'Ashcombe'

georgeT

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to see Ashcombe is to find a new home but like others I learned from watching its build.

I've got a brilliant idea for you next (through station) layout though . . . . .

. . . . . Bitton (if someone else doesn't beat you to it)!

Hi Mate, re our phone conversation just now, I tried to Google Guildford Shed and I cant find any images of Bulleids inside, a couple in the Yard but that's about it.

IMHO I think you would get board with a Shed quicker than a Terminus, there is nothing to do except;

run in,

run out,

run in another one

run out another one,

Can you see where I'm coming from?

Sorry to see Ashcombe is to find a new home but like others I learned from watching its build.

I've got a brilliant idea for you next (through station) layout though . . . . .

. . . . . Bitton (if someone else doesn't beat you to it)!

Good idea Ray, then I can do a BLT and not worry about going across the door, hahhaha.

Morning George,

You could always go big and build a shed beside a 'roundy roundy'! My favourite region, the G&SWR, had the ideal candidate in Dumfries with the station next to the shed. Of course your Bulleids would look a touch out of place up there but there must be something similar in the Southern region?

Good luck with your decision,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Morning Gang,   Well the big day is nearly here and so 'Ashcombe' will be leaving on wednesday, sad but l need the space, also the finance will fund the new baseboards, track components and (2) Sound locos to boot, well you have to wheel'n'deal don't yer    ANSOME hahahaha

Hope to start the new project in November when l have ten days off, this time a lot more thought will be going into the baseboard construction, as l will use 12mm plywood for the frames which will be four inches wide to accommodate the depth of the tortoise motors,  topped with 9mm for the top....

George

Morning George, I'm looking forward to coming up with Mike Ray on Wednesday to collect Ashcombe, have some sugar in for my coffee, hahha.

I hope it goes in the back of Mikes car or I will be walking home, still its only 68 Miles.

You say 12mm ply for the sides on the new layout I would have though 6mm sandwich would be stronger but I'm not sure.

We / You need to sort out just what it is you want and then we  / you can work out a suitable Track Plan.

See you Wednesday mate, I will see if Mike can make it earlier so we have more time for me to fit the point motors.

Good Morning Pete,  When the interest has gone you have to move on like everything else in life, l have enjoyed the building of 'Ashcombe' and was very pleased with the end result, but l think any BLT gets boring after a while, whatever you bring in must again go out, so this time l want to build a nice yard with no station / goods shed or engine shed and just enjoy shunting around (till l get bored again) hahahaha  

But all is not lost as l have sold the layout to a very good friend, who might even exhibit 'Ashcombe' in the future, l don't think he will change the layout so 'Ashcombe' lives on. also l bought a nicely weathered (Sound) BR Green 08 off Bodgit a while ago, so l need a yard for it to work, as it sounds really good just ticking over in the yard....

Regards George

Hope to start the new project in November when l have ten days off, this time a lot more thought will be going into the baseboard construction, as l will use 12mm plywood for the frames which will be four inches wide to accommodate the depth of the tortoise motors,  topped with 9mm for the top....

George

That'll be nice and heavy then, hope you don't intend moving it! Ha.

I never really go to see Ashcombe, with so much on RMweb it's hard to catch up with everyone. But having been introduced at Relive. RMlive, I tracked you down (blame AndyP :triniti: )

So I will get the pleasure of seeing this one built from the boards up. And as you have previous experience, it is likely to go well. Plus Andy P will be on the case......which may or may not be a good thing.....

hat co......at       .......................running for dear life......LOL........ :jester:

edit = tsk tsk typing in RMlive with spellchecker trying to correct is such a pain....

Hello Ray / Andy / Jock / David / Jazz and the Gang,  Well today l finally said goodbye to 'Ashcombe' and sold it to Mike Ray, who had seen many pictures on the RMWebb via Bodgit and fell in love with her, and has also promised to look after her and put her up for exhibition in the new year. with Bodgit helping out,

Thanks go to Bodgit for arranging everything to do with the sell, he looked a little washed out after the trip up, but looked much better after a good old full english breakfast and cream cakes with the coffee at eleven, well done mate and thanks again.

Regards George

post-7716-0-16697700-1413990427_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-05503700-1413990442_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-55734600-1413990445_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-27009300-1413990449_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-69286200-1413990452_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Bodgit . . . . looked a little washed out after the trip up . . . .  

Regards George

Didn't anyone tell him that he could have travelled in the car and didn't need to run all the way behind it!

Hello Ray / Andy / Jock / David / Jazz and the Gang,  Well today l finally said goodbye to 'Ashcombe' and sold it to Mike Ray, who had seen many pictures on the RMWebb via Bodgit and fell in love with her, and has also promised to look after her and put her up for exhibition in the new year. with Bodgit helping out,

Thanks go to Bodgit for arranging everything to do with the sell, he looked a little washed out after the trip up, but looked much better after a good old full english breakfast and cream cakes with the coffee at eleven, well done mate and thanks again.

Regards George

Where's the rest of it?

Looking forward to see its replacement take shape.

Ray.

Morning George,

Just posted my thoughts on Bitton - 'Bodge' really is a good friend! Mike looks very happy with his acquisition as well and it will be good to see it on the exhibition circuit eventually which is indeed a compliment to the builder.

I'm now looking forward to the next modelling tutorial and want to thank you for the last one from which I made copious notes!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Good Morning Jock,  Thanks for the nice remarks on 'Ashcombe' very glad you found the thread useful, well the room looks pretty bare now that the layout has gone, poor old Bodgit has had to keep it in his potting shed which has annoyed him some what, Mike said to Bodgit that he needs to tell his wife first before he can take it home, so its at Bodgit's for a few days ?  can't understand the problems some guys have with wives ? better dash now as l have some washing up to do, and run the hoover round before SWMBO gets home ?  hahahahaha

George

Never had a problem like that with my wife bless her, but I know of others who have in other hobbies - One guy I knew of used to buy medals at medal fairs then go home and tell his wife that he had bought a medal for £20, when the real cost had been about £200 :scratchhead: - that was ok until he passed away and she sold them for what she thought they were worth to a dealer :O - another guy used to have items delivered to a friends house so that his wife did not know what he was buying ..... Hard to believe, but true.

Cheers, Bob.

...another guy used to have items delivered to a friends house so that his wife did not know what he was buying

That reminds me... I need to pick up a Hornby Q1 that *somehow* got delivered to my neighbour. I think I'll go and do it now while the wife's at the shops... :secret:

No secrets in our marriage...

Archived