Dead Digital Camera

• RMweb Gold

My wife's 5 year old Olympus C-370 camera gave up the ghost at the weekend - it refuses to turn on. The man in the shop said it would be un-economic to repair, considering both the cost and the limited specification.

So what can I do with it? As far as I know the screen should still work - can it be extracted and used somewhere else (preferably in a modelling situation... ) ? How complex would the controlling software need to be to generate a picture ?

I've no ideas/ knowledge in this area, so any help would be welcome.

Ta

Stu

• RMweb Gold

My wife's 5 year old Olympus C-370 camera gave up the ghost at the weekend - it refuses to turn on. The man in the shop said it would be un-economic to repair, considering both the cost and the limited specification.

So what can I do with it? As far as I know the screen should still work - can it be extracted and used somewhere else (preferably in a modelling situation... ) ? How complex would the controlling software need to be to generate a picture ?

Ta

Stu

It could be the screen that has gone short, pulling the general supply down - unless you want to waste some time I would file it in the suitable round file (the bin)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Dave, that was the suggestion from the bloke who sold me a new Kodak for ??90... Just seems a waste to ditch the whole lot if it can be partly reused.

(Just the miser in me, I guess).

Stu

False economy or law of diminishing returns buddy; so much of this kit is bespoke to its original use that you'll live three lifetimes and still not find a use for it. True of most things in my scrap/ spares bin, except the really obvious stuff like rod, tube, mesh and wire...

I too absolutely hate the seeming waste in a failed digital camera, but being experienced in photographic and electronics, it is usual on failure not to be able to service the cameras. Only total board replacement can be done, and it's not economical to do.

However, it is feasable to buy, say, three or more failed cameras and use parts from each to get things running, but you have got to have skill and patience to work with the minute connectors and wiring, and it's pot luck to hope each camera has a different fault. The above approach can pay off with SLR cameras, they cost peanuts broken, but are still expensive new.

Replacements are now much cheaper for the performance, and there's always Ebay for S/Hand as well.

By the way always check the batteries contacts as source of failure, and the contacts between the memory card and camera, both are common faults and are very easily cured.

Hope this helps,

Stephen.

Ta

Stu

Presumably you've tried fresh (known to be good) batteries. Otherwise, try plugging it in to the computer with the USB cable, then turn it on and see if the computer sees anything. Does it have a DC jack for external power supply? Worth a try.

I would think using the screen for anything else would be nightmarishly difficult. It's not like you can just plug them in like a VGA screen. Shame really. Was it going to be a display on a boxfile??!

What he said. It's worth Googling 'fault fixes (or modes) [your make and model]' just in case; I was able to fix a digital camera of my daughter's on about the fifth permutation of fixes from a list of say a dozen. It does very much depend on age and obsolescence though, as others have said. Good luck wink.gif

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all your replies.

I had already tried most of the suggestions above, (except the battery contacts - those inside not on the lid), all to no avail.

The intention was to use it somewhere on a more modern layout - showing a pop concert or football match in a public place, for example, but never mind, it's going.

Thanks again chaps.

Stu

It could be the screen that has gone short, pulling the general supply down - unless you want to waste some time I would file it in the suitable round file (the bin)

Rather then toss a lump of plastic in the bin, it might be worth seeing if there any any groups who take in dead electronics for spares or other uses.

It always pains me to see gagets get thrown out given how much plastic and non-particularly common metals they contain.

• RMweb Gold

lob it on ebay, 99p start so you get no listing fees (watch out for the mandatory free postage that applies to certain categories though!) Someone might take it off your hands, we did this with a Panasonic TZ1 that would not focus, got a few quid for it, better than tossing it .....

Rather then toss a lump of plastic in the bin, it might be worth seeing if there any any groups who take in dead electronics for spares or other uses.

It always pains me to see gagets get thrown out given how much plastic and non-particularly common metals they contain.

There's a place near me in South Liverpool, (Hunts Cross to be exact) which takes in various old/broken objects, such as old tv's, microwaves, washing machines etc, to use to teach young people repair skills etc... Might be worth having a look in the back of the local paper?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again for all the recent replies, rest assured the camera will be disposed of in an eco-friendly way. (Not hurled off the nearest high building which was SWMBO's reaction when it wouldn't work...)

Stu

The bin is the wrong place for it - its waste electronic equipment, it goes for waste electronics recycling (take it back for recycling when you buy a replacement). You'll find modern stuff has a sort of 'no wheeliebin' logo including model rail stuff - that means what you would think (and split out the battery if its loose)

It'll then get broken down for the more valuable components and material recovery gets done on the rest.

• RMweb Gold

The bin is the wrong place for it - its waste electronic equipment, it goes for waste electronics recycling (take it back for recycling when you buy a replacement). You'll find modern stuff has a sort of 'no wheeliebin' logo including model rail stuff - that means what you would think (and split out the battery if its loose)

It'll then get broken down for the more valuable components and material recovery gets done on the rest.

I sometimes wonder why I bother replying to any questions on this forum any more - I assumed the OP would dispose of it as he sees fit rather than literally "in the bin"

Archived