RMweb

Ready-to-lay OO Track and Pointwork - moving towards production

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

I can't comment on what Peco are doing.

I have some drawings that I need to get to toolmakers so that they can give me some estimates for costs. I have also, at last, come some rail samples heading my way in the post that were promised some time ago.

A lot of work still to do and I have been rather time-committed with other stuff going on.

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed a post from January which I missed. Apparently Peco would be having only one type of crossing (presumably "live" but isolated) in their range, a huge step forward. Has anyone further details of their plans for this?

• 5 weeks later...

Apropos the DCC Concepts points, I read that:

"The check rails extend one sleeper beyond the ends of the wing rails of the crossing"

While I really have very little idea what this means, it may represent an advantage for your product! 

• RMweb Gold

Apropos the DCC Concepts points, I read that:

"The check rails extend one sleeper beyond the ends of the wing rails of the crossing"

While I really have very little idea what this means, it may represent an advantage for your product! 

I think this was identified as a mistake by the builder and was later rectified.

Yes, I had seen yesterday's posts, but I had understood the discussion to conclude that there was no error with the kits, the fault being attributed to the kit builder, but did not understand this to refer to the apparent mistake in the ready to lay version.  Perhaps I am being hard of understanding.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I had seen yesterday's posts, but I had understood the discussion to conclude that there was no error with the kits, the fault being attributed to the kit builder, but did not understand this to refer to the apparent mistake in the ready to lay version.  Perhaps I am being hard of understanding.

Ooooh it could be me that's misunderstood....

There is a pic of a kit built one in this thread, but please note the comment re the wing rails which have been made incorrectly by the kit builder and do not conform to the drawing.  Apparently there is a pic in Hornby magazine, but I haven't seen it yet...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/110254-dcc-concepts-oo-gauge-bullhead-turnouts/

Thanks Gordon, I had seen that previously.  I discounted it though, as it's kit built there are shiny blobs of solder where there should be nicely detailed chairs, so probably not that representative of the RTR version?

What I hope for is something that resembles this:

post-238-0-72483100-1461056623_thumb.jpg

(allowing for the fact that this is a P4 kit!)

without me having to assemble it.  My assembly skills result in a great deal of swearing and a messy job!  The beauty is in the chairs and the rail.... I know people say they can't see the difference between FB and BH from three feet away, but weirdly I can.

• Like 1

The chairs are separate moulding from the ties/sleepers. I appreciate you can get more detail than PECO but not as good as that as an all in one/rtr  type deal (because of the chair differences).

Don’t the chairs vary from one railway company to another? Most will not care but the nitpickers always seem to have the loudest “voices”.

Good luck in your endeavor, however.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I think that Richard Johnson has made fairly clear, both in the press and on his thread here, that different chair types will be represented on the B7 turnout. But yes, each railway had slightly different chairs, particularly with respect to the number of fixing bolts, and one can not deal with that variety on an r-t-l product.

He acknowledges that it was perhaps not a good idea to use the kitbuilt (from etched brass components) turnout to illustrate the new range.

I had to deliver Mrs the Dr Gerbil-Fritters to the train station (haha) at lunchtime so I had a quick peek at Hornby Mag in Smiffs.

I have to say, the pic of the DCC rtr BH turnout looked very good, although it was a frustratingly small picture.  The text made mention of 15 different type of chair mouldings.  

Looking at the quality and unexpected wibbly bits on my US plastic diesels, I believe them.  There's almost nothing can't be done in RTR plastic these days.

Looking forward to seeing more of them, and soon.

• Like 1

The chairs are separate moulding from the ties/sleepers. I appreciate you can get more detail than PECO but not as good as that as an all in one/rtr  type deal (because of the chair differences).

Don’t the chairs vary from one railway company to another? Most will not care but the nitpickers always seem to have the loudest “voices”.

Good luck in your endeavor, however.

Best, Pete.

Agreed.  Plainly DCC Concepts should expect everyone to use Great Western 2-bolt chairs.

The text made mention of 15 different type of chair mouldings. 

Yes - that's about the number of different chair casting that are used in a bullhead rail turnout (don't ask me how I know :) )

It's not just a case of getting them to look right either. They also have to be fully functional, hold the rail at the desired angle while maintaining the gauge within tolerance, and accommodate manufacturing tolerances in the rail itself. Making the final commitment to cut the dies will give the development manager some sleepless nights and grey hairs.

• Like 1

Agreed.  Plainly DCC Concepts should expect everyone to use Great Western 2-bolt chairs.

They could always make 'em with six bolts and let the customers slice off the ones they don't want.