Weather induced panic part 2

• RMweb Premium

EC have imposed an emergency timetable due to expected disruption in the north and Scotland. As a result London to York is now 3 hours instead of 2. All the times are now inconvenient for regular commuters (it is impossible for me to get into work for 09:00 for example). Oddly most of the extra time in the timetable is SOUTH of Doncaster whilst Doncaster to York is pretty much unchanged.

At least it avoids the inevitable delay repay and delay compensation arrangements kicking in - bully for them and blow the paying customer ...

What are we coming to?

It may also be the fear of a train running into a fallen tree at speed. Safety is paramount. There is also a real danger of damage to the OLE. Nobody wants passengers stranded on a train in the middle of nowhere with no power, heat or light.

Well, the way the wind is blowing in Tyneside at the moment, I can understand the restrictions. I'd be worried about driving, what with all the bins blowing around the streets, not to mention tents (who on earth throws out a small tent on day like this ...). 

• RMweb Premium

It may also be the fear of a train running into a fallen tree at speed. Safety is paramount. There is also a real danger of damage to the OLE. Nobody wants passengers stranded on a train in the middle of nowhere with no power, heat or light.

Having experienced that in January 2005 I agree wholeheartedly. Two hours stranded in the wilds of nowhere between Darlington and Northallerton with wires down in front of and behind our train, whilst being buffeted by severe gale force sidewinds is not good for the nerves. An eventual Durham to London journey time of Ten hours is not something I'd wish to repeat either.

Regards,

John

Edit to correct typo

Well, it seems like at least "the authorities" can tell the difference between a newspaper making September predictions of a snowy winter, and a proper Met Office warning to batten down the hatches. 

It looks pretty bad from http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/travel-chaos-on-rail-roads-as-90mph-winds-batter-scotland.1386224200

and other sources

Sooner be stuck on a train for 10 hours than in a car on a motorway.

H & S gone mad. Run a basic service, run it slow and safe.

Windy here in Wigan, trains are running, though late.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Sitting in my conservatory by WCML near Carnforth. Weather dreadful, howling gale and driving rain. Overhead wires swinging about.

I was driving a bus early this morning, one tree down and lots of branches on road.

I can well understand why trees cancelled.

Just got my head wet, wind has just damaged conservatory roof while I'm typing.

As David H said in post #8  about Tyneside, if its as windy most places as it is here I really wouldnt want to be on a train swerving around fallen branches etc :O

That's a common misconception Mickey - that big round thing in the cab is the handbrake, not the steering wheel...

Having experienced that in January 2005 I agree wholeheartedly. Two hours stranded in the wilds of nowhere between Darlington and Northallerton with wires down in front of and behind our train, whilst being buffeted by severe gale force sidewinds is not good or the nerves. An eventual Durham to London journey time of Ten hours is not something I'd wish to repeat either.

Regards,

John

In the good old days with heavyweight coaching stock and heavyweight steam locos the wind would have been the loser.

And 'wires down' wouldn't have been a problem either.

I don't know, young people these days. Puff of wind and it's the acropolips (or something like that?).

I can remember crawling to school in Force 10 hurricanes wearing the family shoe and blanket etc. etc. etc.

Seriously though - I'm glad I'm nice and warm indoors!

There are occasionally good points about retirement.

ie - not having to go to w**k (4 letter word) in this :no:

Looks like there's problems on the wcml nice black bag or garden membrane wrapped round the live line on the down slow phoned the local box which I think is rugley causing a few delays by the sounds of it

Archived