Weather induced panic part 2

This flight attempted to land at Leeds/Bradford at least 3 times

Jamie

Probably sideways on to the runway going by films I've seen previously!

EDIT - beautiful clear blue sky, no rain and it seems to be calming down.

Panic over????

Some people just enjoy a whinge or a chance to criticise, so if there's no warning of storms they complain about the lack of warning, if there is a warning and people take what they consider to be appropriate precautions, they complain about that. Presumably, if their own homes were under threat, they would ignore the warnings, do nothing and then complain about the water coming in. 

• RMweb Premium

Probably sideways on to the runway going by films I've seen previously!

EDIT - beautiful clear blue sky, no rain and it seems to be calming down.

Panic over????

It eventually landed at Liverpool.

• RMweb Gold

The winds and rain hit crewe in the last hour or so, still windy now but really sunny!

I can hear lots of police cars and ambulances going past on the main road now too, reports on local radio of road blockages in stoke due to a fallen chimney

• RMweb Gold

Note also the BBC Scotland report had a "don't drive" message from the Police - so the roads are/were also badly affected.

I do sympathise with people unable to travel, but I'd rather be stuck at home with some access to food & facilities than marooned on a train in the middle of nowhere. As for 'slow running', surely the visibility would be non-existant, so trains would literally be crawling to be able to stop in event of debris (hay bales! Very likely to cause damage).. What kind of service would that be?

Mind you I'm in the South-west with just a lively breeze, so what do I know? ;)

• RMweb Premium

whoops!

Thats the shed roof needs re-felting :D

Ah, it wasn't your shed roof that had to be cleared from the ECML near Donny this morning then?

Colleague sat next to me travels to York from Darlington. That's normally a half hour journey, it took her 1hr 40 min approximately and the train was 2hrs 27 minutes late arriving in York ...

So many problems with trains, excuses over leaves etc, let alone this extreme conditions.

They are so useless, why do we love them so much and model them??????

Perhaps that is why the 'oldies' love the steam so much they have forgotten how dirty, late, and inconvenient they were, travelling through tunnels on the preservation ones show how much soot, coke, etc they kicked out.

Glad that the powers that be are taking precautions if you live by the coast in Essex you should be really worried ,on the BBC red button travel news for Scotland numerous overturned vehicles .and a lorry driver killed by his overturned lorry.Down here in Bucks the wind is getting stronger so glad that people are taking precautions/

Ah, it wasn't your shed roof that had to be cleared from the ECML near Donny this morning then?

Colleague sat next to me travels to York from Darlington. That's normally a half hour journey, it took her 1hr 40 min approximately and the train was 2hrs 27 minutes late arriving in York ...

Looks like Bittern made it to Newcastle, but not at 90mph....:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54648/2013/12/05/advanced

It would appear Scotrail/Network Rail have effectively thrown in the towel tomorrow over concerns around potential high winds: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/reduced-services-5-dec-due-network-rail-speed-restrictions

You have to wonder if we can expect more of these reactions/excuses/liability dodging exercises in the future.

Perhaps you might like to have a look at the BBC News website and consider the amount of actual damage that has occurred today. Not only railways but roads and power supplies have been seriously affected (railway staff have to get to work somehow, and railways depend on reliable electricity supply to operate). If YOU were the manager of a railway company, would you ignore Met Office Weather Warnings and send trains out at line speed hoping that nothing goes wrong ? Do you fancy being in court on a corporate manslaughter charge ?

We've just received a phone call alerting us to a possible evacuation ahead of tonights high tide ... I wasn't worried before, but am now as we live at the top of a steep hill atleast 30 feet  above the maximum recorded high tide mark ... :O

• RMweb Premium

I hope we don't get one of those warnings.  As we are 500' above sea level there may be a few other very worried people if we do.

Jamie

Seriously I hope that it goes well and that flood defences hold.  It must be an awful experience to be flooded out.

• RMweb Premium

Now on EC heading home. The train I am on is not on the emergency timetable so it seems the published emergency timetable has been replaced by an emergency, emergency timetable!

Still I am grateful that there is any service at all and must say well done to all the boys and girls that are working hard to make everything happen.

Looks like Bittern made it to Newcastle, but not at 90mph....:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54648/2013/12/05/advanced

I waited for a very long time at Northallerton to see Bittern. There was an all-embracing 50mph speed limit north of York but Bittern, running over an hour late, eventually went through Northallerton at around 25mph. It was the only train going north apart from those heading off towards Middlesbrough.

Totally OT as all is well here, far from any problems.

Bittern was a magnificent sight, gently simmering away at York, as I saw it while heading south on the ECML on Tuesday.

Makes a change for me to get home ahead of bad weather.

Hope you all keep safe tonight.

I just about remember 1953 when I was living in south Essex. Images of Canvey Island and over the river in Gravesend remain in my memory.

Bernard

It was a wee bit windy this morning going to work, bits of trees blowing off them across the road, not easy to see in the pitch dark, disconcerting when they hit the car, but all employees made it in on time except one with roof damage (a bit late after checking & mopping up)  :angel:   Max wind speed between 90 & 105, take your pick  :boast:

The surfers would have some good waves out west in the islands - if they could stand up

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

I turned up at Man Picc. to get a train south at 1650 today to get a train south to find that just about everything south of the airport was canceled (Virgin were managing 1 an hour to London). Every hotel in central Manchester was booked solid, I eventually managed to get a room out at Old Trafford. Hopefully they are running tomorrow.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

It would appear Scotrail/Network Rail have effectively thrown in the towel tomorrow over concerns around potential high winds: http://www.scotrail.co.uk/content/reduced-services-5-dec-due-network-rail-speed-restrictions

You have to wonder if we can expect more of these reactions/excuses/liability dodging exercises in the future.

Can we expect an update on what really happened where you are?

I;v e just had a look on flight radar 24

http://www.flightradar24.com/BEE729

This flight attempted to land at Leeds/Bradford at least 3 times and now appear to be heading back for Belfast.  I suspect that the sick bags are in use.

Jamie

Emirates 777 tried to land at Birmingham at lunchtime, bailed after third attempt and went to Gatwick. Three more in a holding pattern for 20 min after that due to wind shear. Not much fun for the crew and pax.

Cheers

Shane

• RMweb Premium

Due to all the problems on WCML, my wife was having difficulty getting back from Manchester to Carnforth. She say full marks to Virgin Trains staff at Preston for providing food and drink to all the passengers.

Big suprise at 1930 when man from Carnforth Windows called and repaired conservatory roof. That's what 8 call service. Hopefully I can watch trains from it tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

And thanks to those RM webbers for their support today. It was quite a shock when rain started coming in through conservatory roof as I was posting a message. Lots of duck tape managed to hold the errant roof panel in place until the storm was over Another gust of wind could have taken the whole roof off. Phew.

Sitting in my conservatory by WCML near Carnforth. Weather dreadful, howling gale and driving rain. Overhead wires swinging about.

I was driving a bus early this morning, one tree down and lots of branches on road.

I can well understand why trees cancelled.

Just got my head wet, wind has just damaged conservatory roof while I'm typing.

Hi Colin.

Who do you work for?

Is it the terrible Worst group or the dreaded Slavecoach?

Judt remember a double decker was blown over in Norfolk (UK) the other week in those high winds.

I spent a while watching the sea at Littlestone at 0100, luckily the forecast surge tide didn't seem to get past Folkestone! So the RHDR is safe.

Archived