Simond

Thanks Ray

Am I supposed to ask the boys at the sailing club if they have an old sail they don't want any more, or wait til they're paralytic, and help myself? :)

I think we'd be looking at pretty light sails - but it certainly looks like an interesting option. I shall look out for some. Maybe they stock sensible sized bits in craft shops?

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Rather dangerously, I've had another thought. Your local Co-op store will have a 'bag for life', black with a load of white lettering on the outside (or green if you'd rather). I've just checked - it is a fine woven fabric, made from two plastic bottles - so you could recycle the recycling. I reckon it would do the job fine, the white printing doesn't print through on the inside, and I reckon with a bit of low heat from a soldering iron, you could iron in some nice creases. One bag, costing a quid, would most likely do enough bellows for 50 coaches, and you wouldn't need to colour it. I think it would be better than a Fedex envelope and it would be cheaper than plying your sailing club with enough booze to get them paralytic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't in super form over the weekend, suffered horrid sinusitis, but the antibiotics have got it by the tender bits, and I'm feeling rather better.

A few months back, I purchased the decoder from a Lionheart 45xx on the guild website, I assume he didn't want a digital loco. Well, I have a Springside 45xx, and having picked up the ESU 51967 Adapterlokplatine from Coastal DCC at the Canterbury show in Saturday morning (before I felt really grim!) I have it fitted.

I needed to adjust the chuff rate to suit the Portescap drive (cv267 = 170 appears to work well) and I haven't yet sorted the firebox light, but I'm well pleased. The sound project is absolutely superb.

post-20369-0-37920500-1453845836_thumb.jpeg

As you can see, a plasticard soundbox supports the speaker, and the decoder mounts nicely on a frame spacer under the cab.

If anyone can send me a scan of the instructions from the Lionheart loco, I'd be very grateful.

Best

Simon

• Like 2

Happy birthday that's looking good is that a sound chip what you would put in a 00 loco or is it a XL one as I was thinking of using the smaller ones to go in my DMUs.

Steve

Edited by spenc

Thanks!

The sound chip in the 45xx chassis picture is a Zimo 644, good for 4 & 7 mm scales. It's not an XL. Other H0/OO/0 chips are similar.

I suspect that the speaker would be a challenge in 4mm, it's 32mm diameter and 17 mm high!

Best

Simon

• Like 1

TTG,

Richard confirmed to me that it's a 21 pin 644. If I had another 45xx I'd bite your hand off, I'm really impressed with the sound. I could put one in one of my other locos waiting for sound, but..

Dean goods, no, Pannier would be better (inside cylinders, similar smoke box, similar boiler & firebox)

Hall, no, way too big

1366, maybe, just, hoping someone is going to do a prototypical one when the Heljan 00 one comes out.

47xx, never, huge!

Yet to build 1361, maybe,

Yet to build 43xx, at a push, still too big

Yet to build Dukedog, again Pannier would be more realistic, as above.

The other thing is trying to ensure that no two locos sound identical. Challenge!

Mm, maybe for one of the 13xx's. You could PM me....

Best

Simon

• Like 1

The Minerva Peckett has Paul & Paul's sound system fitted.  The sounds are very nice, I haven't yet adjusted the volume to my liking, it's a tad quiet, but that's personal taste.

What it has that is just great fun, is a significant amount of inertia, and a brake function. 

F2 operates the brake, (with steam sound) and it slows most prototypically. 

A couple of goes and you can kiss the buffers very nicely.  And of course crash into things when you're a bit cavalier about it.  Most excellent sport!

best

Simon

• Like 3

I've been working on a project for a little while, in some depth since a trip to mid Wales back in September, and after lots of keyboard work, the very first concrete steps happened today!

post-20369-0-79930700-1454178683_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-49823200-1454178285_thumb.jpeg

Had access to a whopping great 120W Epilogue laser. This is part of the test cut on soft card. There were some issues with translation of the DXF files, resulting in some lines being only cut 50%, but as a first go, I'm quite chuffed.

The shed is Aberystwyth, as some of you might recall, I've been chasing details. MrsD & I made a site survey, courtesy of the VoR who could not have been more helpful. Thanks to them, and to the various contributors, I'm confident that the drawings & CAD model I have created is pretty much as good as it can be, and all that is required now is to master the laser, etched brass for the steelwork, (or maybe plastruct in places) and have the time to build it.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 8

Been weathering....

post-20369-0-29891100-1454441695_thumb.jpeg

Not quite there, particularly the cab roof, on which the combination of Humbrol Matt black and Johnson's baby powder did not do the trick, but I'm quite pleased so far. I also want to paint the pipe work "copper colour" - ideally metalcote, but I'm not sure I've got any...

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 10

Been weathering....

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Not quite there, particularly the cab roof, on which the combination of Humbrol Matt black and Johnson's baby powder did not do the trick, but I'm quite pleased so far. I also want to paint the pipe work "copper colour" - ideally metalcote, but I'm not sure I've got any...

Best

Simon

Looking nice Simon. Repainting the red pipework will make a big difference. The directors and owners of Minerva Model Railways Ltd approve.

• Like 1

Is the red incorrect?

Hi Kev

It's copper pipe, I doubt very much it was painted. There is a photo somewhere... I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe David's (IsembardUK) web page?

The sandbox rods may have been red on some locos but I doubt it on a GW version. And I'd be very surprised if they stayed that way for any length of time on what is very definitely a truck-shover. But between & inside the frames was traditionally red, so perhaps, maybe...

Best

Simon

• Like 1

It's copper pipe, I doubt very much it was painted. There is a photo somewhere... I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe David's (IsembardUK) web page?

The sandbox rods may have been red on some locos but I doubt it on a GW version. And I'd be very surprised if they stayed that way for any length of time on what is very definitely a truck-shover. But between & inside the frames was traditionally red, so perhaps, maybe...

Thanks Simon. I must of been having a thickie moment.

Of course, the pipe work would have been copper, with brass fittings.

I suspect the sandbox rods would have been black, with just the reverser rod painted red.

I'm going to detail and finish my Peckett soon, so that's another job to add to the list :)

Is the red incorrect?

Industrial locos were really a law unto themselves and that is part of the attraction of modelling them. The SHT/GWR/BR Pecketts almost certainly had unpainted pipework, but in later years it was probably too filthy to discern from a distance. The sandbox rods were probably black in GWR and BR ownership, but may have been red on industrial locos.  It is not difficult to remove the pipework and rods for repainting. On many industrial locos the coupling and connecting rods were also painted red, but we opted for blackened metal on the Peckett as it is easier to paint over if red is required. Chris and I believe most 0 gauge modellers are capable of making the necessary adjustments to suit their requirements.

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Mikkel,

That was pretty damn quick!!!!

Cheers

Simon

I have a GWR radar on my head  :)

Glad to see I'm not the only one using Johnson's baby powder. It does look a bit odd sitting there on the workbench though.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1