Am I going mad or what E BAY price

38c

Hi Guys,

As an aside,

I went bidding mad.

I have been looking for a PROTAR HONDA 250 six cylinder motorbike kit for years.

A couple of months ago 2 came up at the same time on EBAY, I won 1 of them , biggrin.gif but, at a price I would not have contenplated a few years ago. angry.gif but I have one biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Now TAMIYA have brought out a kit of the bike. At a lot less than I paid,wink.gif

Bah Humbug angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

• RMweb Gold

Also rather off-topic. In 2007 I bought a Nikon D40 - a nice little DSLR with which I've been well-pleased. I paid ??340 in Cecil Jacobs in Brum. The model is now officially discontinued - being only 6.1mp it's a bit out of date. Yesterday a "new" D40 with just the standard lens like mine, was at ??999 on e-bay with 10 mins to go, after 14 bids. The bidding appeared to be rational until 24 hrs before, when the bid increased by ??500! Is this some sort of scam?

Ah, collectors... a strange breed, sometimes....blink.gif

The guy selling the class 08 has a reputation for high prices. One of his recent offerings was a Triang Steeple cab for ??600, if i recall correctly, which was unusual as it had the TR logo not the circular coach decal that most examples have. He used to deal almost exclusively with Triang but I see that he has been offering other makes more recently at "substantial" prices. Take pity on him, he needs the cash for his other hobby which is not railway modelling.

Why do people regard ebay prices as too high? Something is only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it. If you put it on ebay too low there is a risk that it will not fetch what you expect. Too high and it doesn't sell.

Items on auction go to the highest bidder at the time. If they're prepared to pay that much then they're happy if they win it. Just because you think that it wasn't worth it doesn't mean that pplies to everyone else. Buy It Now is a shop - if you don't like the price then ignore it. People asking unrealistic prices are the ticket touts of our hobby.

There are serious modellers who want perfection and these days wouldn't start with a 50 year old model (the SR EMU came out as early as the mid-50s). But there are also those who want to run vintage models and get the models they couldn't afford when they were younger. There are rabid collectors/(investors?) who just want a mint example of everything which they will keep unused in a box away from the light. But just because you are a serious modeller doesn't mean you won't collect 50s and 60s items as well. For serious collectors the last thing you would want to do is to bash them, that may produce a more realistic model but it just destroys the value.

If you want to see serious OTT prices for 1960s EMUs, just look at the prices paid for the Hornby Dublo Class 501 inspired SR EMU, often well over ??200. They make the Triang ones look cheap by comparison.

But then the Dublo EMU is much rarer due to shortter production run and much higher initial cost. They are also prone to rust, which doesn't affect the Tri-ang one nearly as much (and is repairable).

Was it the norm for these lousy toys to not even have buffers factory-fitted, or is his item description 'as new, complete' inaccurate?

Was it the norm for these lousy toys to not even have buffers factory-fitted, or is his item description 'as new, complete' inaccurate?

Being Canadian it shouldn't have buffers at all, but the buffer stocks were part of the moulding and they didn't bother to alter that. The entire "transcontinental" range was full of weird things.

Keith

Poor Canada was fed all sorts of cr@p by our manufacturers (Dublo came up with a Duchess, an LMS brake van with a cupola and a class 20 less buffers in Canadian livery with British rolling stock to match (no they didn't look Canadian!) :huh::angry:). All these things are rare (and expensive) because, obviously, the Canadians didn't buy them! In the case of the 08 you'd be paying for the box! :blink: Australia didn't fare much better, but did at least get the NSWGR EMU.

Lima were also responsible for some strange objects. I have a SAR livery 4F - Standard gauge! <_< like all their South African stock.

Tim Shackleton reported on P4Talk recently that a Nu-cast J6 went for ??630!! Now that really is mad, particularly as it probably isn't a particularly good kit, and LRM now do an etched brass one, which you could buy and have someone make up for you for less! Note that this wasn't a seller asking for a silly price, but two buyers who got into a bidding war (and presumably lost all sense of reason as a result).

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at 160397994080 . I have a rake of six of these, they were very nice at the time, perhaps the best Stanier before Hornby's "Dull" offerings. There are still 5 days to go!!

Cheers, PC

• 2 months later...

I think that some people do just get caught up with the frenzy of bidding.

Over the weekend, I had my eye on some engineers squares, and in the end, I think that they went for £28 plus postage which brought them to £33. The crazy thing was that the same seller had the same set albeit with a slightly different description for £20 post free!

Complete lunacy.

I was outbid on some scenery by a twerp who failed to notice that the same seller had loads of the scenery up at the price I had bid. I wish they allowed you to IM the other bidder!

It also seems that the moment the words "Job Lot" are included in the description, a bidding frenzy starts, and most of the time, I have thrown out better stuff.

There's nowt so ###### as folk!

Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Archived