Am I going mad or what E BAY price

38c

Must say blank listings like this really annoy me, usually done to take advantage of cheap listing days they are then updated much later with the actual item for sale, needless it gives me a little thrill to use the report item function and get Ebay to pull it biggrin.gif

Must say the guy sounds like a prize tosser - are blank listings even allowed?

As for him buying up limited editions at shows... it's a bit of a sad, squalid way to make a living, isn't it? Then again, while I guess they're happy to take the money, it would be nice if the traders would adopt a "2 per buyer" policy or something to discourage such behaviour. .

Managed to guess the name of the seller before even clicking on the link, Waverley Deltic has been mentioned in these hallowed halls before and is very much to be treated with Caveat Emptor! I notice his feedback has improved from the days of old though... His prices are still rip off mind.

He is best known (infamously?) for buying up large numbers of Ltd Editions and then bunging them on Ebay within minutes of them arriving in the shop/mag at inflated prices. IIRC he was the guy who infamously cleaned out the Glasgoe Expo a couple of years back of the Bachmann Scotrail 158 whilst the rest of the queue of punters looked on in disbelief!

Must say blank listings like this really annoy me, usually done to take advantage of cheap listing days they are then updated much later with the actual item for sale, needless it gives me a little thrill to use the report item function and get Ebay to pull it biggrin.gif

He's just recently posted some Heljan 47s at ??125 each, but with no details whatsoever, I was wondering what the rationale behind this was.

Not too long ago these were failing to sell new for less than half what this particular one went for.

I guess the secret is to stick a decoder in and save someone the hassle of doing it themself. Or am I missing something?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Itis not only ebay that can have ridiculous prices. Some traders at swapmeets are having a laugh charging more for 2nd hand goods than they can be purchased new. Bargains anywhere are rare.

I suspect an interesting variation on several of the Seven Deadly Sins might play a part in that. I frequent one auction regularly where two buyers - one of whom trades on Ebay under two different names while the other operates a secondhand/collectables business - often vie with each other to get a particular lot. The result is that they often pay over the odds and accordingly seek to make their outlay back in their onward prices.

The other day at auction I witnessed someone specifically, and in my view a tad stupidly, seriously outbid a rival just to make sure that the other bloke didn't get a single example of 3 similar 0 gauge locos. The winning bidder will almost certainly be selling on - unless he happened to have at least ??7,000 to spend on his hobby that day.

I don't condemn the practice because at auction anybody is free to go into competitive bidding against such people but I think lots of folk would be less than happy to pay more for a lot an auction lot than the same stuff would cost from many retailers.

I must say that particular seller gives me RAGE. Certainly takes advantage of free-listing days, and although I'd not heard of the odious practice of bulk-buying 'the shop' at exhibitions, this is plainly clear from the guy's listings. Still got Scottish 158s listed for what look like inflated prices.

He'd probably argue he's not doing anything wrong, this is just dog-eat-dog free market capitalism. Well perhaps it is, but all those blank listings are in breach because they don't actually contain anything tangibly for sale. Yes, just the little nuisance factor of reporting them does appeal to my WKD side.

EDIT: This was posted out of sequence. It was the Deltic nuisance I was referring to.

....??40 odd for a coach is high, but if you want it and that's the only way to get it you have no choice......

It is pretty much what you would pay for a Continental coach, and most DB/SNCF/FS/SBB, etc. modellers in the market for a new coach would probably pay ??40 without demur.

I have been looking to put a few smaller items of fairly low value on ebay but have not noticed any free listing days for nigh on 12 months. Where are such days advised?

There was a Free Sunday a couple of weeks ago; the banner ad will display on your home page as soon as you log in and before you proceed to My Ebay or your dashboard. The ad is usually a sticky for the preceding week.

• RMweb Premium

Some loons seem to be paying well OTT prices for the old Triang EMU, grotty condition or not. They are surely only worth tops fifteen quid a car I think and then you need to spend big bucks getting to look anything half decent!!

Just spotted this one:

linky

Now either these are really incredibly rare, such that collectors will pay top dollar for an unboxed, apparently incomplete set (surely a 2 car unit can't have a "centre car"...?), or someone is being rather optimistic...

These are rare, being only made for the Australian market, but no bids up to now suggests not that rare!

Full set here http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/OO/NSWR.html The 1962 catalogue on the same site lists it at ??6/9/6d, which might help to explain the rarity.

The Tri-ang EMU seems to be 'flavour of the month' at the moment. ??40 seems to be the going price for a reasonable example, which in real terms is about what it cost new. If you want a SR EMU R-T-R this is about your only option, even if it is 'based on' rather than scale. There is the Bachmann 4CEP of cours. :rolleyes:

Unfortunatley the triang sydney suburbans do sell for those prices...about 20 years ago I sold a very tatty power car to a collector for ~$200, given that I bought it from a mate at school for around $12 I did not think I did too bad.

The triang EMU phenomenon is quite odd at the moment, I saw a rewheeled and modified (i.e. couplers hacked off and other horrors) set at a local exhibition for $200, given it was boxed seemed to almost justify the price, especially when compared with the inflated prices of the other triang on offer...$150 for a princess, $175 for a black 2-6-2t with late crest?..

The other one to watch at the moment has been the EM2...some silly prices being asked there as well..

Unfortunatley the triang sydney suburbans do sell for those prices...about 20 years ago I sold a very tatty power car to a collector for ~$200, given that I bought it from a mate at school for around $12 I did not think I did too bad.

The triang EMU phenomenon is quite odd at the moment, I saw a rewheeled and modified (i.e. couplers hacked off and other horrors) set at a local exhibition for $200, given it was boxed seemed to almost justify the price, especially when compared with the inflated prices of the other triang on offer...$150 for a princess, $175 for a black 2-6-2t with late crest?..

The other one to watch at the moment has been the EM2...some silly prices being asked there as well..

Sydney Suburbans are rare in the UK because they were never sold over here and unless you know someone in Oz, most UK buyers can only get hold of one via ebay, and the ydon;t come up every week.

The EM2s, and Trix EM1s have been silly prices for many years now, but it depends what you meany by "silly". They're not that out of line with the cost of some new locos. However I thought I saw an EM2 go for ??70 last week, which if I'm right is about half what they normally fetch. Is it because the market gets softer at Christmas or is the boom in Triang locos starting to tail off as us baby boomers start dying off?

Just spotted this one:

linky

Now either these are really incredibly rare, such that collectors will pay top dollar for an unboxed, apparently incomplete set (surely a 2 car unit can't have a "centre car"...?), or someone is being rather optimistic...

No the decription is accurate, it is a motor car and a trailer/centre car. The prototype ran in 4 car sets with a motor car at each end and two centre cars. The guy obviously didn't have the non-powered motor car for the other end, which was R452A.

There are bargains to be had on ebay, I got :

Hornby Princess Alexandra ??46

Hornby West Country Bude ??52

Hornby A4 Sparrowhawk ??78

Bachmann A4 Nigel Gresley ??62

Hornby Class 08 diesel shunter ??19

4 blood & custard coaches ??12 each approx. (average price, items bought separately)

These are all new by the way.

as harbottle says , there are the odd bargains to be had , ive just took delivery of a brand new vitrains large logo 47 for ??43 delivered, mint/boxed/sealed details etc , cant be bad , although some people seem to pay silly prices for airfix/mainline/Dapol mk2d so coaches , ive seen them go up to ??30 each , the lima mk2f so coaches also go upto ??20.....................................

i suppose sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time on ebay .

I have been looking to put a few smaller items of fairly low value on ebay but have not noticed any free listing days for nigh on 12 months. Where are such days advised?

There have been several free listing days of the last 12 months

Some loons seem to be paying well OTT prices for the old Triang EMU, grotty condition or not. They are surely only worth tops fifteen quid a car I think and then you need to spend big bucks getting to look anything half decent!!

The people who buy them are probably doing it to put them in a case or complete a collection, not to detail them. There are better and cheaper ways of getting SR EMUs to run on a layout than bashing 40-year-old toys.

The people who buy them are probably doing it to put them in a case or complete a collection, not to detail them. There are better and cheaper ways of getting SR EMUs to run on a layout than bashing 40-year-old toys.

There are serious modellers who want perfection and these days wouldn't start with a 50 year old model (the SR EMU came out as early as the mid-50s). But there are also those who want to run vintage models and get the models they couldn't afford when they were younger. There are rabid collectors/(investors?) who just want a mint example of everything which they will keep unused in a box away from the light. But just because you are a serious modeller doesn't mean you won't collect 50s and 60s items as well. For serious collectors the last thing you would want to do is to bash them, that may produce a more realistic model but it just destroys the value.

If you want to see serious OTT prices for 1960s EMUs, just look at the prices paid for the Hornby Dublo Class 501 inspired SR EMU, often well over ??200. They make the Triang ones look cheap by comparison.

Archived