Am I going mad or what E BAY price

38c

Ive been following some Hornby Mk 1,s on E bay. They were maroon with Master Cutlet roof boards (2 comp and a brk) .They went for ??129.99 thats over ??43,00 a coach. Whats more 2 people bid over ??120.00.

What do you think

Dave

People will pay what they can afford, for what they want. What the price reaches depends upon how much they want the item, how much they can afford and how many other people want it.

Are three Hornby coaches worth ??130?

Not to me they're not, but obviously somebody thinks they are.

ebay is an auction, and that's what happens at auctions, the items go to the highest bidder. If you really want it that bad then you have no choice but to try to outbid the other bidders. Unlike a real room auction there is the clock ticking away and people do put in competing knock out bids just before the time limit is reached which may account for some of the prices.

However, there are some very nice items that don't sell at all or only get a single bid. Few people talk about their bargains on ebay, only the high prices they've seen others pay. Is it that we all keep quiet about our bargains or are there simply none to be had?

??40 odd for a coach is high, but if you want it and that's the only way to get it you have no choice.

I have seen a Triang 0-4-0 steeple cab on ebay alledgedly in MIB condition on a Buy It Now offer for ??625!!! http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item5635407098 The price is apparently justified by its rarity, it is one of the locos with the TR shield instead of the more normal round BR coach decal. But ??625? He also wants ??265 for one with the BR decals also in the same condition MIB. http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item563179e2a7 In my opinion that particular seller does tend to overprice his stuff.

Or you can do what I did, go round the swapmeets until you find one with the TR shield and pay ??20 for the loco, add a repro pantograph for ??15 or so, and buy an empty box on ebay for ??5-??10. May not be MIB with all the instructions but I still ended up with a very nice and rare loco for the money.

Yes, sure - this chap is certainly "enthusiastic" with his prices, have a look at this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RIVAROSSI-1948-MILWAUKEE-ROAD-4-4-2-HIAWATHA-LOCO-RARE_W0QQitemZ370214961564QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Trains_Railway_Models?hash=item563288019c

I was so astonished, i had to do some checking and yes! This appears to be a geniuine 1948 Rivarossi model - in other words, rather a poor model plus; no box, rather worn/marked and well used, surely even the most needy collector would only part with that kind of cash if the model were perfect!

Come on, i said to myself - who's going to want a model like that when a QUALITY brass model, very nicely painted can be had for a lot less - see;

http://cgi.ebay.com/HO-BRASS-NPP-MILWAUKEE-HIAWATHA-A-4-4-2-STREAMLINE-PTD_W0QQitemZ200382246237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains?hash=item2ea7b66d5d

And thats in the market where there is a good chance of getting a sale!

Needless to say, i simply had to send this chap a gently reminder of what he was up against! I'll let you know if he gives me a (printable) reply!

Cheers,

John E.

P.S. Well done Keith for your tenacity in getting what you want at the price you want - theres a lesson for us all, there!

It never ceases to amaze me, the price people will pay for stuff on ebay.. I've sold stuff for way above retail price, simply because some people don't bother to find out the price & availability of something before they bid... (thankfully...) The secret to obtaining things you want at the right price is to bide your time & keep out of bidding wars;- I eventually got a Hornby T9 for under half rrp, by waiting for one that ended at a strange time of day, & watching until the last 20 seconds before bidding my max bid... I must have watched a dozen or so go for more than I was prepared to pay beforhand, but eventually, you can get lucky....

I do think some peoples buy-it-now prices are nuts, however, particularly the guy advertising current Hornby stuff for double the price of the box-shifters...

Just to demonstrate that there are good deals to be had on ebay, I have just bought two brand new still sealed in their original packaging BEMO RhB buffer stops from their metal collection, which I admit are extortionate prices to start off with. They are not in current production and the most recent price I can find on the net is ChF36, which in todays tight economic climate makes them about ??24 each. Yes, BEMO stuff is very expensive new these days.

The price I paid was EUR 9.90 roughly ??9, and I was the only bidder. OK so there was postage from Germany on top of that which wasn't cheap, but they were still much cheaper than new, and they arrived today via Parcelforce despite the Royal Mail postal strike.

Hi Gents,

Our 'friend' referred to above DID have the courtesy to respond, quite politely but he did take issue with my statement that the Rivarossi wasn't worth anywhere near as much as the Brass loco also referred to (at a third of his price!). He said that the brass engine had no collector value and had no opportunity to increase in value!?!?!

I have no more to say to him on this matter as it looks to me as though he is of the firm opinion that his rickety old model is worth FAR more than it seems to me, i've only been an American modeller for twenty years now and i've never noticed early Rivarossi going for those prices - but i might be wrong, of course!

It simply seems to me that ebay IS still a place to pick up bargains BUT let patience rule as theres always another along soon &: CAVEAT EMPTOR

Well done again, Keith! I recently picked up the 'bible' of New Haven modellers/enthusiasts "New Haven Power" by Swanberg/Staufer - for ??20 + ??8 P&P!!! At the NMRA Crewe event, a chap had this for sale at ??65 and on US ebay, i've seen it advertised around ??100, guess how pleased i was!

Cheers all,

John E.

Hornby coach sets do sometimes attract a lot of attention. I have no knowledge of the Master Cutler set but I do know the Bournemouth Belle set was fetching over ??100 at one stage. Having said that, I got mine for less than ??60.

With Pullmans, it is the name/number being only available in that particular set that makes people bid high for them.

If the Rivarossi loco isn't suffering from 'mazak disease' then it really is rare!

If these are the going prices, some Rivarossi items will be leaving my collection! :rolleyes:

Bachmann chassis seem to be fetching good money at the moment.

With Ebay you potentially get a large audiance. If you chose a decent ending time (I preffer Sat or Sunday evening). List it in the correct section. Go to the trouble of adding one or two good photos and a detailed decription, you then stand a chance of getting a good price.

On the other hand do the opposite and there are good bargins to be had, which most of us have found. Recently for the price of a set of Markit wheels I also got with them a Comet J72 chassis and gearbox and a Mashima motor, not the cheapest or best deal I have had, but great value.

Also I brought 3 chassis recently for a ??1 plus ??3 p&p. I kept one, a Hornby Dublo 0-6-0t with Romford wheels and a K's mk1 motor with a flywheel fitted, which runs like a dream (will go under a Wills G6), kept a set of 27mm Romfords (ideal for a Jamieson A3 I brought off Ebay for a tenner)which were on an old brass chassis, I sold the chassis and a broken Mainline chassis. After charges etc I got about the same price for the 2 items as I paid for the 3 chassis. No large prices were paid or profits made, but I had a working chassis and a set of drivers for free, another person got a brass chassis cheaply and a third person got some Mainline spares again for a good price.

So with Ebay there is also a third side, of modellers/collectors exchanging items others need for a fair price. I doubt that if Ebay did not exist that these items would have been sold to anyone, they would have gone in the bin. So here's one for the sandle brigade, is Ebay helping to save the planet with recycling?. Certainly the Post Office and Royal Mail are benefitting

Being patient to get something you really want is also a bonus with eBay, if you have the money and can't wait then fair enough pay a fortune but otherwise wait.

For example:

Steam in S.Wales vol1 by Michael Hale, now on amazon for ??20

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steam-South-Wales-Valleys-v/dp/0860931129/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256830814&sr=8-1

but for about 2 years the only one was nearer ??100 like the only copy of vol5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steam-South-Wales-East-Glamorgan/dp/095272670X/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256830895&sr=1-34

now I missed two copies on eBay, one went for ??50, the other for ??35 when I missed my alarm on the sale. Last week though I took delivery of vol 1,2 and 3 for a total of ??12.67 (auction ??7.50 + p&p)! Clearly the competition had all got their copies by then!

If a seller thinks that something is worth far more than you do then the fact no one buys it will prove him wrong, there is no point in getting annoyed about it. I do sometimes feel a bit cheated when I think im going to get a bargain and some wally goes bidding through the RRP (Comet kit coaches are a case in point!).

Just occasionally something goes silly. A good example is tonight :

Lima West Highland coaches

The set of 4 Bachmann ones sell on ebay for about ??125, the set of 4 lima ones sold for ??182! (I have one of these sets in the loft, hence I was watching!). I'm glad I bought mine at about ??50 a few years ago.

Andy

10 Romford wheels (the type you had to put a thread in yourself) are going for ??50+ with just under 3 days to go. Markits sell them for ??4.35 each threaded !!! I think I paid last year ??2.35 each (retail), as I brought them just before the price went up and they were threaded. Still the proceeds are going to a model railway club

• RMweb Premium

You mean something like this.

:blink: GOB SMACKED :blink:

Terry/

[James May Mode] Now when the winning bidder has received said item I do hope he takes it out of its box, makes the kit up as per the instructions and then throws the box away, after all that is what it was originally intended for...:D [/James May Mode]

• RMweb Premium

[James May Mode] Now when the winning bidder has received said item I do hope he takes it out of its box, makes the kit up as per the instructions and then throws the box away, after all that is what it was originally intended for...:D [/James May Mode]

The final price was :icon_wow: :icon_eek: JAW DROPPED MODE :icon_e_confused: :icon_rolleyes:

Terry

The final price was :icon_wow: :icon_eek: JAW DROPPED MODE :icon_e_confused: :icon_rolleyes:

Terry

Bit like Wrenn or Rosebud Kitmaster, the rare stuff does fetch a fortune (I presume this is actually rare?!). Apart from the Kitmaster Pullmann I wouldn't touch this outdated stuff with a barge pole but then I never collect this stuff in pristine condition.

• RMweb Gold

A Hornby T9 - desirable model, huh? Southern modellers are inclined to agree, probably. So a secondhand version - SR #120 - in good condition selling for ??66 on e-bay today sounds reasonable, doesn't it? Until you read that the vendor made it quite clear it doesn't run!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item2c51baf85b

I like the class 60, but this seller does not add up to me??

Some items seem fair, others???

Managed to guess the name of the seller before even clicking on the link, Waverley Deltic has been mentioned in these hallowed halls before and is very much to be treated with Caveat Emptor! I notice his feedback has improved from the days of old though... His prices are still rip off mind.

He is best known (infamously?) for buying up large numbers of Ltd Editions and then bunging them on Ebay within minutes of them arriving in the shop/mag at inflated prices. IIRC he was the guy who infamously cleaned out the Glasgoe Expo a couple of years back of the Bachmann Scotrail 158 whilst the rest of the queue of punters looked on in disbelief!

Must say blank listings like this really annoy me, usually done to take advantage of cheap listing days they are then updated much later with the actual item for sale, needless it gives me a little thrill to use the report item function and get Ebay to pull it :D

Archived