands giving when set a nice gentle curve.

The side framing did present a slight problem in that there is a raised plank that runs around the base of the body so the base layer of 10 thou framing was drawn to include this but the second layer was drawn to an extended length so when laid over the bottom layer the frame work extended beyond the bottom layer when glued and dry this sacrificial overlap was cut away giving the effect of the frame work extending over this plank at the base of the carriage.

You can see this in these pictures of the cut frets before being glued together and on one of the ends after the fret has been added, the frame work by the way is 0.5mm thick.

post-17847-0-37060500-1482504500.jpg

post-17847-0-49887400-1482504515_thumb.jpg

The left side of that end looks a bit rough but was corrected with a sharp scalpel and some wet and dry before fitting

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, one excuse I gave my wife when buying the Silhouette was it would save me a fortune on kits. You have taken this to a new level. Your machine must have paid for itself long ago. How many wagons to date?

Hi Mike,

I had a bit of a count up and to date I have cut and built

4 NBR Jubilee Vans

1 NBR yeast van - Sides cut and laminated but needs assembling.

1 Diag 39B NBR Van

1 Diag 40B NBR van - this is still under construction and hasn't featured on here yet.

2 NBR bogie CCT the second is cut out and laminated ready to be made up.

1 NER CCT - Still needs final details

1 NER Bogie CCT - parts cut and laminated but still needs assembling

1 NER G1 van - still at the "body only" stage of assembly

1 NER horizontal -planked G2 Van - still needs final details.

1 rectangular tar tank - I built the underframe for it on Thursday.

2 x 21' GNR Open Carriage trucks - not strictly silhouette cut, but all the details were.

1 x 18' GNR Open Carriage truck - not strictly silhouette cut but, all the details were.

1 NER 6 wheeled Open Carriage truck - not strictly silhouette cut, but all the details were.

1 GER Open Carriage truck.

1 NER Implement Wagon

1 GNOS Vacuum Cleaner wagon

So yes I think that it has paid for itself.

• Like 4

Another of my last week's endeavours was to make up and underframe for the tar tank.

My spares box yielded axle boxes/ springs and brakes while the "cameo" spares box yielded W Irons and Crown plates. I will need to cut more of the other washer plates for the solebars but since I already have an assortment drawn for other wagons that should be a simple matter.

IMG_2364_zpsfhgmvkiz.jpg

IMG_2358_zpsurwgaeim.jpg

One thing that I did notice when checking my drawing for making up the underframe is that this wagon has a 10' wheel base whereas the Slaters version has either 9' or 9' 6". Which will account for the the differing overall length and the reason that the transfers fit without adjustment. 

It makes you wonder whether Slaters (like other manufacturers) developed the kit around reusing some existing underframe parts in their range and then adjusted the tank length to fit. But subsequently someone else developed the transfers around the longer wheel based drawing. 

I can see lot's of sound business reasons for doing this.
  • Like 2

More progress was also made on the Great Northern Railway Open Carriage trucks. All of them now have brakes and yokes etc.

IMG_2370_zpsx3s0szpe.jpg

IMG_2346_zpsyv5riawp.jpg

Sadly I ran out of parts so didn't get any further with the 6 wheeled North Eastern Railway truck but I did make good progress with the Great Eastern Railway Open Carriage Truck.

IMG_2334_zpsdrfpr4tx.jpg

IMG_2340_zpsjeoduwn0.jpg

The W Irons and spring arrangement fittings are all either cut on the Cameo or styrene rod - a bit fiddly but immensely satisfying when it all came together.

• Like 4

Not quite :)

I had just intended a subliminal message to have a pint of the black-stuff on New Year's eve.

...R

I thought so but it triggered a memory of the fact that Steve at Narrow Planet spelled it wrong initially. It was only when Mike Edge pointed it out that either of us picked up on it. Steve very kindly replaced them with some spelled correctly.

The W Irons and spring arrangement fittings are all either cut on the Cameo or styrene rod - a bit fiddly but immensely satisfying when it all came together.

Rob,

why don't you make 1 set and cast them in Resin?

In the speed you make new models you will need a lot more....

Ed

• Like 1

Steve very kindly replaced them with some spelled correctly.

Now I am more confused than ever (what's new :) ).

Do you mean it really should have been spelled "Guinnness" - like the drink?  I had assumed Gunness was a placename.

...R

Edited by Robin2