Weather induced panic part 2

The first big blow of this year did not affect me in my little 7.5Tonner, but this one did.

I was sat at a customer in Cambridge, just by the A14, and I could feel the wind blowing and rocking my vehicle, and as I drove out of Cambridge, I saw a tree had fallen on top of a car.

With the wind, rain and extreme high tides I feel that restricting travel was the right thing to do - especially as I saw fallen trees in Newark and Lincoln on Friday, I'm glad that it is easing now.

We had booked to stay in Boston some weeks ago. So this morning when I found out that it had flooded and no trains I thought that we would be making alternative plans.

Ian

On thursday, Boston residents were advised to evacuate to a sports centre to the west of the town, but that looked to be at risk of flooding as well, so everyone who was there were then evacuated to Grantham.

But not everywhere suffered, my co-worker lives in Kirton and he didn't get flooded at all.

We  are heartbroken about the baby seals all gone at Hemsby.We used to love going down to see them when it was sunny and quiet and our little grandson  saw his first seal pup  last year .Now it seems they are all gone as are much other wildlife caught in natures whirl.

Think that the right actions were taken just look at those houses in Norfolk and other places caught in the surge at least it was not like 1953 no communications then but vastly different now and  different transport systems .I hope that in future this action will be taken at least its not like the air problems today as usual no information and lots of angry passengers why fly internaly in the UK go by train.

• RMweb Premium

We  are heartbroken about the baby seals all gone at Hemsby.We used to love going down to see them when it was sunny and quiet and our little grandson  saw his first seal pup  last year .Now it seems they are all gone as are much other wildlife caught in natures whirl.

Donna Nook as well I should think?

P

Think that the right actions were taken just look at those houses in Norfolk and other places caught in the surge at least it was not like 1953 no communications then but vastly different now and  different transport systems

The 1953 disaster seems to have been something of a national disgrace with a degree of government complacency. Basically, nothing was done to warn people living in often fairly marginal housing as the storm surge worked its way down the coast over the course of many hours. There were communications in 1953, at the very least via local police stations. Storm surges working their way down the East coast and building in height due to the funnel shape of the North Sea have been fairly regular occurences for centuries and it was only eight years after the war when Britain had a very well developed civil defence.

• RMweb Gold

The 1953 disaster seems to have been something of a national disgrace with a degree of government complacency. Basically, nothing was done to warn people living in often fairly marginal housing as the storm surge worked its way down the coast over the course of many hours. There were communications in 1953, at the very least via local police stations. Storm surges working their way down the East coast and building in height due to the funnel shape of the North Sea have been fairly regular occurences for centuries and it was only eight years after the war when Britain had a very well developed civil defence.

When I lived in Essex I found a fascinating book in my local library produced by Essex County Council after the 1953 floods.

From memory, it highlighted the problems of communicating with people as many of the police stations had no working telephones because of the problems caused by the weather prior to the surge.  Also very few people had any transport in the affected areas so evacuation was a problem.

There was also mention of the problems of predicting what was going to happen as weather forecasting was much less accurate then and there were relatively few tide gauges.  It was known there would be a very high tide but the actual height could not be accurately predicted.

On the whole, Sheringham in North Norfolk got off pretty lightly thanks in part to the massive concrete reinforcements put in place a few decades ago. Ugly as sin but they serve a purpose. I went down the day after to assess the damage to the lifeboat station and slipway, huge chunks of the promenade west from Sheringham town centre have simply been washed away together with a couple of significant landslides. There's currently no road or pedestrian access to the lifeboat station. A friend of mine who owns the seafront cafe on the prom is counting the cost after the waves came straight in through the security shutters and devastated the interior, ruining all the stock and fittings. One of the Sheringham lifeboat helmsmen took a series of photos during the surge, link below. Worth a look if you're interested.

post-17811-0-27765100-1386594693_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-76304700-1386594694_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-39189500-1386594696_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-80498300-1386594697_thumb.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/sheringhamlifeboat/photos_albums

• RMweb Gold

One newspaper article over the weekend indicated that this storm surge was in fact far worse than 1953 although as a result of action following that one damage to property and loss of life was massively less.  But as Lifeboatman's pics show the one thing we will never be able to control is the weather and its most extreme effects.

My aunt lived in South Benfleet just across from Canvey Island the waters came up her road opposite the station which is very steep and all you could see across Canvey was water.It was a terrible time and the people on Canvey were in a terrible state with many dead ,you can see the defences built afterwards and this time they held.Peoples resilience to disasters is not as good as in the fifties so the preperations taken now are a necessary evil plus people do not look out for their neighbours as then .

• RMweb Premium

In 1953 folk were just coming out of the war years and so they  were resilient but vulnerable due to lack of resources and infrastructure. I also believe that people did used to look out for one another more of the time and tended to know everyone in their area. However these days the response at the scenes of 'incidents' is often amazing with people risking their own lives for the sake of others. People are just more insular in their own communities, that is until there is an emergency.

P

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

No panic as such in advance of this evening's storm, however two SWT services have hit trees this evening: http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10886479.UPDATE__Train_hits_fallen_tree_in_Hampshire/?ref=var_0 also just on BBC South news.

And we're not getting it that badly compared with the north. Sort of points out the hazard, doesn't it?

Pete

• RMweb Gold

im currently sat in didcot waiting for my train to ratcliffe which has dissapeared off the radar around wooton bassettt jn, not looking good over there, flooding according to the signaller

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WTNBSTJ/2013/12/23/2053

and my train.....

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H67937/2013/12/23/advanced

thankfully ive got a van to sit in as its positively biblical here at the mo!!

• RMweb Premium

im currently sat in didcot waiting for my train to ratcliffe which has dissapeared off the radar around wooton bassettt jn, not looking good over there, flooding according to the signaller

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/WTNBSTJ/2013/12/23/2053

and my train.....

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H67937/2013/12/23/advanced

thankfully ive got a van to sit in as its positively biblical here at the mo!!

Would you normally take that all the way to Ratcliffe then Jim?? That's a long night if so!

Maybe you'll get lucky and get an early one?

• RMweb Premium

The storm force winds we've had here on the Cornish coast this evening have only just eased within the last 15 minutes. From the familiar roar and that sound of horizontal rain hammering my windows of the last 14 hours or so, its just gone eerily quiet!

• RMweb Gold

Would you normally take that all the way to Ratcliffe then Jim?? That's a long night if so!

Maybe you'll get lucky and get an early one?

the job is didcot to toton, not a bad job normally, 3 hours in leicester, sleeping time!

Archived