'Ashcombe'

georgeT

Morning Gang,   l have sold 'Ashcombe' as l felt l had gone as far as l could, and have lost the interest in a small terminus, at the show on saturday l was being drawn more and more to the run through station idea, (fiddle to fiddle) the trouble l found is that with the BLT whatever comes in has to be broken down and ready to leave with the same train  most times ? great at first but it gets a little boring after a hour or two, plus any thing bigger than an 0-6-0 looks totally wrong..

So a new project is being drawn up where l can run a 9f with just a few steel wagons on, just crawling through, thats the plan anyway. l must say l have really enjoyed the building of 'Ashcombe' and have made so many good friends on the way, Thank you all for your comments, likes and help throughout the build they have been a great big help, 

Thanks again to everyone.   George

Morning George,

I think the thanks go to you as so many of us have learned a lot through following you along the thread. You also have to take the opportunity if a buyer appears!

Don't forget, if you're going to start a new thread, we need to know, so post the title on Lunester lounge or mention it on Andy's Bitton, I for one should hate to miss an episode!

Well done and kind regards,

Jock.

George,

it was a joy to participate in Ashcombe´s making via this forum and although it is a little sad, that it´s gone now, you have my full understanding of a layout from fiddle yard to terminus to get boring after a little while. It is for that reason I sold my On30 layout in the making and decided to build a "roundy-rounder" in N scale, because my available space won´t allow for a bigger scale.

Looking forward to your new project!

Morning George

I'm sorry to see that Ashcombe is no more. It's been a great journey with a lot learnt.

I hope there is going to be another layout to show you skills. Just don't forget to tell us.

Duncan

• RMweb Gold

Morning George

Whilst it is sad to hear thy Ashcombe is gone, I can fully understand why an wish you the best of luck with whatever follows.

I look forward to it with antici.....................pation.

Nestor

Hi George

Sorry to hear Ashcombe has gone - I have enjoyed watching your skilful progress, and even picked up a few tips on the way - I agree with Andy regarding a Depot layout, but then again its the same situation with running in and out - I Look forward to your next project.

Cheers, Bob.

Good Morning Jock / Ulrich / Duncan / Nestor / Adrian / Bodgit / Bob,  Thanks very much for the comment's, they mean a lot, l will be making a new layout soon, (Hempshaw) and will take photos every step of the way as was done with 'Ashcombe'.......l didn't know just how many people were following my thread...Thanks.

Be back soon..     George 

Morning Gang,  Well my mate Bodgit has come up trump's yet again, l will have to start calling him Mr Fixit, as 'Ashcombe' will be going to a new owner next wednesday thanks to Bodgit he just asked around his many contacts and found the perfect buyer who will look after it and possibly exhibit 'Ashcombe' in the future, so l am very pleased

Thanks Mate,       George

• RMweb Premium

Great tribute to Ashcombe that someone wanted to buy it.  Can't do much better than that.

To echo a few others, including a Depot / Yard would be good.  That way you could have your favourite locos or other stock on display.   :yes:

Alternatively, maybe have a (Not to be Moved) siding for withdrawals; "Sold" to preservationsists; or "I'm off on a Special. Do me up nicely, please".  That way, you won't even have to move them. :D

All the best for your new layout.  Hope to see you soon.

Polly

Hello Ray & Polly,  l really think its the building rather than the running, and l felt that l had finished 'Ashcombe' and have lost a lot of interest and it was just sitting there in the way, so it had to go, plus it will pay for the new project as l want SMP track and hand built points ?

l have a very heavy day on saturday early breakfast at Bury market / ELR visit / then watching Bury play Portsmouth and then into Manchester for drinks and a meal then last train home, so l will be unable to drive much before midday on sunday so the show will be missed, will you be at the show at Poynton in december ?

George

• RMweb Gold

Morning George,

Whilst I'm sorry to see Ashcombe go, and thoroughly enjoyed watching it come together, I can't wait to see the next one,

I think, for me, there's probably more interest in watching how you build things, than seeing the finished result, once it's done. Does that sound daft?

Anyway, looking forward to the next one.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Morning George,

Whilst I'm sorry to see Ashcombe go, and thoroughly enjoyed watching it come together, I can't wait to see the next one,

I think, for me, there's probably more interest in watching how you build things, than seeing the finished result, once it's done. Does that sound daft?

Anyway, looking forward to the next one.

Al.

Yes, that's what we want - watching you building buidlings and..,SMP track and.... :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

Polly

Hello Ray / Polly / Al,  Thanks for the comments folks, l really admire the guys who stick with their projects to the end without getting bored (like l do) there are so many great examples of this on here, Bacup / bakewell / Camel Quay to name just a few.

The new project l am thinking about is (as l seem to like everything that runs on rails) is to come up with some sort of yard where l can run ex-GWR on their own, or run ex- LMS without out mixing, so l run whatever l want ? plus making all the trackwork as well, but a lot of thought will be taken to make sure it works this time and not run willy-nilly like on 'Ashcombe' we'll see. hahaha

George

Morning Gang,   l have sold 'Ashcombe' as l felt l had gone as far as l could, and have lost the interest in a small terminus, at the show on saturday l was being drawn more and more to the run through station idea, (fiddle to fiddle) the trouble l found is that with the BLT whatever comes in has to be broken down and ready to leave with the same train  most times ? great at first but it gets a little boring after a hour or two, plus any thing bigger than an 0-6-0 looks totally wrong..

So a new project is being drawn up where l can run a 9f with just a few steel wagons on, just crawling through, thats the plan anyway. l must say l have really enjoyed the building of 'Ashcombe' and have made so many good friends on the way, Thank you all for your comments, likes and help throughout the build they have been a great big help, 

Thanks again to everyone.   George

Moorings G.

I am surprised   :O ,...........but, you have moved on, learnt a lot from it and put that experience,into the new project.........

Having faffed around with dp, for so long, I know what you mean by boring, but, I always' come back to it, because it is going to be my only layout.

Waited 40 year's to start it.................may take another 40 year's to finish.......... :no:

Morning mate, I am as bad as you, OR should it be the other way round?

When we were at the Great Electric Train Show last weekend I was drawn in the main to the small Layouts again, there were the small yards, the BLT's and that nice little shunting plank, Snug End. Now when I built Fiddlers Yard I wanted the best of everything, room for 8F and 9F's, Super D's etc, but also somewhere I could run Blue Diesels without it looking out of place. I could have got away with EWS had it not been for the Coal Yard.

Providing you leave buildings fairly neutral then most stock from most ears will look right, look at Bacup, the Mill and Terraced houses are all still there so it could be run from LMS / L & Y through to EWS with just a few things like the platform furniture and Vehicles being changed.

Here's a few of pics of Fiddlers Yard to see what I mean about being neutral. 

post-9335-0-17786000-1413540608_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-41602200-1413540742_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-88574400-1413540761_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hello Mate,  Know what you mean mate, small little layouts are great, but where can we run our Bulleid's and 9fs thats the problem ???

George

On a run-what-u-like heritage line.  :jester:

Pollynventive  :D

Archived